Walker now #1?

If I remember correctly, Rod Wood specifically said he doesn’t interfere in football matters. If anyone made the final call outside of Holmes and Campbell in case of a disagreement, I would think it would be Spielman. In that case, Spielman goes Hutch over KT 10 times out of 10.

2 Likes

I keep hearing Baalke wants Walker but Shad Khan wants Hutch. You also have Baalke’s history with Harbaugh to take into account (they do not get along). I’d be somewhat surprised to see the hot-seat GM get his way over the owner, but Khan hasn’t been very meddlesome before so we’ll see.

Usually the owner doesn’t force anyones hand as it is a very bad precedent to set. Jerry Jones if the only owner that I know of that does that.

Oh it’s happened a ton though I do agree it doesn’t tend to work out very well. That Miami owner is as meddling as can be. Snyder, the Haslems, even old George Benson back in the day. And I think they’ve been the tiebreakers for lots of decisions.

2 Likes

DC acknowledged that he had final say if push came to shove but he doesn’t think it will ever come to that because the group as a whole works well together and the majority rules.

1 Like

Spielman is a “special advisor” to Sheila. He does not have final say over roster decisions. Those decisions are Dan and Brad’s responsibility.

On the question of who wins in a dispute, regardless of what Rod says about his role, the structure of the front office is that Campbell and Holmes both report up to him. Holmes did not hire Dan, and Dan doesn’t report to him; Dan reports directly to Brad’s boss (and Brad reports directly to Dan’s boss). Which is why everybody in the building keeps insisting that all these decisions will be collaborative.

But while I wish I could point you to the specific interview where he said it, I’m pretty sure I heard Dan acknowledge that he is basically top dog, but he said he wouldn’t put his foot down on a decision where the rest of the front office disagreed with him. I suspect if you could look at the actual contracts, Campbell is making more than Holmes as well.

1 Like

I can’t believe that a first time HC that wasn’t highly sought after would have final say. Holmes was hired before Campbell, hard to believe that the conversation was, yea we’re hiring you, but we are going to find a coach that will have final say and you will be there just to support him.

Being that it’s the Lions and Wood was involved, anything is possible.

3 Likes

My default instinct is to trust bald ppl, but Dan is pretty freakin awesome too, so…

1 Like

Personally I think those bastards read our forum and highjacked our shit!

We’ve been throwing about, now, the idea is taking This cat a two for a few weeks now and suddenly he’s the catch for number one?

BS - THe Den is the source code of all things football!… And must be treated like FightClub!

3 Likes

I can’t find any backup to support my recollection that Dan conceded he’s the top guy. Other than a quote where he says “an alpha knows when to back down.” So it’s possible I am losing my mind? Suffering from too many gummies?

In any case, regardless of who would have final say in a dispute between the two of them, Brad does not have hiring/firing power over Campbell. He absolutely is there to support Dan, and he’s acknowledged as much. I suspect one of the reasons they hired a first-time GM is for that reason–a more established candidate would want clear final say over the roster and staff, which Brad does not have.

Rod has also acknowledged this. The structure they put together for the Lions front office was basically a reaction to giving full authority to Quinn last time around. They were determined to not make that mistake again. (Since it’s the Lions, you can assume they are determined to make brand-new mistakes that no one has ever imagined before.)

2 Likes

Nope! Just your hair…and that’s a very good thing!

2 Likes

I thought I remembered the opposite. Brad has final say but acknowledged he would never force a player they weren’t on board with as a group.

I feel like the only thing we can know for sure is that Brad is more handsome.

1 Like

It’s well known Baalke favores players with high RAS scores. He puts an emphasis on physical traits over actual production and film study… If a guy tests well at the combine he will covet them.

There’s a ton of talk out there that he feels he can trade down and get enough ammo to land Walker and one of the top OT’s. I just don’t think he finds the trade partner.

1 Like

Baalke is head over heels for Walker, it’s going to be him or Ekwonu (who Pederson loves)

Isnt dans contract a yr longer than brads?

1 Like

I’m on record…. Hutch is a #20 overall type guy in most classes who is drafted into the right system… and MASHES!

We literally hav Ethel chance to draft TJ Watt at #2…. Will we?

He’s a 6’7” de who we want to play OLB with T Rex arms, a fake bench #, and a 4.7 plus forty.

That doesn’t scream Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, or Garrett… I’d also take TJ Watt over any of them!!!

If hutch can be Watt, do it. If there is any doubt, trade down.

The NFL is about about average NFL athletes playing at 110% about 95% of the time.

Most teams draft ELITE NFL athletes who play at 90% around 75% of the time.

Watt vs Clowney

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

2 Likes

Throwing some ducats on Icky is the sly play…+1000 this morning, haven’t checked it tonight…

Aroused The Office GIF
This will be @BigNatty when the Lions draft Willis.

3 Likes