We Need Elite

Please, Goff was given 4 options on that play, he choose the deep ball. The safe play was there with ARSB before the deep ball was even open, Goff chose to try and be heroic. Enough of the play call, 4 options for the QB to pick from is QB’s choice, my only fault with Ben is giving him too many choices.

Please, Goff had zero room to step up regardless of pass option. I DON"T know the playbook even though you apparently do but there were no easy options for Goff on that play. The facts we do know: Two 3rd string guards were starting and were consistenly being blown up by Buffalo’s dline (especially Oliver). Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that with the ball on our own goal line the defense is going balls to the wall to get a safety. We know that Oliver is a mis-match. Any play call that relied upon our starting guards to hold up in that situation would have been a bad play call. A power run away from Oliver, and end around or some other low risk play would have been better. Overall Ben is great and I love his play calling. But sometimes you just have to play the hand you are given. 9 out of 10 times I think that play fails miserably given the personnel matchups on the field. It happens -Blaming Goff really shows a severe bias or a complete lack of understanding of the strategic side of football where you look at your on field personnel and adjust play calls to take advantage of your mismatches rather than calling plays that allows the defense to exploit there own mismatches.

5 Likes

Watch the film, Goff had a 5 yard cushion when he released the ball to Chark. A quick slant to ARSB would have been a quicker release.

Yeah held the ball way to long and was kinda drifting.

1 Like

I don’t think Goff expected Oliver to dive and trip him up. I think he thought he had the space and time to move outside. He did not, and that is on him but I don’t think it was bad situational awareness. I think it was over estimating his own or underestimating Olivers speed.

2 Likes

My friend - we are talking about the safety. Goff never threw the ball. I have zero problem with the play call to Chark. If we hit that play we win the game. Just did not execute it well. Not sure if that was on Goff, Chark or something else.

2 Likes

Of COURSE it wasn’t “bad situational awareness”! I’m pretty sure the guy understood the situation perfectly. It’s called trying to make a play. “Situational awareness” had diddly to do with it.

It was 3rd-and-15, as I recall. He didn’t want to simply throw it away cause now you’re punting from your endzone. He was tryna make a play and it didn’t work out. Contrary to popular belief, sometimes he DOES escape he collapsing pocket and make a play out of nothing. Not that time.

2 Likes

At least Goff is better than Rg3 was.

3 Likes

Yea, tough to have chemistry with a guy when he barely practices and has been in a walking boot half the season. I didn’t mind throwing it…but maybe go to your best weapon in St. Brown in that spot.

4 Likes

It’s pretty similar to the conversation we all had with the 3rd and 1 play in the playoffs against the Cowboys

CJ was open but Stafford under threw to a covered Pettygrew who had 15 targets all year. I agree with the Goff criticism here. Throw it to your bread and butter and don’t outsmart yourself

1 Like

This is also why I’m not soured on Goff. Stafford was in year seven when he made that mistake and it was a pretty pedestrian year for him altogether after a terrible end to 2013

Goff is in year seven now and should still be capable of progressing as a passer. Stafford in 2014 wasn’t a QB who was able to get us the big win. He had a chance even after that play to drive the field for a winning TD and fumbled twice

But he improved every year since then and won a Super bowl last year in his 12th season

Do we want to abandon Goff who is still young, has been to multiple pro bowls, won playoff games and is by all accounts a great teammate. Or do we pass on blue chip defensive talent for this fantasy that a rookie QB will be the salvation and cure all ills?

I saw an apt analogy on Reddit today. Someone said Goff was the Caldwell of quarterbacks. Caldwell was a good coach who the players respected but all the fans kept dumping on him and wanted him replaced - until they end up with Patricia. Then it was like…ummm oops

4 Likes

No one disagrees.

The question is how much it matters and the best path forward. For sure, would be better to have an elite quarterback. I would trade both of Detroit’s top picks for Rodgers in a heartbeat (if he wants to come here), but realistically finding that “elite” guy is mostly a matter of luck.

2 Likes

Sounds like some Redditor steals his takes from this forum…

1 Like

ha! I missed that here

1 Like

Of course you want elite! But reality is outside of Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. Who’s elite? Maybe Rodgers and Brady but I wouldn’t necessarily call them elite anymore.

Are the Lions the only fan base who thinks there are a abundance of these guys in every draft? Lol

So you don’t need a elite QB to win a Superbowl though it has its perks. Many Superbowl teams did it without elite QBs. They had elite teams.

4 Likes

Is there anyone who thinks the Niners can’t win this year?

2 Likes

But you’re neglecting the fact that without that team around him, Allen never gets that shot at the end of the game. On the other hand, if Goff has a better team around him we might’ve been up by 2 TDs and it never comes down to the last drive(s). Right now Goff is the right QB for this team. He’s done enough to get the nod for next year. Yes, Brad needs to get a back up QB / one DC can develop. I’m absolutely against using either of our first rounders on this QB class.

3 Likes

The niners can win it with Jimmy G. That team is that stacked. However, I ultimately think they dont win because they have him.

But regarding this Goff/Allen conversation. The irony is Allen hasn’t played in a Superbowl and Goff has. And its not like Allen is on some subpar team. The Bills always have a solid D. Goff has had one top 10 D in his entire career.

I’ll say this…if you have a chance at drafting a Luck, Lawrence, Burrow, ect. You don’t pass on that. And even Lawrence is showing its not always a immediate success thing. But assuming you’ll draft just any QB and ala problem solved. Which from my observations seems to be actual thing on this site. I think is a pretty far out notion. And I’m being overly respectful by saying that.

7 Likes

Pretty sure no one disagrees with this. These guys come along every 3-4 years.

Would you pass on Lance, Wilson, Pickett, Darnold, Mayfield, Goff, Wentz (to name a few)? There were some good quarterbacks who were available those years too, but it’s a pretty big gamble.

1 Like

Young is the big wild card for me. I love watching his game. It reminds me a lot of Wilson back in Wisconsin. I remember those games where the Spartans really good defense had him dead to rights and he zipped around evading sacks and somehow hits a rocket 40 yards downfield

But his size at 5’11” 204 is what caused him to slide into the third round. Young is probably going to be 5’10” 185. That’s Flutie Flakes territory

If we took Young in the top three I’d be disappointed we didn’t take Carter or Anderson but I won’t hate on the kid, I’ll be excited to see the Jamo-Young connection here. I just think the stats one if the posters posts here are too persuasive (apologies I’m spacing on your handle) the records of QB, even the elite ones when the defense gives up more than 26 points is dismal. If we had a middling defense this year we are probably the division leader talking about a deep playoff run

There’s some real pieces we have to build a defense around but badly need a DT, another DE, a LB who can cover, and a CB. Passing on Carter or Anderson at the top of the draft puts the defensive rebuild further behind

1 Like