Transfer Portal Making a BIG IMPACT on Draft?

Brothers-

Something just dawned on me… J Johnson, M Willis, J Williams, and K Walker off the tope of my head would not be projected top #1-45 overall picks without the portal. Nor would J Burrow and others in recent years…

We are giving J Johnson the benefit of watching a whole year production with 80% of the snap share. We have T Walker and J Davis both south of 50% and they are being penalized a bit for their lack of production. Jordan Davis highlights are surreal for a man of his size, and yet it’s questioned whether he has top 5 overall value as a “pure run stuffer?” Is he though? Couldn’t the guy tracking down SEC RBs on toss sweeps rush the passer if he was asked to? At the very least if 2/5 of the entire offensive line was 100% dedicated to stopping him from collapsing the line of scrimmage, doesn’t that mean the other 3 guys are left to block 2 edge rushers and 2 DEs?

I think Georgia was a well oiled machine, and each guy played the snaps they were asked, and performed the duty that was required, and they won.

Don’t tell me if Quay Walker would have entered the portal at 6’4" and 245 with 4.5 speed and jump out gym springs, that he wouldn’t have put up elite MLB numbers?

Blaming the GA defenders for their stats is like blaming a RB who only have 150 carries for falling short of 1,000 yards?

We see what Jameson Williams, Burrow, J Johnson, K Walker etc did with a full time shot ,and we see why they made the move… Others did now.

Makes you wonder what kind of numbers Olave may have put up without JSN and Wilson demanding so many targets.

Conversely you have guys like T Burks who balled out despite the whole world knowing it was going to him. He was doubled constantly.

Bottom line- I think a lot of guys had dominant seasons that weren’t even the draft radar 7 months ago, and the portal gave them time to shine. Now we have to figure out the aftermath. Is J Johnson better or worse than T Walker? He couldn’t beat Walker out in GA so he left, but once he left he sure outproduced him?

Lots of stuff to unpack.

4 Likes

Didn’t Willis and Burrow transfer in the days before the portal? Like they had to sit out a year the traditional way?

2 Likes

Good post OP. The #1 overall pick in 3 out of the last 4 years have been transfers.

Trevor Lawrence - Always Clemson (the guy he beat out transferred)
Joe Burrow - OSU to LSU
Kyler Murray - Texas A&M to Oklahoma
Baker Mayfield - Texas Tech to Oklahoma

In addition to those moves involving Oklahoma, they were involved in another important one when Jalen Hurts went there from Alabama. That allowed both Tua and Jalen to show their talents to the NFL rather than one of them riding the pine. And lets not forget that Justin Fields transferred from Georgia.

2 Likes

This is why I always refer to the eye test first. What does that shit look like? I trust Davis. Dude looks “unnatural” out there (quoting @wesleysh21 )

I think he’s gonna be a good one.

2 Likes

Definitely agree and great post. That’s an angle and new development I haven’t considered.

Willis was doing what he did despite the lack of talent around him… JJ produced when had he stayed he wouldn’t have had half the production…

Going to be very interesting to see where this class gets picked. Although I was initially on the JJ at 2 train too, I’ve cooled a bit on that only because he’ll be 24… which sucks for him because by the time his rookie contract is over he’s going to probably get one big pay day if he develops and that’s it, whereas younger guys get at least two shots at FA. At the same time, you could say we get his best years on a rookie contract…

So much to unpack!!!

1 Like

The unnatural thing is what’s getting me on board with him. He’s just a unique guy. Hone that unnatural size and talent and develop it, he could be one of those guys with a sky’s the limit ceiling

2 Likes

Completely agree. His ceiling is very, very high. Dude’s strength is his strength…and he’s a baby, compared to what he will be.

I think a lot of ppl don’t consider “how near the ceiling is this cat?” when evaluating. I think this dude is not anywhere near flirting with what he is capable of.

1 Like

Maybe you are correct, but the point is still guys are blasting on the scene with 2, or even just one year…

Imagine T Walker goes back, and with less other weapons in the front 7, they deploy him to get after the QB. He has 11-15 sacks and 15 TFLcwhile still being stout against the runs. Tests the same at next combine….

He’s #1 all day unless a QB grades out, it hes an easy top 2-4 in any class once that is on tape.

I’m just saying when some guys bounce to showcase their stats, they aren’t on the radar til they do what J Williams did.

T Walker and J Davis endured the log jam Johnson fled to get his PT….

1 Like

I thought they were after that but I could be wrong. Thought the covid year changed all that? I could be wrong

Let’s just be aware that Mahomes is a 6’3” north of 5,000 yards and 53 total tds…almost 66% in a power 5.

Blaine Gabbert was once questioned as he came from a QB friendly offense…. I was bewildered why he was drafted at all, let alone round 1, as he had like 16 total TDs in said “QB Friendly offense…”

Guys like K Moore, Harrell, Breenan Detmer etc lacked the size and arm to go with their stats.

I think Detmer was color blind

1 Like

Let’s be aware that Willis is better looking than Mahommes ever dreamed of. Let’s also be aware that Willis gets to work with Fox, if he comes here.

How’s that situation lookin now, bruh?

Why was that so funny to me. I was laughing my ass off. It was like comedy.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.