Trent Dilfer: Tua "the finest QB prospect I ever evaluated"

Oh boy is the hype going to go off the charts
Tua posts here on a regular basis until draft day
IFF the kid somehow overcome the injury issue he will go high
And the Lions need to seriously consider the kid
Seems more likely that he will slide until someone decides it’s worth the risk
Tough tough decision

I wouldn’t be shocked if someone traded up to two and Tua and Burrows go one two in the draft. Young then falls to the Lions.

I think if Tua shows a lot of promise the Lions will either get Young (because Washington traded out) or get a fair trade offer to trade down.

He is having a CT scan and MRI on Monday that will be 3 months from the injury.He said if things look good which from the MRI’s up to this point have shown that its healing properly he can start running!!No way he makes it out of the top 5 if his medical checks out.

Wasn’t he the one who kept Gore on the bench? Nope he was from S. Carolina with severe knee injuries in college and in camp.

Wasn’t he the one who kept Frank Gore on the bench?

They also said doctors had to damn near amputate Teddy Bridgewaters leg and said he might never play again.Todays medicine and technology is light years ahead when Bo got hurt.

1 Like

Very true - Also Bo’s injury was miss handled on the sideline which lead to him developing AVN. Today’s sports have quality team doctors on site. How injuries are immediately handled makes all the difference in an injury like this. By the time the combine rolls around if Tua has AVN (Like Bo) then teams will know and his career over. But if he’s clear and participating in workouts than that’s another story and I think teams will be willing to take the gamble.

That’s McGahee

It’s starting to look like a lock that the Lions will trade down if Tua participates in the combine. I agree the guy is an unreal talent. His accuracy and spin on the ball are at an elite level.

Most likely Miami will grudgingly pay the Lions ransom because they’ve been tanking all year for a QB and have the draft ammo to do it.

I’ll also be ecstatic if Washington trades out of the #2 spot and Chase Young falls to Detroit. Either way this could be a monumental off-season for the Lions. Imagine Young and Dobbins/Taylor added to the team. Game changers!

Tua is not participating at the combine , Tua announced he is going to the combine so he can be seen by Doctors. In his words " Win My Medical "

Technically speaking he is participating…He will do nothing as far as working out or competing .

It’s more of the same from the media , "Tua announces he will participate at the combine " What???

That’s a great headline . Sounds so much better than the truth which would have read

“Tua announces he will let doctors medically check out his hip at the combine but will not work out or compete against his peers”

“Very busy with my new girlfriend who is absolutely super hot and totally real"

1 Like

I watched as well, he was also the exception and Lattimore was not the prospect Willis was.
Lattimore had had already suffered a torn ACL in the other knee he rehabbed from and Lattimore unlike McGahee suffered a complete dislocation of the knee as well with his injury.
Knee and hips are two different worlds as far as coming back from and with doctors as well …
Knee surgery’s and treatments now in 2020 are like oil changes and hip work is still extremely rare .

How do you sell that? I’m the GM …Listen (Owner) I want to invest a 1st round draft pick and a fully guaranteed $35 million dollars on QB Tua …Owner says he was special ,but is he still , has any player in the 100 year history of the sport played after such an injury ? GM : Well no , he would be the first, but doctors expect a full recovery as in the hip will be operational . Owner: At an elite athletic level ? The Doctor’s can’t say, they do not know, we have to invest the money first before we can find out and if he does it’s no guarantee he wont have problems in the near future that have not shown up yet .
Owner: Are you smoking crack ?

Just heard (per 97.1) that Tua IS going to the combine to compete.

Tua letting team doctors look at his hip is probably more important than doing any drills at this point.

I’m shocked he’s doing it.

That’s not what they said on NFL radio. They said he was planning to participate in the drills to prove he was healthy. Lofty goal for the kid if he pulls it off.

The combine and QB workouts take place in 27 days …he has not ran yet in his rehab . Quoting what he said on NFL Network …
“I’ll be participating in the combine but my main goal is not to win the 40, not to win the bench press but to win my medical. I’m going to go over there looking to win my medical and then go in and interview with the teams”
Tua said he will not being doing anything physical until his workout which will probably be right before the draft in April.

I’m not a TUA hater, love the kid and I hope for him he is everything he was prior to the injury , he is such a likable kid and his skills pre injury incredible…Such a devastating injury probably the worst ever to one of thee best prospects ever …I would not touch him in the first with our situation .

Tua, Te’o…this thread has the three letter T names covered!

1 Like

Here is what he said.

“I’ll be participating in the combine, but my main goal is not to win the 40, not win the bench press, but to win my medical,” he is quoted off an interview on the NFL Network.

“I’m going to go over there looking to win my medical and then go in and interview with the teams.”

Tagovailoa said he’ll take part in the quarterback workouts on Feb. 27, Tim Daniels reported.

The report said that Tagovailoa’s main goal is to show that he’s healthy.

He is not working out , that is nonsense …he said so himself today on Rich Eisen’s show that he is not doing physical stuff …he is not going to be cleared to do anything physical until 2/10/20 the earliest if everything checks out …Who are you going to believe the Media ? or Tua himself ? The spin the media puts on things is down right wrong …anything for a click . This kid would be the dumbest kid in the world to compete physically at the combine , it’s not remotely smart to do it at a Pro Day …I would not be shocked if he canceled it right before if he is told by a team they are taking him and would prefer he didn’t risk further injury to soon.

Regardless of who drafts him, if he can stay healthy somehow I think he’ll be great. That doesn’t mean the risk isn’t higher than Towelie though. Despite some other users’ past opinions, I think he’s more mobile than people give him credit for and he has a killer deep ball. He creates big plays in the pocket with great scrambling and has enough poise to not be in a rush to do it unless he has to. He has his flaws like anyone else but I think he’s gonna be REAL good if he can stay healthy.

One thing you have to think about outside of him is, how does it impact your O-line with a left-handed QB vs a right-handed? In general football strategy, typically with a R-H QB you put your best tackle on his blind side. When you change to a L-H QB obviously and you want to win now you would want to do the same but you can’t just lift and shift a LT over to RT very easily. It can be done and we’ve seen it done, but it was usually a demotion with a R-H QB. It seems like it would even impact Gs as well. It would take a couple seasons to build the ideal O-line for him.

Whoever takes Tua may have to do some serious O-line re-arrangement or just make personnel changes to accommodate him. Just another thing I’m sure some teams are thinking about. It may be irrelevant to certain teams but its got to be a factor.

1 Like