Tyler Boyd touts potential "deadly" trio with DeAndre Hopkins, Calvin Ridley

Thank you. Yes you can look at trends to make business decisions. It makes sense. But every player is different. Jerry Rice played until he was almost 40 in the era of real violence.

1 Like

Definitely some outliers… but WR’s over 30 is most often a losing strategy. @Mr.Peabody has had some detailed posts about it in the past that were quite interesting.

2 Likes

Yep! And to say it again, I started out as a skeptic. There were people on this forum that knew that information before me. I had guys like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison and Larry Fitzgerald on my brain. I went to look for more guys who kept going strong after after 30. The results were overwhelming in favor of the dropoff.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree at all that the data overwhelming says certain players drop off at certain times.
It’s an overall losing approach to always sign vets and only vets.
As a one year, we’re building other areas, so let’s band-aid this area, it’s fine.
That is a lot of talent for a young qb to look to.
However… it’s Will Levis, so I’m not encouraged it’ll go to far.

The “warning” about the age of the receivers is coming from a pessemistic angle, guided by history. The optimist see’s two 1,300+ yard receivers and another 1,000+ receiver teamed up together. That is a ton of “talent.” But if you subscribe to the dropoff point that they seem to be at, it is seen as two 800 yard receivers and a 500 yard receiver.

One of the things that is going to hurt QB play and those guys numbers is the fact that they will not be out there practicing alot. They will get their rest days and that is going to hurt the timing and execution of the offense. Its one of the “real world” reasons that receivers beyond a certain age see their careers fall off quickly.

Stefon Diggs had a very respectable 1,183 yards at age 30 last year. However, look at the distribution of his production. As retired players often say, “I could still do it. I just couldn’t recover fast enough to do it again next week, and the week after that, and the week after that.” Diggs had over half of his yardage production in the first 6 weeks of the season.

1 Like

Undoubtedly why the Bills chose to move on.

As Bill B used to say, better one year too early than one year too late.

2 Likes

Boyd has the biggest advantage of the three because he’s already played in Callahan’s system.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.