What if I could guarantee you a 6 out of 10 player?

Let’s say I will give you a magic wand and no matter what player you pick with our last pick in the draft…he is guaranteed to be a 6 out of 10 player at his position. And by that I mean he is a slightly above average starter.

Forget real names, just positions and roles. What are you going to use your magical powers on? You can fill a hole, stack a position or gain some quality depth. Which direction would you go? And just to keep the conversation moving along, if you choose QB you have to give a second choice as well.

Interesting concept of a thread… I’d go corner, can never have enough above average starters than can cover and they are constantly getting banged up. So, corner it is!

2 Likes

Last pick gets FA eligible after 2 years, right?

If so, I’ll take a RB please…

2 Likes

No. Everyone is under team control for 4 years, and the earliest a player can renegotiate a contract is after year 3.

3 Likes

The Office Superstore GIF by NBC

4 Likes

Has to be a premium position so you have cheap control for four years. QB is the obvious choice, but to give another position, I’d say WR.

WRs are very expensive right now and getting a Marvin Jones level WR under cheap team control would be enticing. I would also consider Getting an edge rusher as well.

1 Like

Speaking of 7th round RB’s, I keep expecting to see a Jemar Jefferson sighting with Craig Reynolds on IR.

2 Likes

4 Likes

If I had a magic wand , then my pick would be better than a 6 out of 10 player.

2 Likes

I’m using it on a backup quarterback. Outside of that I’m going to use it on a cornerback. Depth is more important than ever and if you can land a solid corner that can be trusted to come in and play well you take it.

1 Like

There are some positions where a 6 just isn’t good enough, like OT.
Then there are other positions where a 6 is still starting caliber without holding back the team.

Any of the RB, TE, depth WR and starting G would be OK to have a 6.

On the D side, maybe a NB, S or even DT would be OK.

So, if I’m going to pick a 6 out of 10 player with the last pick in the draft, the biggest payoff would be for RB, IMO. RB1, specifically. (G and TE are close seconds, followed by S)

1 Like

Given our current roster, I’m going LBer or DE.

1 Like

If you want to draft a left tackle, he will be a slightly above average starter at left tackle. There is literally no position the scale “wouldn’t be good enough for” because you are getting an above average starter no matter what position it is.

QB is the obvious choice because it’s hard to find a good one outside first round. I think the last time I looked, Edge rusher was hard to find as well (OT also, but we have Sewell and Decker).

QB
Edge

For me, I’m looking to score higher on the scale than 6 for QB and LT. Give me a 6 at RB and we’re in better shape than we’ve been in decades at RB. Give me a 6 at LT and we’re in the Backus years again.

Better than average, huh?
DT. It’s a no brainer.

1 Like

Ahh the wand of mediocrity. Often found with the cloak of disappointment and the boots of meh

Once all three were in the sole possession of Jeff Backus

If backus was a 6 does that make raiola a 4?

3 Likes

Raiola is a 4 after a six pack

2 Likes

Dom says, :fu:

1 Like