Tyrell Crosby's name floating as a trade target

Personally, I totally get the need for depth on the O-line, but I’d rather have the pick. Should be a 4th-5th rounder IMO. He’s not bad.

1 Like

A 5th round pick for a one year rental? I think getting a one year rental on a safety is a possibility. Matt Nelson might be swing tackle? That’s a little scary for me, but what does Fraley think?

1 Like

Why would we trade Crosby for a 5th round pick?
What’s the chances of Sewell or Decker not missing a game this season?

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand the move unless there’s a tackle on the FA market that they’re looking at.

Nid moe benz

animation dance GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

7 Likes

I feel like we need to protect brother Goff.

Draft someone cheaper next year? I dunno. Feels like a dude we should keep. Does Holmes have something up his sleeve that we don’t know about?

3 Likes

Options are:
Keep him and not pay him after the season. Get a comp pick but then lose it to a free agent we’ll sign.
Trade him and get some compensation, whatever it may be.

We probably should just take what we can get, even though I do value him as a backup.

1 Like

If you keep him and let him go after next year, at least you get some offset to your signings. I’d prefer to have the backup and do that than just get a 5th.

I could see us trading him for a player that we might have interest in signing long term. It’s clear that Crosby isn’t our future at tackle, so if another team has an extra safety that could start, maybe we make a deal for him.

1 Like

It’s a tough call because you really do want to have a guy like him as a backup.

I think we’ll be so active in free agency next year that there will not be any 2023 comp picks for the Lions.

1 Like

We’ve got two young starters, so we are talking about a backup OT, which we have a couple of. If Decker get’s hurt, move Sewell over, Vaitai to RT, Stenberg to OG. If Sewell then same Vaitai / Stenberg plan. Stacking draft picks over the next two drafts is great business as we likely won’t be making noise till after that anyway. Not being defeatist, it’s just that we are full build mode so I think getting the pick now makes sense. We aren’t going to pay Crosby any big money and he’ll probably get picked up by somebody at more than we’ll pay a backup. This is getting ahead of the curve instead of the typical Suh/Golladay situation where we don’t get squat.

But who should be better as a backup Vaitai or Crosby? Is it even close?

Crosby is 26 in September. An experienced player. No way I am giving giving him away for free. 5th rd. pick doesn’t work for me. That would be a steal for another team landing a viable starter for a 5th.

I want a player back who is similar and fills a position of need. A young viable/fringe starter. Or a guy like WR Gallup from the Cowboys and we give Crosby and something like a 6th to them.

2 Likes

I think it is close if Vaitai is healthy. 3 years from now, I’ll worry about how good my backup swing tackle is. Right now, give me more picks to build this thing. Our 4th and that 5th, get’s you back into the 3rd and wouldn’t you have liked yet another swing in the 3rd round this year?

That may be a bit of a stretch, but I like the rest.

Well if by viable starter you mean a viable starter for us then I think that could be possible.

Take this scenario for instance: Denver needs a starting right tackle badly. They drafted both Caden Sterns and Jamar Johnson in the fifth round.

They also have Michael Ojumeidwa from last year’s draft buried on the draft chart at corner. Talented kid but a bit tight. My understanding is that some teams last year preferred him as a safety. He’s also from Farmington Hills and his dad worked for Ford. Oh and he’s of Nigerian heritage like much of the rest of our defense.

While any of those three would be a reach to be a good starting safety next year they’d have a good shot to be one of our starting safeties.

3 Likes

Personally, I think we are taking a huge gamble on a Rookie and hopes for a healthy Oline if we trade Crosby.

That being said, here’s what I would do it for:
OT Crosby
S Will Harris
3rd round pick (we have extras next year)

For Saints S Marcus Williams

Why it’s good for the Lions:
MCDC and DC Glenn know Williams we’ll. He’s a stud Safety who would be a cornerstone for our defense in a much needed position.

Why it’s good for the Saints:
Williams is on the franchise tag on the final year of his contract. They need OT help and could take a chance on Harris developing. They’d also love to grab our 3rd round pick for a guy who
Most likely won’t be on their team next year.

Win/Win for both teams.

1 Like

I’m guessing that comp pick accumulation will be a way of life for the Lions as it has been with the Ravens. If your GM can maximize the draft like we’re hoping Brad can, why not use him?

2 Likes

I like Crosby a lot I would be sad to see him go. He’s been more than serviceable i think and has filled in very well when asked. Health may be a bit of an issue, he does get dinged up but he’s a great backup swing tackle that can start for a few games if need be.

That being said I trust the front office and coaches right now so if they do move him, I’m going to assume it’s the right thing to do and they’ll make it up somehow.

I’m on my 4th pitcher of Kool aid for the day how about you?

2 Likes

Yes…Yes…and Yes.

3 Likes