What Free Agency has told us about the Upcoming Draft

1. I can see the Lions take a flyer on a few guys in the draft, not even going to guess who or when.
  2. Still expecting the Lions to bring in a Vet backup even if they just resign Sudfield, in addition to getting one in the draft.
  3. I see no reason that the Lions are not content with the TE position. All 3 guys looked good last season. Though I could see them grabbing someone on day 3 of the draft.
  4. I agree and can see the Lions grabbing one of this young guys.
  5. GG is on a one year deal, Big V’s back is unknown at this time. JJ is going into his final contract year. The depth we saw last season is terrible. I would suspect the Lions get a OG early and maybe another one later in the draft.
  6. I am half expecting the Lions to grab a couple of DTs in the draft, both a NT backup for Buggs and a 3T backup for McNeil.
  7. The Lions are missing a SS, Walker has shown that he cannot play the position, he gets lost in the traffic near the line of scrimmage. Joseph to my knowledge has never played as a SS, so no clue how he would look there, though with his ball skills I would expect him to be a FS. Harris is good as depth but not as a starter. Iffy is a posibility, though since he is learning the position no guess on how he will do. I Would not be surprised to see the Lions grab a couple of SS out of the draft. Side note neither Okudah’s issue with thinking too much would probable look even worse at a new position.
  8. Nothing to see here, the Lions are not looking for stars at their LB position just solid players.
  9. Why isn’t Badgley signed for at least another year even if they are planning on looking at rookies?

I think you nailed most of, if not all of the thoughts I have for the coming draft.

Regarding 6. I do think they will move some guys, like Comminsky as you reference inside at times but it is definitely a need. Holmes also likes to take line players so yea somewhere in those five picks, rd1-3, there will be a DL player added maybe two.

1 Like

Agree with all of this. Great point on the flexibility and becoming harder to crack the starting lineup going forward.
I really believe the key adds Detroit still needs, not in order of importance, is
DL
S
QB
IOL
CB

1 Like

Not gonna lie I’m assuming V is the starter after redoing his contract, which I shouldn’t do. Guessing it will be one of the positions determined in camp, not a bad thing.

1 Like

I feel like he would be a very solid addition to our team. If he slips, all the better!

2 Likes

see bold above

2 Likes

Yup - also → watch how many team go diving into the pile of guys we start cutting. We are going to make some tough decisions this year on “bubble” players. Next year almost every player we cut is NFL roster material.

p.s. Holmes is AWESOME

I’m almost wondering If V & GG both end up sa valuable depth? I feel they are both perfect for that. V can back up 4 spots & GG can back up C & G
That’s pretty sweet.

2 Likes

If Vatai is staying, we’re done with the oline, for this year.
We’re definitely going to take a DT, RB, QB, and Safety.
We’re fine at TE.
A WR would be cool.
We could use another LB.
Our 4th-7th round picks have a tough row to hoe. Making this team isn’t going to be easy, any more.
We just signed a kicker. Bagley is back. I like him.

2 Likes

I could see them cutting Vaitai 6/1 then bringing him back. Makes me wonder why we haven’t seen a restructure yet. His 9.5 million salary and 12 million cap hit this year isn’t going to fly

2 Likes

I could be way off, but I think he might be recovering well so far, but has a long ways to go to be fully healthy. That’s why they added GG as insurance. It’s only March, they are hoping he makes it back by the season, if not he might be an injury settlement. If they straight up didn’t want him, he’d already be cut IMO to give him a shot at free agency.

Just my 2 cents. BJ did say in his end of year presser the entire starting O-line was coming back and he was excited about that and it was one of the reasons he wanted to return to Detroit! hmmmmm

True. And I’m not saying they don’t want them back. But nobody’s gonna pay 10 million for an older marginal starter backup/swing guard coming with back issues

I think even in 2021 when he was healthy, he was our lowest graded starting lineman

2 Likes

I think they should cut ties with Big V and move on. I don’t even want him as a back up. The offense and the blocking schemes have changed since he last played and I just don’t see a fit even if he is healthy. When he was younger and healthy he was not good at RT and was moved to G. I think bringing in Glasnow shows we want Gs that can move and get to the 2nd level. I honestly don’t know why we hold on to this guy.

