Vaitai Restructured

Didn’t see this anywhere, but:

11 Likes

Sweet

1 Like

Looks to be about a 6mil pay cut. His base salary was 9.4mil and is now 3mil. Guessing they are giving some back with per game roster bonus like they have Harris and Romeo.

1 Like

They have CGJ at only 6.5mil and not the reported 8mil. Over the cap usually gets their info from the players agents according to Deadstroke so I would imagine this is accurate.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not really sure what the actual numbers are lol

3 Likes

Looks like Glasgow and JRM are the only two contracts not accounted for at this point. The only other player I could see taking a pay cut yet is Cabinda. I could see them reducing his salary to the minimum and giving him some back in per game bonuses like the rest, but the saving would only be 500-700k depending how they structured it.

We are likely sitting between 24-25mil in cap space right now. I believe DeadStroke has around 18mil of that space dedicated to rookies, practice squad, and in season moves so that leaves about 6-7mil to add someone (or maybe more than one) yet.

2 Likes

Boom

Underrated moves, not only the fact we got Harris, Romeo, and Big V to take pay cuts…

But keeping them as solid depth is an amazing play by Holmes and Campbell.

9 Likes

Last thing to add, with him voiding 2024, this is another guy who could be a major factor in the comp pick formula if he has a bounce back year.

6 Likes

Lions Front Office, Holmes/Disner, putting on an absolutely masterclass is cap management. Amazing.

10 Likes

Here are the original numbers:

It’s hard to tell because OTC does not separate out the restructure bonus, the option, and the workout bonus like Spotrac does. It will be interesting to see what Spotrac’s updated numbers look like.

Clearly, he took a pay cut. It’s not clear how much.

1 Like

Guess we’ll wait for @DeadStroke to figure it out, lol

2 Likes

To me this sure sounds like a guard will be drafted this year to start next year forsure.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Impressive job by the front office this offseason and, yes, it definitely appears there will be an OL drafted somewhere in this draft if not, at least, 2 of them.

5 Likes

I like the idea of a restructure and then making him a free agent vs a straight cut. Smart move by Brad.

4 Likes

Literally incredible!!! So you bring back Ragnows boy GG…. You keep Sewell’s boy Big V- You keep JOK and his brother Romeo….

The 3 guys we restructured cost 15.7M against the cap this year…. They now cost 9.4M in voided money next year… That 9M doesn’t scare me a bit, and thus they cost an average of 8.3M each total…

A few days ago Romeo was 14.5M… Big V was 12.5M… Charles Harris was 8M… 35M in 2023 hits… We could have saved 17.5MM but cutting them… but we would have less cap space this year, plus the 3 extra players to fill those spots who likely wouldn’t be as tight with team or talented?

So in reality we only have to pay those 3 a total of 9M above what it would have cost to outright cut them, and then pay low level replacements… So for 6M we got those 3 back!!!

6 Likes

FYI, he won’t Vaitai won’t qualify for a compensatory pick next year though. Players that have years removed from their original contract don’t qualify.

6 Likes

Never knew that, thanks for the info.

2 Likes

That’s accurate, at least the way that Jason at OTC is reporting it (and he’s usually right). Iwasn’t aware of the 50% reduction rule that Jason alluded to, but it doesn’t come up very often. I’m also not sure why this rule didn’t apply to Romeo’s contract (his base was reduced from $11M to $2M).

1 Like