Trey Flowers officially set to be cut

But you can release them the first day of the league year with a June 1st designation, right? I know we’ll still carry his cap number during that time thus limiting us up front, but there’d be more savings once the June date hits. At least I think that’s how it works.

Edit: @LineBusy beat me to it

If they do a June 1 designation, they would still release him on 1st day of league year.

1 Like

@LineBusy @Thats2 @DeadStroke

Thanks guys.

sci-fi matrix GIF

3 Likes

I think that suggests we will be targeting a DL in the draft and FA.

Likely an IDL because i suspect we will draft an edge player.

BJ Hill, DJ Jones or Sebastian Joseph-Day seem like possible free agent targets.

3 Likes

Good news.

I don’t have names to toss out, but they CLEARLY have to add 1 starting-caliber DL and 1 Edge.

Unless we’re content with Jashon Cornell or Nick Williams on the DL (we’re not) and Lemonier on the Edge with an Achilles-recovered Okwara starting (we’re not).

Williams is also a free agent and I don’t think he will be back. He’s not exactly a good fit for what we do.

Flowers is a solid player and a class act, he just isn’t a 90 million dollar player he was paid. Good luck to him and thank for your time here

5 Likes

Right.

The depth behind Brockers and Levi right now is Heath, Hector, Cornell and Banks.

That’s TWO DL that we’ll be adding, either through FA and/or the draft.

The Lions will save $18,000,000 in salary cap space for 2023.

2 Likes

After his release, we will be at $35.35M under 2022 cap

2 Likes

Excellent. I was getting concerned that they’d give it one more shot with him.
I like the player when healthy, but he’s never healthy. It makes me wonder if they’re cooking up something big in free agency now. They could have waited for next offseason to cut him but they wanted that freed up money now for…something.

1 Like

Probably a WR

Yknow after a dirty, greasy, hands on job, there’s this just tiiiiny amount of dirt under your nails you can’t quite get rid of?

Well, the greasy dirty shitful QuinnTricia regime is finally out from under our nails.

Yes, he’s a class guy. Yes when healthy he played solidly. Not anything near the $ he got even when healthy…yes intangibles, yes non- quantifiable play like holding the edge amd position flexibility etc.

But even at his best he was overpaid by at least 50% if not double. Thanks for the good work in the 55% of games you played semi- healthy.

But that deal killed the team’s cap, or at least had it up against the wall choked out like they were Marcel Ozuna’s girlfriend…

Good bye, fare well and tbh, good riddance.

3 Likes

You’ve got far bigger expectations in splash free agency than I do. I’m pretty sure our current cap space will accommodate most things short of New England’s splurge in 2021.

1 Like

Only one responsible thing to do with that money
john c. reilly brothers GIF

6 Likes

The team is doing him a solid by giving him the full FA period to latch on.

1. The lockerroom sees this. Plus points there.

2. The players that are FA see this. Plus points.

3. That they aren’t even wavering about not having an extra $6m in cap space this tear as opposed to next year tells me that fans looking for a gigantic FA splash this year are going to be disappointed, and that they think next offseason will be “The Leap”, and want maximum cash to add the 3 or 4 guys that will throw them over the bar into contender land. Not just playoff contender either.

4 Likes

Good Dude. Over payed. No longer a Lion

You mean if they waited until after June 1st to cut him?
Cutting him now gives them more money to play with this free agency period. Not much roster change happens after June 1st anyway.

1 Like