Vaitai predictions for next season

Wondering what you guys think will happen with Vaitai.

IMO, this impacts everything, including the draft. I could see him staying as is, getting restructured, or getting cut.

If he gets cut, do we draft an OG with the 1st rounder (from Rams), 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, FA, or roll with someone on the current roster?

What do you think happens with ROT next season?

• Stays as is?
  • Restructured?
  • Cut and replaced with high draft pick?
  • Cut and replaced with FA?
  • Cut and replaced with someone currently on roster?

0 voters

I’m hoping he takes the Nick Williams route and agrees to take a pay cut to stay and be a starter. I think Sewell has been vocal about how much Vaitai has helped him. Having those 2 together on the right side for a season would be nice.

2 Likes

This is my hope too. I clicked restructured.

Didn’t know this - awesome!

Word!

1 Like

Vatai is an overpay for RG, but not so much next year at $6.5MM salary.

At a minimum, I think the can gets kicked down the road a year. Then, you can re-evaluate. There’s so much else to do with this roster, I have to imagine that anything that ain’t broke for 2022 won’t get much attention.

6 Likes

The Lions can run up the middle for the first time in my life.

He should keep his money

4 Likes

I think they’ll let him keep his money and let him stay. The Oline is coming together and they have enough other holes that they won’t want to create another to have to fill. There hasn’t been a peep about him complaining about the move to guard.

3 Likes

I meant to click stays as is, but my screen jumped. I do not think he’ll be cut. Restructured possibly.

1 Like

I think a restructure is the best bet. Make it so 2022 is his last year and his cap hit doesn’t change. Reduce his base salary by 2.8mil to 3.7mil so when the dead money accellerates to 2022 by voiding the final three years his cap figure doesn’t change. He still gets good money in 2022, but the Lions do not have cap dollars committed to him beyond 2022.

3 Likes

Personally I didn’t see much of a downgrade at RG last game. That speaks volumes to me. Continuity is great, but insane overpay for production should not happen to achieve it. Vaitai has continued to be meh. We’ve got that on our roster now for peanuts. We’re going to be dumping some vet salary with Flowers and Vaitai so if we could go get a younger FA vet that is better than Vaitai/Stenberg/Kraemer I’m fine with that. If you can’t dominate being flanked by Ragnow and Sewell, well… I’m not paying you 6.5M and Vaitai was not dominating.

2 Likes

They’re not, though. Not enough to bank on. If Sewell needs a big bro, he still has Crosby.

I think he’s gone, but a restructure would be best-case scenario for sure.

I don’t disagree, but by the time you cut him, eat the cap charge, and then sign a new starter…. Did you save much? Not really sure the right answer here. If he’s awesome in the locker room and the guys love him - keep him. The cap charges gets much lower the following year to cut bait if I remember correctly. If he’s not loved by the coaches though and they think they can do better - fine by me. It’s not a decision that’s gonna make break the ‘22 roster.

Does he? I dont know what’s going on there.

1 Like

I don’t either. I don’t know if he was legit injured or if there’s something to all the fan suspicions.

I thought Vaitai had missed more time than he has. He’s missed snaps 2 of the last 3 games, but he’s still been out there more than I realized.

1 Like

It’s sort of about this, but how many players “want” to stay next year will say a lot about how they view the overall leadership and DC….

I’m hoping more so than not opt for a pay cut and stay put here….

I would love to see some stability finally both player wise and coaching wise….

We had 9 holding calls, something didn’t gel well with the new fella. Not saying it was his fault. But, the o-line had it’s worst game of the year as a unit. I’m sure the refs played an important role as well.

1 Like

With all the preseason talk of him being garbage, he’s not really been an issue. In meaning, I rarely hear his name mentioned during games. That’s a good sign, right?

Keep him where he’s at and by all means, address the contract in the off season.

1 Like

Yup - he’s outplayed what most expected of him, based on last season’s “performance”.

I’m glad he improved enough for us to be having this conversation, for sure.

2 Likes

-2 ticky-tack
-3 on the QB putting them in a bad spot
=4 that can be easily attributed to the rooks.

2 Likes

Super-DUPER EASY- let him keep his money…

Why?

1. Sewell likes him, appreciates him, and plus great next to him.
  2. Run game has been solid despite our best OL player missing the whole year - Rags
  3. Any other course either creates a future issue, or opens another hole that is currently filled by an average or above starter entering his prime now.

Why?

Cut him is 4.2M dead cap- plus say 8-10M min for a quality starter- next thing you know we are bring in another Wagner, Lang, or Big V abs it costs 14M vs just 8 if we leave it alone.

3 Likes

I think the line is set for next year, upgrading on a more than adequate RG has to be way down the list of priorities for Holmes, even if there is a couple million bucks to be saved on the cap.

2 Likes

Maybe they can restructure and spread the money out, locking him up for even longer. Deck, Sewell, Vaitai, and Ragnow all on contracts. Niiiiice. OL could be all set for a little bit.