Traits we like

We hear the terms “good football players.” Looking at the guys we took, a few things started to stick out to me. From the neck up, we like relentless high character guys who have displayed that on and off the field in ways that put them into the role of Captain on their perspective college teams. Sometimes, multiple years and it’s hard for any under classmen at any level to be captains prior to their Senior years. One doesn’t walk in and say “I’m the Captain.” It’s something that has to be earned and in this case, earned among men in the warrior class arena of these guys’ day to day grind.

I’m starting to see the vision of what “football character” means when the staff says it. They can be a little different, and “colorful.” It’s not a Drill Sgt. mentality like that last turd. But they all seem to be the guys their former coaches say put in the extra time, AND bring others with them, to invest more time and effort, than they would without that leadership. There are multiple examples of the crop we brought in hearing about things like this.

The next is the neck down stuff. I started with the neck up and broke it down that way, because I truly believe this staff - especially DC when he said now famously “no turds.” Simple, but real. We are getting anti-turds. But on the neck down stuff, I see explosion valued more than raw speed. Paschel is a perfect example. Hutch to an extent. Neither of these guys are Gumby Robert Quinn types. Kayvon was more that. Guys were available when we took Paschel that were more that and at EDGE, but we passed for heavy hands, character and explosion. One of the key drills for me that shows explosion is the vertical. I personally value that drill a ton. Apparently this staff appears to as well.

The last trait I noticed was TFL’s. So I’ll list our defenders career and 2021 TFL numbers and see what you think. I bolded what our front seven rookies did last year as specifically pertinent. I like it! I know there are lots of ways to dissect things, but I noticed the vert and tfl stuff because those are two things I tend to key on with defenders.

Hutch 36 = 8.97 RAS / 27.5 Car TFL’s / 16.5 in 2021 / 2 Time Captain
JP 37.5 = 9.48 RAS / 35.5 Car TFL’s / 15 in 2021 / 3 Time Captain
Joseph 38.5 = 8.88 RAS / 2 Car TFL’s / 1 in 2021
Rodriguez 39.5 = 9.76 RAS / 32 Car TFL’s / 16 in 2021 / 2 Time Captain
Houston 39 = 9.62 RAS / 35 Car TFL’s / 24.5 in 2021
Lucas 39 = 9.06 RAS / 12 Car TFL’s / 1 in 2021 / Captain

11 Likes

Word!
Yup - Love it. We will be more tenacious, especially late in games. Look for a team with this wiring to win the 4th QTR more often than not.

1 Like

Self motivation and leadership skills are building, not to win the NFCN, but, to win the NFL.

3 Likes

This here says Hutch’s RAS was 9.86

I seen that too. But I was liking his post to much to say. Great post 3rd!

Look at the RAS score besides Hutch’s vertical only- that’s 8.97

We have also been consistently hiring the most handsome players too. How many times have you heard Brad and Dan say, “He’s a good-lookin’ player?”

We can pretend that doesn’t matter, if we want.
Lions and their fans are by far the most attractive ppl in the division.

sorry Nat the bald/good-looking stuff is wearing out.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about specifically (Vert only), sorry if I wasn’t clear.

1 Like

I would add “play recognition/football IQ”: the ability to see what’s happening, to see through mis-direction, and respond quickly and apppropriately through the trash.

That’s not proper evaluator speak, but Hutch, Paschal, Joseph, and Rodriguez have that, IMO.

1 Like

@3rdRGR it’s interesting but these Lions picks are starting to look more and more like Rams picks. The Rams never cared a lick about 40 yard dash. shuttle and vertical are more important at most positions.

Look at Kupp that dropped to the 3rd round because of his 40. Look at Fuller in the 6th round because of his. Both probowlers.

The Rams look for guys that are passionate about football. A lot of team captains, all conference, coaches son types that fight hard every down.

One slight difference I see is that the Lions seem to want guys that are “gritty” and with a chip on their shoulder. Not sure I saw the Rams emphasize that trait, unless it is captured in the “passionate about football” mentality.

It does feel like certain teams are playing chess and others checkers when it comes to the draft. It looks to me like the Lions are playing chess under Holmes.

5 Likes

I agree. I was just trying to use data you can put metrics behind. On a scale of one 1 to 10, how much do you love football?? Uhhh… But being a Captain IS a measurable and one can “infer” that guy “probably” has high character traits, but again that’s sort of soft data. Something tells me though that being a Captain IS a box on the Lions checklist and checking it means something to them.

1 Like

I agree - you’ve worded this well here too.

NEVER!!

2 Likes

They’re also drafting players that people who use analytics absolutely love. High RAS, high PFF ratings, etc. Holmes is an analytics guy.

I love the culture they are building, and these types of players will ensure it is sustained.

(I really thought this thread was going to be about the boards love for hating QBs and tight ends. Glad I was wrong)

It’s infinitely easier to coach self motivated individuals, you don’t have to worry about babysitting a multimillionaire (Roger Dorn type), but it’s a double edged sword with these guys, because it tends to eat you up when cuts come down. I don’t care what level you’re at, when you’re looking someone square in the eyes, because they deserve that, and you know they gave everything and you have, to send them on down the road, that’s the thing that makes coaches, everyone who’s had to do it, that’s the part that hurts. You shake hands, you both call it part of the business, but it stings.

Sometimes its easier to be in charge of the unmotivated. I don’t envy Campbell when cut day comes down.

1 Like

We are a gritty “under dog city” here in Detroit…. They are LA- guys with something to prove vs -“look at me I’m awesome.”

1 Like

I do see them as trying to play “prettier” football than us. I think we’ll have flashes of pretty, but much, much more punch you in your face. It’s old school Steelers under Cowher stuff…maybe more toughness than that even. The NFL equivalent of Isiah, Rodman, Lambs, Mahorn, & Joe…juuuust nasty.

I was going to respond “instincts” but you’ve pretty much said the same thing here. On the defense, one trait I noticed being emphasized in the draft, at least for this year, was football instincts. Hutchinson, Paschal, and Rodriquez each possess great football instincts and they are the three most likely to see the field. Rodriguez in particular shows really good awareness and discipline in his play. Even Kirby Joseph has excellent instincts as a pass defender IMO - I almost forgot about him.

And I think it kind of dovetails with what Ranger said about TFLs. Usually guys with good instincts get those. In Houston’s case, I think the position switch to EDGE helped minimize any issues with instincts in his off ball LBing. But you take those three guys with plus instincts and it has the potential to really transform this defense which has struggled on this trait with guys like Davis (whose back but will play a new role) and Will Harris (who is back but also playing a new role). Always a day late and a dollar short in the past.