Treylon Burks

Someone talk me into the hype of this guy. Watched a couple games and some film of him and I just don’t see it. Zero separation and just uses his size to overpower defenders (something I don’t think will happen in the NFL). Arkansas used him in a variety of way (similar to Debo Samuel) but is just isn’t that dynamic.

Like I said, maybe I am missing something but I expected sooo much more from him with all the hype surrounding him. His testing numbers were some of the worse of the receiver class. For a guy being used in the slot, he had terrible 3 cone and shuttle times. Someone tell me I am missing something.

1 Like

That is the concern. That he’s more a weapon than a WR. I do think his game speed is better than what he tested out as but his agility leave a good bit to be desired. I’ve cooled on him tecently for precisely that reason. I think he needs to get on a team with a creative OC and a QB that’s a master of the back shoulder throw.

1 Like

Brett Whitefield was talking about him last week, and said he doesn’t see it with Burks.

Mentioned the limited routes he ran, and that he really doesn’t have any tape showing ball skills in the air.

His comp for him is Jonnu Smith… in terms of the way Arkansas used him compared to Jonnu with the Titans.

I didn’t get to bothered by Burks’ 4.55 in the 40 at first, but his vertical leap, shuttle, and 3-cone in combination with that average 40 time do concern me a bit.

IDK I see a guy that just runs away from people. Not sure what your not seeing. He wins on all 3 levels.

Dec 8, 2021 — Treylon Burks was clocked at 22.6 mph this year. .

3 Likes

Also he has huge hands !! LOL

IDK myself because never seen one game with him in it. However, through all the research on others recently, many are saying stay away. lol

I think he could fall to our pick at 66. DK Metcalf fell to 64 because of a bad 3-cone and he had 4.3 speed. Burks is slower, only runs like 2 or 3 routes, might be slot only, and surprisingly doesn’t break any tackles for his size. His straight-line speed is fine despite his 40, but he’s got a lot of other issues.

Lols 66 wtf. Got 100 says that doesn’t happen.

I don’t think it will happen either but it could, just like it did with DK Metcalf who was objectively a better prospect.

IDK DJ was thought more of work out warrior then football ball player why he dropped from what I remember. Hell I would be happy if he lasted to pic 34.

Just cause you get a bargain, doesn’t make it a good bargain.

Nah DK torched the SEC as well but he had to share with AJ Brown and missed like half of his senior year (still put up nearly 600 yards and 5 TDs). Before he tested he was a guy that was predicted to go top 10.

Then he blazed a 4.33, had a 40.5 inch vert and an 11’2 broad. Total badass… until he put up a 7.38 3-cone (7.25 at pro day).

The narrative flipped then to make him a guy that would never be able to cut well enough to run a majority of NFL routes, and he dropped all the way from the top 10 to 64.

If Burks were to drop to 66 it would be less of a drop.

And Burks is less explosive (33 inch vert, 10’2 broad), slower (4.55 40) and had very similar agility testing (7.28 3-cone). The NFL is gonna sour on him just as much if not more, it’s what they do this time of year.

It’s a funny off-season
I mean
Burks sucks
Hamilton sucks
Hutchinson sucks
Thibby sucks

And Walker is great.

2 Likes

Just watch Burks vs Alabama. He’s a stud. Reminds me of Anquan Bolden. He was slow too……

1 Like

I’m not saying he won’t be a good pro, just like Metcalf is. Just that he could fall for the same reasons Metcalf did. He ticks all of the NFL’s classic ‘falling prospect’ boxes.

Of course I could be way off, it only takes one team to fall in love.

1 Like

Yea once he ran that 40 his stock started to drop. Would love if he fell to us. I could be wrong but I think he’s gonna be a good pro.

1 Like

Watching his youtube highlights…

1. Auburn- 35 yard post route- jump ball high pointed all hands catch in endzone

2. 65 yard TD vs BAMA- 50 yards of RAC backshoulder

3. 55 yard double move go-route- 20 yards RAC

4. 49 yard reverse and runs away from everyone.

5. 91 yard bubble screen stiff arms 2 guys to the ground

6. 45 yard sideline jump ball high point

7. 50 yard jump ball go route

8. 35 yard back shoulder- BAMA

9. Nice option route 15 yards TD

10. 85 yard fly route, tracks ball and 50 yards RAC

11. crossing route 15 yard TD with stiff arm…

12. quick slant 18 yard TD with stiff arm…

I’m sorry but I see 4-5 different routes used to score TDs alone. NOBODY every catches him, and when they do, he has 4 different plays where he stiff arms a guy like George Kittle…

If he’s there are #32 and we go elsewhere I will puke

3 Likes

He’s an ALPHA- putting him, Chark, ASB, Swift and Hock out there is a lot for defenses to deal with.

Let’s be super clear- Deebo maxed out at 908 yards from scrimmage in college, ran OK, and his best pro years was 961 yards and 6 total TDS in 15 games prior to this year.

I think Deebo is a stud, but I thought he was a great 2nd round pick, I think he’s an awesome and unique weapon… HE IS NOT A 25MM A YEAR GUY- and if he doesn’t want the 75 carries and 90 catch load moving forward he will never earn the money if he gets it…

ASB- had 973 yards and 6 total tds last year combined rushing and receiving?

1 Like

Like I said I think his straight line speed is really good, the 40’s overblown, what matters is his timed speed on the field and he’s got plenty of it. It’s the rest of his testing that will cause him to drop. It’s already causing him to drop. I do think he’ll be fine in the league but he has to be put in the right spot. Hell even his college coach said he’d just play him in the slot every down.

1 Like

Half those plays are jump balls, he has a 32” vertical (most lineman have better). His change of direction metrics are some of the worst I have ever seen at the Wide Receiver position. I also didn’t see him get separation that a 1st round WR is supposed to. If a team drafts him, they will need to have a specific role for him and he is definitely NOT Alpha WR1. Lions need an X WR, he doesn’t fit that either.