What is going on with college football, and sports in general?

I’ll have a very detailed post on who and what I think is responsible for the death of college football, but I wanted to Kickstart the thread and the discussion now, because of all of the news that is breaking.

I’ll keep all the news bits up here in the o.p.

First off, Oklahoma and Texas have officially notified the Big 12 that they aren’t renewing their memberships in 2025 and plan to join the SEC as soon as possible.

Oregon, Colorado, USC, and UCLA have all reached out to the B1G about membership.

I wouldn’t mind the B1G grabbing Iowa St and Oklahoma St. That would really beef up the west. Especially basketball.

1 Like

I’ve seen absolutely no reputable sources talk about that Oregon/CO/USC/UCLA B1G thing.

As for Texas and Oklahoma, it makes no sense to me. You’re making your chances worse by moving to the SEC. It’s all about money.

Overall, we are eventually headed for a massive superconference and, hopefully, a better playoff system.

1 Like

It’s the beginning of the end for college football as we know it. Super Conferences are inevitable at this point. Most of the powers are in one conference now. It’s sad to see this unfold but money talks.

3 Likes

Buckeye Scoop is where I got my info from. It’s a paywall site.

They’ve got pretty credible guys though if you want to go look at the staff.

At this point there should just be another league/divisionthat holds the top 25 to 30 top schools.

Then a mid majors league/division of similar size

Then remaining D1s as small majors ( or Jumbo Shrimp!)

D2

D3

Mid majors and small.majors get a tournament like D2/D3 has

The Big 12 has been on life support since the last round of conference hopping, it was only a matter of time. Sure would’ve loved to have Texas/Oklahoma in the Big Ten though, that’s a bummer. They would have instantly been the elite of the conference too, it’s weird to me that they preferred to jump to the SEC, where presumably they’ll have a lot less juice than they would here. Oh well.

1 Like

What this REALLY means is a lot more shitty bowl games so the pie is bigger to divide up at SEC and BigTenElevenFourteenHOwManyAreWeNow HQs

" And that wraps it up for the Tucks Medicated Pad Hemorrhoid Bowl here in Gary, IN with Oklahoma beating Louisiana-Monroe 83-6…let’s shift over to our next game, the I Told You That Pork Was Bad So No I Don’t Feel Sorry For You Immodium Bowl in downtown Baltimore, where at Field Sponsor Fanduel Sports Betting, the line is minus 145 that one of the Florida International players is actually killed on the field by Oregon, and minus 175 that they are killed trying to get to the stadium"

2 Likes

I would’ve loved for those two teams to join the big 10 but alas… maybe this means there will be a good SEC matchup before November?

1 Like

There was a guy I worked with who graduated from Texas A&M back in the 1960’s. He had a perspective on conferences I handn’t really thought about. He said the new formats and who’s in what conference these days is about the adults, not the kids. Back when he was in school as students he could attend every conference away game with his buddies and root for his school. It was all regional, with the conference schools all being drivable for college kids. He said something to the effect of “when A&M plays South Carolina now, a regular student can’t go when its in South Carolina.”

2 Likes

I’m actually happy for the players gaining the ability to receive additional monetary rewards (above and beyond the traditional “full scholarship”). That part seems reasonable. Everyone else is cashing in, and the players are the ones doing the dirty work. Sensible enough, right? The courts think so.

But I’m now less inclined to watch them. (and I’m sure absolutely nobody cares)

The amazing, “game day”, fully charged college atmosphere is going to be replaced by a watered down, semi-pro, unrelatable, unequal experience.

2 Likes

I think it’s all about putting pressure on the new commish to get the PAC 12 network figured out. Larry Scott flubbed that one big time and the revenue discrepancy between it and some of the other conference networks is drastic.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what I’m starting to get concerned about (to the extent that I can work up the energy to care about Michigan football at all):

A decade from now, will “college football” basically mean the SEC, with the rest of the college FB world becoming a de facto D2 league?

I mean, say OSU says eff it and jumps to the SEC. What could the Big Ten do to convince them not to? What would be left?

Honestly, this whole thing makes me pissed at B10 leadership more than anything else. Asleep at the damn wheel.

1 Like

The B1G is too strong of a conference to have a bunch of schools jumping ship to the SEC. We are dope as fuk. And yes as a graduate of a B1G school I am highly, highly biased. :laughing:

1 Like

The NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy provides full-time college football coaches at NCAA member schools with an educational opportunity to network and develop leadership skills as they pursue their dreams of becoming head coaches. The football academy curriculum included sessions on the realities of running a football program, navigating today’s pressing issues as a leader of young men, networking and preparing for a job interview, and honing the X and O’s on the field.