Tyreek Hill signs 3 year $54M extension

After a tumultuous offseason, the Kansas City Chiefs are sticking with receiver Tyreek Hill for the long-haul.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Chiefs and Hill have agreed to terms on a 3-year, $54 million contract extension, per sources informed of the deal. Hill receives $35.5 million guaranteed with a $5.8 million signing bonus, Rapoport adds.

The team later confirmed the extension.

“We’re pleased we were able to reach an agreement with Tyreek to keep him in a Chiefs uniform for the foreseeable future,” Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said in a statement. “He understands our expectations of him as a member of this team and community. This extension is contingent upon the conditions Tyreek agreed to adhere to upon his return to the team in July. Tyreek is an elite player in this league and has played a major role in our team’s success, and we’re pleased that he’ll continue to make an impact for us.”

A fifth-round pick in 2016, Hill was set to play on the final year of his rookie deal with a base salary of $1.965 million. Now he has a bigger payday coming his way that keeps him in K.C. through the 2022 season.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue my playing career here in Kansas City,” Hill said in a statement. “Kansas City is my home, and I appreciate the love and support from Clark Hunt, Coach Reid and Brett Veach along with my coaches and teammates. To Chiefs Kingdom, you’re the best fans in the world.”

The new-money average of $18 million per season on the contract extension ties Hill for second-most among receivers in the NFL with BrownsOdell Beckham Jr. – behind only Saints WR Michael Thomas ($19.25).

The Chiefs had been working on a contract extension with Hill earlier this offseason before news broke that he was under criminal investigation for allegations of potential child abuse towards his 3-year-old son.

The team barred Hill from attending offseason workouts as the investigation unfolded and paused contract talks.

After an investigation, the NFL announced in mid-July it could not conclude Hill violated the league’s personal conduct policy and would not be suspended.

Following the league’s announcement, contract negotiations resumed as Hill joined teammates for training camp. Friday the deal got done.

On the field, Hill has proven to be one of the NFL’s premier mismatch nightmares with the ability to scorch defenses deep, snag passes in tight windows, and is a demon after the catch. A perfect fit in Andy Reid’s scheme, Hill has back-to-back 1,100-plus yard receiving season, and is coming off a 13 touchdowns 2018 campaign. Since entering the NFL in 2016, Hill has generated an NFL-high 44 receptions of 25 yards or more. The three-time Pro Bowler also added four punt return scores and on kick return TD.

There is no questioning Hill’s on-field talent. The off-field problems have always been the issue with the receiver. The new contract speaks loudly that the Chiefs are comfortable sticking with Hill for the foreseeable future.

Always interesting to see how things like this work themselves out.

You mean how people prone to violence against women are generally allowed to continue playing in the NFL?

2 Likes

I mean exactly what I said. Your statement pre-supposes guilt. I’ve been accused of shit i never did before. I’d hate it if everyone took your stance.

I am with you, in that I err on the side of caution. There have been lots of these situations around the league, even back in the day…Warren Moon, Michael Vick, Ray Lewis. Lots of 'em guilty, and some that are not. I’m not going to make assumptions, and I am interested to see how it plays out…Just like I said.

Yes…I am pre-suppposing/assuming guilt.

Just like I still think Joe Mixon punched a girl in the face and is in he NFL and still think OJ was guilty.

1 Like

I’m staying well away from this one. I’ve made my feelings on this guy pretty clear.

SMH.

I’d avoid dudes that are trouble, for sure. I don’t want a locker room cancer. Even just dudes with bad attitudes, poor work ethic, etc. I’m the last guy you’ll see defending someone that beats up little kids. I’d just be sure that it actually happened, before making heavy-ass accusations like that. Heavy stuff, man.

p.s. if i were a GM, I’d stay FAR away from dudes that divert attention from winning football games. I’m just saying, as a man, I don’t want to believe everything I read in the media, until there’s proof. Glad it’s not happening on our team. Interested to see how it shakes down on theirs.

All I care about is what I see on Sunday’s

1 Like

So you really don’t care if a guy punches women in the face on Wednesday as long as the NFL allows him to play on Sunday and he does a good job.

Got it

I would have to actually give a fuk about these guys personal lives for it to matter, and I don’t. I care about the product on the field. Whether he beats his old lady or buys her a new Porsche is her business to deal with…not mine.

OK. I got you.

We will have to agree to disagree because I care about battered women, even the ones I don’t know and I think the NFL should be making an example of guys that have violence issues so that kids growing up see that it isn’t “OK” to beat your ho/bitch/ol lady

I would rather the NFL took a hard line on domestic violence and showed the kids that idolize these guys that is ISN’T Ok to beat women.

I think that is a better angle than “It’s none of my business what they do”. But like I said…I agree to disagree

2 Likes

I’m guessing this has some poison pills in it.

2 Likes

First off, welcome aboard @joebuckyourself!

Secondly, one would hope so.

I’m going to assume you are doing alot to help random battered women around the country, and not just expecting the NFL to do it for you?

1 Like

Does dating them count?

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t take on every cause I care about given I have limited time around my career and don’t have unlimited funds. BUT… In addition to being a monthly donor to Disabled American Veterans (https://www.dav.org/) and the Michigan-based Fallen and Wounded Soldiers Fund (http://fwsf.org/), I enjoy the fulfillment of working personally with our wounded veterans.

I own a charter boat that runs fishing trips for Salmon and Trout on Lake Michigan. Every Memorial Day Weekend, I work with the Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund to identify wounded veterans that would enjoy a day on the lake out fishing. They put me in contact with the veterans and ensure they have transportation to my boat in Pentwater, MI. My wife and I take them fishing for the morning, and return to the marina for beverages on ice and grill burgers and brats for the veterans and their families. I cannot explain how much these heroes appreciate being treated like VIPs for a day, and how happy it makes their families to see their loved ones having a great day. We also raffle off fishing trips to raise money for the Fallen and Wounded Soldiers Fund and other charities. We have donated fishing trips to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis Research, a Jaws of Life for a small town fire department in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and multiple cancer victims in the last couple years.

Working with wounded veterans and people that have terminal illnesses has given me a profound appreciation for what I have, and has shown me how much joy I can bring into people’s lives. It’s more joy than I would have imagined possible. The rewards I have received in exchange for my efforts to help deserving people cannot be measured.

Unfortunately I have not been able to devote much time to the cause of battered women and many other deserving causes that I care about. I can’t fix the whole world, which is why I would like to see the NFL do what they can to set an example for the kids that look up to these guys.

But I still care. Way more than I do about how they play on Sunday

2 Likes

Ha! LMAO

1 Like

So that’s a no?

People are gonna people, that’s what I say. I like the idea of the NFL cracking the whip on these guys, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it if they don’t. I watch movies and enjoy them and the people in them and responsible for bringing them to the screen are some of the worst people. The same with music. If I like a song, I like it. I dont need a backstory to the artist and why I shouldn’t like it. I simply dont care enough about them personally.

Hollywood is definitely a vile place filled with low life people and pedophiles who like to preach morality to us on twitter

1 Like

Absolutely. Do I care when it hits my real life? Absolutely. My fantasy world in sports and entertainment? Not really. I figure that for every player I’m pissed about what he did there are 5 more that did stuff like it but just didn’t get caught. I choose not to put any emotional energy into it.