What is the positional value of WR?

We talk all the time about “positional value”, right?

The idea that a certain position impacts the game more than another.

I think for a long time WR was held in a lower regard to other positions, because of the fact that it took a good QB to get them the ball in the first place.

However, there was something I saw earlier that I wanted to share.

WR was clearly our biggest problem last year, and the last 6 games out of St. Brown was the only truly good play we got out of a receiver this year.

So that chart begs the question. Is WR more valuable than EDGE? And if so, should we be seriously thinking about one at 2?

I feel also that there would be a stigma among Lions fans with a potential receiver at 2, not because it hasn’t been done recently, but because it has, by us, and it yielded a top 5 WR of all time at worst.

I think we’d unfairly expect, whether we were thinking about it or not, our #2 pick to be another Calvin Johnson.

That’s driven me away a little bit from the idea of WR, but I’ll say it again. I believe Garrett Wilson has the best chance to be a top 10 player at his postion among the whole 1st round. He’s another Stefon Diggs level player.

I wouldn’t be mad at that pick at all, but I think that getting over the WR stigma is something our front office probably won’t do. I think they play it safe and take an EDGE.

4 Likes

Playing it safe or being smart. Whatever one wants to call it. It’s the best move to go defense.

2 Likes

Fascinating.

If they can make a move with a team like New Orleans and nab a JJ and a London (or Wilson if a trade shakes out that way), it’d be much preferred. I don’t mind investing in WR. I don’t have nearly the confidence in that group that some here do.

1 Like

You can win a lot of games with a good QB/WR duo… It may not get you to the promise land, but scoring points is the name of the game in today’s NFL… WRs are getting $30 million/year contracts and are being traded for 3, 4, 5 picks now…

WR is a very high value position for sure, especially in today’s NFL…

but

that’s mitigated somewhat by the sheer numbers of receivers that are starting to enter the league every year. I have a sneaking suspicion some teams are really gonna regret paying out these huge contracts, especially since most teams play 3 WRs at a time.

5 Likes

I have only confidence in Amon, than Reynods some. To me, we just need recievers. 1 stud at 32, 24, than another in late rounds. This is not a good reciever group we have. Watch, they’ll draft none :laughing:

QBs that throw TDs.
Players that catch TDs.
Players that protect QBs.
Players that pressure QBs.
CBs that prevent QBs from throwing TDs.

easy GIF

4 Likes

That’s a long-winded way of saying,

“draft the kid from Ohio St.”

You’re relentless promotion and support of the buckeyes is inspiring. Take an upvote.

That’s one way of looking at it, but to assume I blindly support any player of ours is false.

We’ve been a top 2 program of the past 20 years. We’ve had some pretty good players. So when I see a player that’s on that level, I hope we as the Lions can get them.

Fields was on that level. Wilson is too. JSN already is in my opinion.

Olave isn’t really.

And ask @CuriousHusker what I thought of our linebackers last year.

WERNER HATER!!!

1 Like

we have a 'sure thing ’ in St Brown and WR is a deep class, in addition? ur defense is woefully behind and weak. We must change this to some better degree…even if it’s only 20% …that’s an improvement. you draft the surest defensive players you can and take a late WR or TE to help pair with St Brown.

1 Like

I think the “purpose” of the wide receiver is to establish the attack. Push the defense past the line of scrimmage. and provide an outlet for the quarterback. basically get open and catch balls. i think the lions should draft at least two wide receivers early. not first round but the second and third. This draft class is deep at wide receiver and yes all of the top five teams have a wr/qb duo so, it goes to follow but anyways catch you later peeps.

WR is certainly a position of value. But I would rather take an elite pass rusher because good WRs seem more abundant than good pass rushers.

That is anecdotal and I may be wrong. But I haven’t seen a good pass rush in Detroit for a while so I am likely having some recency bias. Remove the sun god and I might see things differently.

Agreeing here @HSVLion, the other important tidbit is two fold, for a WR to be most effective you also need an good O-line and the abitiy to run the ball. We are in a good spot to go after a great one. But, at what cost, much like you say in regards to the QB class, there is not one worth 2OA, same with WR.
Taking a WR @2 is much like taking Willis @2. Hope they both reach the upside.

was that a poke against Stafford ? —the guy that had 50,000 yards of getting the ball to his receivers here?

No, it was mainly against Kenny Golladay, actually. That’s who I thought of when writing that.

OH, you mean Kenny Golladay that got over 3,000 yards in his career here? 3068-actually. career in Detroit.

you might actually want to choose players that QB’s didn’t get the ball to…

Yeah, the same Kenny Golladay that didn’t catch a touchdown this past year from Daniel Jones after getting payed 84 million dollars.

oh who’s fault is that? the QB , KG , or the money he was handed ?

Daniel Jones lol…when you said that I was like who in thee ^%$ ?