What is the plan if Tracy Walker is gone?

I think Williams is the target, and walker will be gone. Draft a new guy

I have a hard time believing a lot of teams will be lining up to sign Walker. He’s ok, but nothing special. Either draft someone that doesn’t suck or sign a mid level FA with some starting experience.

1 Like

Isnt this exactly what Walker is?

1 Like

Yes, which is why i think he is easily replaceable.

It’s a deep free safety class so I think the Lions will let Walker walk (lol) - and look to upgrade.

I think Marcus Williams is a possibility but it’s more likely we approach FS via the draft.

The Lions ran a lot of single high and some cover two. I actually think they would like to run more cover two but they lack a versatile safety duo to be able to pull it off.

I think the Lions will look to get one safety in free agency and one in the draft.

Whitehead & Hill would be a heck of a pairing.

Williams & Brisker would be even better in my opinion.

Both the draft and free agency have some decent options in it and I think we can find a couple safeties who make sense.

2 Likes

Every NFL team runs some cover 3 looks but the Lions run less than most. When we did run a cover 3 we actually added an extra CB not an extra S. Maybe this was out of necessity but either way I don’t expect us to run a lot of 3 safety looks.

I do expect to see more cover two then last season.

I’m not sure he means they will play cover 3 much…. but maybe just use a personnel group with 3 safeties on the field like the Saints have done with Jenkins, Williams, and CGJ.

I think he may be looking at having Will Harris play the same type of role as CGJ at slot CB…. based on his earlier post.

That’s what you would call a big Nickel package

1 Like

I knew I wasn’t crazy…

grinch smile GIF

Welcome back, Quandre Diggs.

Was walker listed in the top 100 available free agents? I stopped reading at about #80

I want to see him get some live reps in preseason before we crown him as the new starting safety.

He already has a lot on his plate as backup QB.

But if you want to crown him, crown him.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

1 Like

I figure he injures someone on about one of every 2 or 3 plays. Not sure if it’s humane to put him at S, because he’s got a running start at people before he lights them up.

I figure once enough backups get on the field, we win by default. He really wouldn’t have to play that well…as long as he’s cranking people on every play.

1 Like

Well said, I figure.

1 Like

Technically it’s called a big nickel but yea it’s a Nickel package.

No he wasn’t and he took exception to it because he thought he belonged in the top 75.

Here’s a thread I had on it a while back.

1 Like

I like to call it a Buffalo Nickel.
Just feels more fun.

Thanks. I read the thread about that article but evidently forgot to read the article itself

Williams & Brisker would be best combination an we could pick up cheaper for depth or draft 2 depending on how draft shakes out.

If you run D system as Saints will need like 5 or 6 safety’s

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.