We Need Elite

While this is a great point

The first point imo really is the point

The comparison of the two sets of players could also be the difference. Allen make that play to Chark ? No hate on Chark but Diggs is rated as one of the best.

Does Goff complete it to Diggs ?

I thought it was a pretty good game

There is a reason why Goff is one of the most blitzed QB’s in the league. Goff is just good enough so we don’t have to reach for a QB in the draft out of desperation and pray he’s not a bust.

3 Likes

The second to last drive for the Lions was an important one that hasn’t received much attention. With the Lions up by 3, they needed a really good drive ending with some points.

After a couple of nice Goff to St. Brown connections, the Bills blitz and Nelson lets a rusher go right by him for an immediate pressure on Goff. Luckily, Goff avoided a horrible INT.

Then, on 3rd and 10, Daquan Jones straight up whipped Sewell and was quickly in Goff’s face.

Did anyone have any faith that the defense would stop the Bills at that point?

5 Likes

That puts Goff with about how other QBs that played here. That’s like saying nothing at all.

Goff in the company of guys like Rodney peete, andre ware, stoney cases John kitna and more. These guys are all in that Category but the difference between Goff and all of these guys and Stafford is Stafford away from the Lions won not just a playoff game but the Superbowl also. None of these guys can say that. That’s the difference.

Who is the problem in that sentence?
Stafford won a Super Bowl.
Goff won playoff games all the way to a Super Bowl and is a two time Pro Bowler.
Neither won for the Lions.
Well, obviously it’s not the Lions, so, it has to be the QB’s.

5 Likes

Well put, brother.

Goff is not the problem. He is playing pretty damn good! He has the size, #1 Draft pick, 2x Pro Bowler, Has been to Super Bowl, 64%+ completion percentage. Most teams would love to have him. Is he the best QB in the league? - NO. Is he better than most, I think so. You can’t tell me that any of the guys available for the Draft in 2023 are any better than Goff, let alone as good as he is. Drafting a QB is a crap shoot at best. I think the Lions should keep Goff and build the rest of the team through the draft. I do not mind taking a flyer on a QB later in the draft. There are plenty of QB’s available later in the draft that will make excellent backup QB’s and if you are lucky may be a good starter at some point. I point to the likes of Grayson McCall from Coastal Carolina, he has good size, 68%+ completion percentage, very accurate, good arm, he even can run a bit. I think McCall is at worst a very good backup and has potential to start at some point. Goff is plenty good to take this team deep in the playoffs and with a little luck a super bowl. The Lions just need to build a team around him, spend some picks on defense and we will be much better off.

3 Likes

Shitty QB’s have won a SB what is your point? If a guy who won a Heisman trophy and played in the league can’t bash a guy, who the hell are any of us to give a opinion. Just because he is bashing your favorite player doesn’t mean he is wrong.

I was going to read the article until I saw it was RGIII
He holds no weight or credibility with me

I love the title “Heisman QB calls out” like just because he won a Heisman he is now an expert

6 Likes

Another showing of pressure is the eagles, Vikings and Bills are probably 3 of the best teams we played, and all 3 games Jared was given a opportunity to win the game , yet he lost all 3, he seems better against bad teams then good ones.

1 Like

Yeah someone that played QB his whole life, probably has less knowledge then a guy on a message board supporting his favorite team.

2 Likes

I guess if the Lions can lure Sean McVay & Aaron Donald out of SoCal…

we will be in luck.

That isn’t the point. I may actually agree with his take on this but that still isn’t the point.
I lived in the DC/MD area for 30 years and got to watch RGIII. It’s like the kettle calling the pot black.
RGIII had huge holes in his game

2 Likes

The first point is THE point in terms of how the game turns out.

But, as always happens, the outcome of the play is taken as a referendum on Goff’s fitness. My point is that, at a minimum, three factors need to be accounted for in making the comparison: 1) the judgment/skill/etc. of the respective QBs, 2) the judgment/skill/etc. of the respective receivers; and, 3) the pressure brought to bear on the QB (or not).

JG’s detractors - including RGIII, in this case - apparently believe the difference in the outcomes of those key plays was all about #1. But #3 was also in Allen’s favor and probably #2 as well. (And not simply because Diggs >>>>>>> Chark, which is clear. Obviously a real question about whether Chark f’ed up, while Diggs didn’t.)

I understand myopia in fans, especially from it’s the same people who only have eyes for Goff when a play goes bad (Hammer, meet Nail; Obsession, meet Compulsion). But a former failed QB like RGIII, who surely knows that success often depends on several factors, ought to know better.

3 Likes

The worst thing that happened to the Lions on the last drive was the Bills missing the PAT. I think they would have gotten in the endzone on that drive if they absolutely had to. It’s too easy to settle for a FG when 3 points at worst keeps you alive.

7 Likes

Ridiculous

2 Likes

I’m sure it has nothing to do with the Center that has barely practiced do to injury for over a month, or the PS Long Snapper paying Guard and the PS Guard on the other side of the playing injured Center.
Btw, that’s all been mentioned in the injury report for the whole world to see, but, no professional football coach would ever game plan against your obvious weakness.
Ridiculous argument.

2 Likes

Goff has generally played well this season but he has had his struggles in key moments. I don’t think that’s a controversial position to take.
It doesn’t mean that they HAVE TO take a QB in this draft but I also wouldn’t say that Goff is a surefire solution for a contending team either, which ideally the Lions should be starting maybe as early as next season.

As always with Goff, I have no idea what to make of him going forward and I’m sure that Lions brass wrestles with this decision every day.

1 Like

Great point, I’m sure this conversation will escalate at seasons end.

Every QB in the league has their issues. Every single one.
This staff probably rarely mentions Goff, and I think the haters are in for huge shock because unless the second coming arrives in the draft in the next two year Goff will be extended.
Write it down so you can rub it in if I’m wrong.
Just know, I’m taking notes too, and I’m going to bring it up everytime one of you non-stop geniuses acts like you know anything about football.

3 Likes