What Am I Missing?

Jordan Davis has all-time showing at NFL Combine!

Davis has physicality to be a generational DT. Size, Speed, vertical…
In most years wouldn’t he be talked about as a top 3 pick? What am I missing???

1 Like

He’s a run stuffer only and played only 50% of defensive snaps in college

A one trick pony — with a very good trick
Concerns about stamina

He’ll go R1 though — seems to be consensus

This is what I’ve heard …

3 Likes

Well he only played 50% of the snap because they had Travon Walker and Devonte Wyatt also and they were the guys that rushed more plus they had Will Anderson Nkobie Dean. So he did what he was asked to do.

2 Likes

The perception might be 1 trick pony! With his physicality, his future may be much higher if utilized to full potential.
With athletes like Davis the question I have is whether or not he has the intestinal fortitude to be the BEST. If so, watch out!
I see him going in the top 10 after his impressive combine, I’d love to have him, he would free up everyone else on the line.
#2O? Nope, just increases my desire for a trade down!
A stud D-Tackle can do wonders for the line and the LB’s.

1 Like

He should be a consideration at 2OA

I’ve been telling ya! Travon Walker too!

All the UGA boys showed out.

5 Likes

Highest RAS of any DT since 1987. Impressive.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s a one trick pony at all.

Everyone thinks that all he does is stuff the run but the truth is he took most of his snaps at the 3T. He gets off the ball very well for a guy his size. Probably the best run stuffer in the draft however.

I think whoever drafts him will try to get him to get his weight down however. If he does that he will probably get to the QB more than he does now.

I think Wyatt is a better fit for what we need. I don’t think Davis will drop far enough for us to have a shot at him.

If we take a DT from Georgia we will likely be trading up to do so and my money is on Wyatt.

1 Like

He played far less than 50% of snaps, like thirty-something percent. He was a bona fide liability against the pass.

That said, he played at 360-370 pounds. Clearly a 340 pound Davis might be a different proposition. He has to stay at that weight, but if he can bump his play percentage up to 60ish percent, he becomes a far more valuable proposition.

2 Likes

A number of “ifs” there
Will be interesting to observe how he translates at the pro level

Why would a guy that big and fast be a liability on pass plays?

Because he played at a much bigger size. Whether this lighter version is a liability or not remains to be seen, but based on his testing you’d have to bet he’d be improved.

I thought he was fast before the weight reduction
He’s an intriguing prospect but it feels like he did a lot of “interview prep” losing that much weight.
Will he resume over-feeding after he gets some $$$?

If he loves football he could have a huge career

I want to know how the hell 341 doesn’t get you a 10 on the weight metric for the RAS? I mean what the hell? Does it start to go down at some point because you’re fat? They can’t expect you to weigh more than 341 to get a 10 can they?

FYI… looks like 350lb. would get a 10.0 on the RAS

1 Like

He really wasn’t though. He took 99 Snaps vs the pass and 92 vs the run.

He managed 1 sack for every 50 snaps. That’s not bad for a guy his size.

I think that improves at a lighter weight too.

:100:

Davis stated that he played from 350-360 at UGA in 2021… and then weighed 342 at the combine.
I am skeptical that he was only 350-360… based on pictures.

On a 6’6" tall frame… that looks like more than 8-18 pounds of weight loss to me…

Georgia intentionally sat him in their pass-rushing packages, which is how Alabama was able to get him off the field (by going empty, etc…).

Now maybe they shouldn’t have sat him, but I think it says a lot that they did. He even said in an interview that his conditioning had a lot to do with it.

Now both sides remedied that somewhat by leaving Davis on the field in the NCG despite whatever package Alabama ran, but even then, at his absolute most, it was 54% of plays.

Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have it in him to be a good pass-rusher, especially at a lighter size. But he wasn’t that guy in college. His sacks came on run-and-chase plays (which is still insanely impressive for a guy that size), or slowly collapsed pockets (slowly by NFL standards). He will regularly push his guy/guys back towards the QB then shed them when the QB moves, but that won’t work as well in the league… unless he’s a more explosive guy at the lighter weight.

Now Wyatt, that’s a guy who can get after the QB. He’s not the same kind of force against the run but that’s a high bar, he’s plenty good himself.

@Thats2, have you had the chance to watch film on Davis? If so, is he doubled most of the time?

He’s doubled a lot, yeah. Not nearly as much on passing downs but in the run game if you don’t double him you’re not going anywhere. You’re probably not going anywhere anyway given the players on that defense, but still.

2 Likes

What Brad Holmes and Co have been saying that they use Combine to confirm their views (from tape) of these athletes. I’m sure guys like Jordan Davis will be a double take if it didn’t match the film.