Agreed. Either big pay cut like Charles Harris or injury settlement. Don’t see any other options.

1 Like

If Ben J and Hank F want him back then I’m all for it. The reasons you give for not wanting him back could also apply to Glasnow.

Clearly the grading tool doesn’t love that draft and it’s far from my ideal, but I think it’s really realistic….

There are still quite a few safeties sitting there in FA, and we have just Joseph and a recovering Walker… it’s a light safety class, and waiting for the draft for a potential starter would scare me…

Seeing us let Swaggy walk that cheap, and getting Monty for 3 years at a decent price tag screams speed back in mid to late round if you ask me….

Seeing Deckers deal ending in 2 years, and knowing we can keep Jackson’s cap number pretty low in 23’ and 24’ along with Sewell and Rags being set for 3 years indicates OL won’t be high priority if we are truly keeping Big V…. Appears so with Glasgow and Awosika being our top backups….

• What’s left?

DT- needs a starter and backup… I see AA as 3/4 DT/DE next to Benton and Alim. In our 4 man fronts he plays 3T or BDE on passing downs, and on run downs it’s Benton and Alim…. I think this pair gives us a nice and well rounded young DT room

CB- Gonzo, Sutton, and a healthy Okudah could be a really high end CB group, or guys like Moseley and Jacobs can scratch out snaps.

RB- Spears has vision, balance, acceleration and hands- he and Monty could do damage…

TE- Washington is like a mini OT3, a bulldozing lead blocker when in motion, a monster that it would be tough to jam at the line… and a red one freak-

WR- the big and fast WR that we expect 15 catches from in 2023…. Gives us the potential for a Chark type player if Jamo isn’t a WR1…. We have vets to take snaps if Jamo isn’t elite and Ford-Wheaton isn’t a steal

Glasnow and Big V are not similar Gs. Glasnow is much better at blocking in space and getting to the 2nd level. He lacks a good anchor and gets by with technique and levarage in pass protection. Big V does have a good anchor in pass protection but lacks movement skills to block in space and lacks the athleticism to engage defenders at the 2nd level. I don’t see how they are the same.

You may be right, but GG hasn’t been all that good the last year plus, dealing with his own injuries.
I will defer to BH/Hank F if they cut him or restructure all good.

1 Like

I believe they’re taking a wait and see approach with Vaitai… The fact that they haven’t reworked his deal yet makes me think he’s not progressing like they would like. If they go guard early (first 2 rounds), I’d expect an injury settlement with HV shortly after the draft.

My opinion on what I would do (not what I think Holmes does):

6- Smart Money Skoronski RG/T
18- Brian Executive Branch NB/SS

We have two guys Glasgow/Big V wrong side of 30 with injuries. Skoronski makes us elite OL for next 5 years at least.

Brian Branch fits perfectly with our DB room. Starting NB, missed 4 tackles in 3 years in SEC, plus with Tracey coming off achilles injury he could be the S next to Kerby.

48) Jack coach Campbell MLB - Ok Anzalone is great at mentoring young LB, give him an athletic freak to be the future leader inside

55- perfect spot to trade down with Nick Cesario of Texans who loves trading up (get our 4th back)
Darious Rush hour CB Raw long armed athletic CB, perfect to sit behind Moesely/Okudah for a year. A future star… 2nd round pick just like Darius Slay

81 Tucker Kraft TE- Finally our next David Sloan

5- Jerrod Clark DT or SEC DT Young, Pickens, Dexter whichever dude falls like James Mitchell last year position of need adds to rotation with McNeil, Buggs, and hopefully Ashawn/Wormely

6- HORTON EDGE guy that can play the inside/outside edge setter like Cominsky. Replaces austin bryant…takes over for Romeo next year.

6b- Blackmon/Howden DB or Winters/Miller LB or QB bennett/tune

7th rounder some how- draft Moody Kicker

Trade for Matt Corrall

if we can acquire a 4th in trade down— grab a RB like Miller,Gray,McBride, Vaughn Brown etc or WR Mingo

1 Like