Watching Good Teams

Right now it’s Buffalo and Tennessee, but it’s also other games over the last couple of weeks - what really jumps out is just how far Detroit is from having talent that would allow them to compete. Obviously we know this roster is devout of talent, and I’ve been yelling it all offseason. But watching even a game like tonight and it just smacks you in the face simply how far off Detroit really is.

I know all offseason Homes and Campbell would turn their nose at the word “rebuild,” but that was, in hindsight, completely misguided. This team is headed to a top 3 overall pick this upcoming offseason, and even then they’re still at least one more great offseason after that away from even being able to aim for a .500 record.

I want this coaching staff and front office to succeed as bad as anyone, but I wonder if they were honest with themselves just how hard this is going to be.

3 Likes

I think it was pretty obvious to most, hence the 6 year contracts.

3 Likes

They knew it was a rebuild but you can’t say it. When they talked Ragnow into surgery now instead of the off season it says everything.

7 Likes

I think many Lions fans have already nailed it. There is literally no such thing as a re-build in Detroit. Its like walking up to an empty desert that’s nothing but sand for hundreds of miles and declaring “WE WILL REBUILD!” RE-build what? There was nothing here to begin with.

2 Likes

Yeah we’re basically an expansion team right now. When we had Stafford at least you could say we had a franchise QB.

4 Likes

I’d take one of those Vegas Golden Knights go to the show in their first year of existence type expansion teams.

2 Likes

Thankfully there aren’t any expansion teams because they would likely beat us and that would be even more embarrassing than it currently is.

1 Like

Good point, that was a crazy first season for Vegas.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I watched this game.

It’s like, Hey! There’s a LB covering a crosser! Hey! The DT just shot a gap and blew up a run play in thr backfield. Disguised blitz! Trip formation underneath route wide open! Tight man up on the line w a deep safety driving on the pass as it’s thrown as he is reading the QB!! QB getting read 2 open by looking at read 1 and then drilling a laser 15 yards downfield to an open WR who sat in a zone dead spot by design…

ACTUAL FREAKING FOOTBALL!!!

What we watch each Sunday is some misshapen unholy abortion…a travesty, an insult…an Actual Blasphemy against The Game of Football.

It is like watching Lord of the Flies play out on a football field…or the Island of Dr. Moreau…or both.

This may be the most demoralized I’ve ever been when I realize they are SO FAR AWAY from playing well consistently.

I mean they are at the point of just trying not to look like a Class C rec league softball team that booked the wrong tournament and are playing against travel All Stars from Texas…

Washington Generals! That’s it! That’s what this shambling shitpile really is. Guys getting paid, knowing they are going to not just get their ass beat, but the fans are showing up just to see them get punked and humiliated…

Ruinous. It’s Ruinous to a fan base to shit in their face for the better part of 25 years and say

HEY! JUST WAIT TIL 2025 GUYS WHEN WE HAVE ENOUGH BEAN SPROUTS AND CASH!! WE’RE GONNA BE GREAT THEN!!!

fu2, Lions. Eff Ewe 2.

6 Likes

You clearly weren’t here in the offseason if you think that. The entire offseason this board was all about how Holmes is making genius signings, how the coaching staff upgrades were worth at least a 4-5 win improvement, how guys like Perriman were going to replace Marvin Jones’ production.

Months of reading this stuff then when the Lions are worse than anyone could have imagined its like “well yea everyone knew that duh.” :joy::skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

The Bills and Titans game really drove this home. Not just the “well of course we don’t have this talent level,” but the discrepancy all over the field. Tonight was professional football. The Lions squad, and I’m being serious, looks far closer to an arena football team

1 Like

And yet we were winning in 2 games with 3 seconds left with an arena team, that’s actually not so bad when you put it that way.

1 Like

Coach Campbell has this team playing hard. No doubt. But relying on things like dramatic come backs after the opponent let off the gas, onside kick recovery, etc… these are ways for an awful team to squeak out a win or two over the course of a long season. But it’s not sustainable or a real formula for winning football.

But I do hear ya that coach Campbell has this squad giving max effort so far

148 days until Free Agency.
190 until the draft.
What we’re supposed to do as Lions fans for the next 6 months, I have no idea.
4 years running where the season’s over as quickly as it began.

Quality rant, BTW.

2 Likes

Most of the board was in the 6 total wins camp.

1 Like

Need more beans, if Brad can get decent value, trade any player that wont either become a financial burden, or who may be broken by the time this team is actually ready to win/be competitive…Hock, Swift, Decker, all come to mind, IF Brad can get good value. I know it’s not popular, but this team needs to go as young and contractually cheap as possible for the next 2-3 years.

Agreed. Other than the most optimistic people, I think the overwhelming majority saw this as a well below average roster that, getting some good fortune, could start to sniff competitiveness late in the season. Not unreasonable, even in retrospect.

I don’t think many people foresaw being without half-ish of the projected preseason starters by game four. I think the results would be pretty predictable to anyone given that particular set of information.

I said 4 wins. Now, I can’t see one.
That’s disappointing.

Predicting 6 wins very well might have made you a slappy in some minds. Not that it’s anything personal, rather 6 wins seemed as high a mountain to climb as 10 or 12.

That falls into the fine print of “dumpster fire.” You have to have a tons of shit go wrong to end the season with only 1-2 wins.

2 Likes