Week #2 grades and analysis

Quite a mixed bag yesterday. Kind of opposite game 1. Against the Cards, we played pretty well for 3 quarters and blew it in crunch time. Yesterday, we played pretty sloppy for most of the game, yet stole a W at the end. Some individual grades:

Stafford (B) Would have been much lower, but that TD pass to Kenny G was an elite play.

Kenny G (A) Stud game. MVP of that game for sure.

Agnew (E) Dude is on thin ice. Thought he could have been cut last week and he didn’t do himself any favors this week.

TJH (inc) Had a rookie type game. It happens.

Slay (C-) Again, would have been much lower as he got abused for most of the game, but made a huge play to seal the W.

Special teams coach - (F) F as in Fired. Can’t blame him for the missed kicks, but there is basically a penalty on every single ST play. At this point, I would rather just call for fair catches so we don’t have to back up 10 yards every time.

Flowers (D) I think I heard his name called twice so far in 2 games. Made 1 assisted tackle. Very disappointed in his production so far. Will need him to step it up if we want to have a chance in the next couple games. Pats don’t seem to miss him either.

Snacks (E) Not sure he even dressed (kidding). That contract extension looks awful at this point. 2 games where he went completely AWOL.

Tavai (B) Good to see him making a positive impact.

Patricia (C+) Slightly above average because we got the win, but he seems to be lost out there at times. The defensive series before halftime was a cluster F

1 Like

Hock was playing well, he was used to block for Stafford except for 2-3 passes his way…he blocked 97% of the game. He is doing his job and then some and blocking was designed by Bevell for TJ as Bevell said our players will be used in different ways and roles based on the opponent and what that particular team shows him. players across the team are supposed to do 2-3 different things…exception being Kickers/Punters.

A’Shawn is going to cost a mint to keep next year as a free agent.

The #Lions highest graded player on each side of the ball in their Week 2 victory over the Chargers:

Offense-
G Graham Glasgow
78.7 OVR (6th)
62.2 Pass Block
79.9 Run Block (4th)

Defense-
DI A'Shawn Robinson
80.9 OVR (11th)
81.3 Run D (T-4th)
63.2 Pass Rush
74.3 Tackling (2nd)

— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) September 16, 2019

Give A’Shawn the $9 million/year contract we gave Mike Daniels for 3 years.

Noted. I did see him chipping a few times, but I just assumed he was getting more attention due to his big game week 1. I should have also graded Crosby as he did a better job than I was expecting. Solid B+ for him.

I think he would want a lot more than $9M/year…

Flowers got $18M/year.

A’Shawn has outplayed Daniels, so far. I didn’t see that coming. Dude needs to step up. It’s almost like he doesn’t understand the term “contract year.”

That’s his right to ask for more, and he can pull up his GPS and find his way out of town as well. I’d be willing to give him…at a max…the Malik Jackson deal. That’s 3 years $30M. That’s with the idea of paying your own first. If he decides to turn it down, I move on.

One player not getting criticism for an atrocious play was Diggs. Before the half he is trying to run under an INT and lets the receiver catch the ball. There is no time on the clock and his job is only to break up that pass. He cost the Lions 3 points before half time and it was as big a bonehead play as I have seen in a while.

1 Like