What is Jalani Tavai's purpose?

Another “special type player” that we needed to make this defense work. Wait it doesn’t work. Oh we’ll just a 5th round pic taken at 2.

1 Like

Yeah, we just used him wrong!
I think that entails putting him on the field.
If we just played to Ebron’s strengths and left him off the field, he’d be good for a team.

1 Like

We could have called him a bust the moment he was selected. Like RB, ILB is an unacceptable position to be targeted in the second round by a team in rebuild mode. If those position groups are a last remaining hole for a championship contender, sure. But we have had much more pressing needs (defensive line) that go ignored. BAD.

Yep - our usage of him was garbage. We asked him to block and catch, neither of which was his strength. LOL

6 Likes

He was drafted to prove that Bob was the smartest guy in the room… unfortunately the only other guy in the room was Millen…

3 Likes

The Lions would get more out of Tavai if they accepted him for what he is: A thumper. Asking him to pick up underneath coverage and beat blockers in space exposes his lack of speed. Keeping him in the box plays to his strengths in filling gaps and making clean tackles. Obviously, this would mean Quinntricia having to admit that they stupidly took a 2 down ILB in the 2nd instead of in the late rounds.

To start the game, both he and Collins were missing gaps. They seemed to get a little better, but after Collins went out, Tavai was flying around out there dropping into zones. I still like his upside and do not think of him as one-dimensional.

I think Tavai cut into Ernie Sims, I mean Jarrod Davis, playing time. So if we really want to talk about a bad draft pick I think Davis has enough time in to be declared useless.

Tavai is an absolute Jag. At least jarrad Davis has some explosiveness and every once in a while completely lays someone out. I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed Tavai accomplish anything other than a tackle a yard past the first down marker. The pick was a giant head scratcher at the time… and I don’t think we’ve seen a thing that changes that perception.

I’m really tired of watching bob Quinn draft non impact players at non impact positions. Hes drafted more interior offensive lineman, mediocre linebackers and safeties than he has pass rushers.

I disagree on the comparison. I feel like Davis is a really useful puzzle piece that just has to be put into the right role. Even put into his best role, Ernie Sims left coaches and fans lacking. Put Davis in the role Ernie was best at and Davis would be so much better than Ernie at it.

I think they were both first round draft picks that ended up being just guys. Both were smallish lbers which I can’t stand. Sims did stay in the league longer than I expected. Davis is losing game time to Tavai. Maybe Davis can get to another team and pull a Van Noy.

FWIW,

Tavai played on 51 defensive snaps, had 3 tackles and an assist.

Talk about another non-factor player.

How many passes did he give up?

0 passes defended, not sure how many passes he gave up though.