** Welcome to Detroit ** Lions select Chase Lucas!

With their final pick, Lions select Arizona State CB Chase Lucas.

1 Like

Apparently, really good, but 25 years old.

Cole Kelley will be 25 during the season, just sayin’.

Here’s a profile from a Ramswire.
Projected as a late round player they might like.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/lists/rams-nfl-draft-chase-lucas-prospect-profile/

Lucas is an experienced cornerback that spent five years at Arizona State. Throughout his five seasons at Arizona State, Lucas accrued 223 tackles, 28 pass breakups, six interceptions, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery.

In his senior season in 2021, Lucas was voted a captain at Arizona State, and he became second all-time in starts (49) in program history. Despite not recording an interception in 2021, Lucas still had six pass breakups and was among four cornerbacks in college football to not allow a touchdown (minimum of 250 snaps).

After being invited to the NFL scouting combine, Lucas would produce a 4.48 40-yard dash (17th among CBs). He would also post a 39-inch vertical, which would be the third-best mark among cornerbacks at the scouting combine.

5 Likes

As a 7th rounder… if he contributes for the 4 years of his rookie deal… like money in the bank.

2 Likes

No doubt

1 Like

I have been watching film on all of our picks… trying to watch full games or at least 20+ minute videos of games… and I have now watched at least 4 games of ASU with Lucas.

This dude is for real.

He is instinctive, and teams generally avoid throw the ball near him.

I watched USC 2020 (London & ARSB), UCLA 2021, Wash St 2021, Utah 2021, and BYU 2021…. and they all avoid trying to throw on Lucas.

Almost every time a ball is thrown near him… he either breaks it up or makes the tackle immediately after the catch is made (not
many catches made at all BTW). He seems to always be in the WRs back pocket… or “in phase” as the dudes on TV like to say these days.

There hasn’t been one “bad” play I have seen yet.
A few sporadic completions… but just solid play.

5 Likes

What would you say are his deficiencies then? Did his age REALLY drop him all the way to the 7th? Do you see him playing special teams?

I have watched a decent amount of film on him… but I am not confident how well he defends balls thrown high and to the outside… because… teams just didn’t try to throw deep on him. Maybe I need to search out some games from his early career to see more?

I have to think his age was the biggest reason for his fall. He isn’t too short…. he runs well enough (sub 4.5)… and his awareness is top notch. He isn’t a very physical tackler… but he is capable of getting low on tackles and doesn’t avoid contact in a concerning way.

As for special teams…, he apparently has extensive experience there as well… plus check out the coach’s conment on him…

2 Likes

Is Chase Lucas going to be our St. Brown of 2022? Under the radar and then…boom! Put me in coach…I’m ready to play.

91.1 PFF grade in pre-season debut. I feel like he could be on a similar trajectory as St. Brown was last year. Chase is gonna play special teams and maybe a few defensive snaps…but around week 10…it’s going to slow down for him and MC/DC and AG won’t be able to keep him off the field.

Hopefully we see an increased volume of snaps in the remaining pre-season games.

1 Like

He reminds me of Cortland Finnegan.(player wise, not fighting wise)

2 Likes

I am impressed with Chase… he was all over the WR on a pass play right out of the gate. His college film is really solid… and he played about 50 games of power 5 ball… so this guy may not need much time to be ready.

I think if he was 22 yo he would have been in the 3rd round area.

2 Likes
1 Like

Dude can play. He’s been good in the Pac12 since Obama was Prez or damn close to it at least. Not typically a turnover guy but sound as can be. He’s much better than A.J. parker IMO and much more capable of flexing outside if the hamstring jinx hits the DB room as tends to happen to
us.

2 Likes

Raymond or who ever the receiver was should have high pointed that one. Cephus would have made that a TD. Still a really good play by Lucas though

Would love to see Chase patrolling the back line in a Safety role…Nearly always in position, rarely fooled, efficient, no wasted motion…Would be good in a Red Zone defense, especially.