What do y'all think of Trey Lance?

They’re not mutually exclusive.

If anything the downside to Fitzmagic in a rebuild is that he’ll win you some games you have no business winning.

He is purported to have a legendary work ethic as well. I can easily see us loving him.

I would consider Lance if still available in the 2nd round. Zero chance I would take him at #7 overall.

I would hope the training staff can avoid puncturing his lung in Detroit, yeah that would make a lot more sense than Fitz.

I just love that guy and want to see him in Detroit :joy:

1 Like

If we draft Fields I wouldn’t have a problem with it as I would trust coach Lynn. The mental makeup as well as the physical tools is very important. Coach Lynn saw Herbert first hand so I trust his judgement.

1 Like

Lance is a poor man’s Fields that’s played a lot worse competition. I’d like Wilson over Lance if that’s our decision, but I could see Wilson going before Fields.

This is just not true. Yes, they both have mobility and are around the same heighth, and they both played in offenses where they were able to get the ball out relatively early, but otherwise they’re very different.

Physically, Fields is very thin while Lance is thick, built like a linebacker. If I had to bet on one to survive while scrambling a lot, it would be the latter. Lance looks like a better functional athlete to me too, though Fields may have better straight line speed.

Lance has more zip on his throws but Fields is more accurate. They’re both very good deep ball throwers.

Lance looks to be a better decision-maker (I mean, zero picks), but he didn’t have a lot of difficult decisions to make, admittedly. Neither does Fields, which is where the comparison works. I really wish Lance had the chance to show improvement in this area the way Fields did. In the one game he did play he showed some promise in this area, though he struggled in others as everyone is aware.

As far as intangibles go, we can only guess really, gleaning what we can from watching them play and internet rumors. You hate to have to do that, but as I mentioned earlier Lance has had to fight and scratch for this (and his work ethic is said to be top notch), while Fields has been the bee’s knees since high school. Not saying he doesn’t work too, but he’s been given opportunity after opportunity, even after he failed at Georgia. I really think Lance’s journey is gonna appeal to our staff.

1 Like

Ding, ding, ding, ding. After giving this a full 5 seconds of thought, I like it…

I’m assuming we’ll get a first-rounder for Stafford

Figures, the Lions get screwed again and get the worst QB of the bunch.

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence · QB

School: Clemson | Year: Junior

The Urban Meyer era begins with one of the most talented quarterbacks to enter the league in the last five years.

Pick

New York Jets

New York Jets

Zach Wilson · QB

School: BYU | Year: Junior

The draft starts at this pick. The Jets have a lot of options, but Wilson’s upside would be tough to pass up.

Pick

Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins

Ja’Marr Chase · WR

PICK ACQUIRED FROM THE HOUSTON TEXANS

School: LSU | Year: Junior

The Dolphins need to add some playmakers around Tua Tagovailoa. Chase is the best pass catcher in the draft.

Pick

Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons

Trey Lance · QB

School: North Dakota State | Year: Sophomore (RS)

This decision will likely come down to Lance versus Ohio State’s Justin Fields. I can make a strong argument for both players, but I’ll stick with Lance because of his advantage as a decision-maker on the field.

Pick

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals

Rashawn Slater · OT

School: Northwestern | Year: Senior

Florida TE Kyle Pitts would be tempting right here, but the Bengals must address the offensive line. Slater has five-position flexibility and his tape is outstanding.

Pick

Philadelphia Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles

DeVonta Smith · WR

School: Alabama | Year: Senior

I believe the Eagles will stick with their current quarterback situation and give the offense a boost with the most polished receiver in the draft class.

Pick

Detroit Lions

Detroit Lions

Justin Fields · QB

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior

Detroit is expected to be in the QB market following the news that the team plans to begin trade discussions for Matthew Stafford. It would be a gift for Fields to fall to the Lions with the seventh pick, but the board works their way in this scenario.

Wait, what? Both are listed at 227lbs.

I don’t believe this was is accurate either. Fields can throw ropes that I haven’t seen Lance pull off on his highlights. I do agree that Fields appears to be more linear when scrambling. Top end speed is hard to judge since the defenses Lance is playing against are considerably less athletic.

Fields work ethic and leadership are supposed to be absolute top notch. I love your posts but I think you are WAY off on your characterization of Fields’ game.

1 Like

Fields is not thin, I’m not sure where that is coming from.
Look at his legs, those are not thin legs.

Now look at those arms, those aren’t twigs.

We’ll hopefully see their 40 times at their pro days. Apparently Fields ran a 4.30 before the season this year. No idea what Lance is.

I don’t think either are 4.3 guys, more like 4.55 guys.

[quote=“Snags, post:36, topic:8579”]

Watch this at 4:29. He’s outrunning the RB with the ball to the endzone to go make a block.

I’d be happy to add either Lance or Fields or Wilson for that matter. We need a young dual threat QB that we can build the team around.

That seems like an inflated college time. I do think he can run sub 4.5. I think Lance is very fast as well.

I think there is a chance that Lance is off the charts good as a decision maker. I’m certainly open minded about to the idea that he is a better prospect than Fields in certain ways and I’d certainly get behind either one as the QB of our future.

The idea of having a QB with top shelf athleticism has me fired up to be honest.

Honestly that’s where I’m at. I’d like to stay at 7 and draft the one that falls. If it’s more than one then I trust Holmes’ evaluation (having Dorsey further alleviates my concern).