What position lines-up with that #18 pick?

If we take a CB with pick #6 and you go BPA at that #18 pick, I’m seeing Lukas VanNess and Nolan Smith’s names keep popping up on the mock draft simulators but we just drafted 3 DE’s last year. Also, Michael Mayer the Tight End and Dalton Kincaid which we could use a TE despite us Lions fans hate the thought of taking another first round TE. Wide Receiver could be an option with Addison or Zay Flowers or if someone else drops. Bresee could be an option as well but a lot of people are saying 2nd round now.
Thoughts?

1 Like

I think Nolan Smith is a guy who doesn’t get a ton of love on here, but may really interest the Lions. I know we are deep at edge, but Lions aren’t looking to fill specific holes and will take the best player on their board.

Nolan has the off the field intangibles and high end athleticism that this staff loves.

2 Likes

Runningback

grinning the grinch GIF

3 Likes

Not in order of preference but
WR
RB
OL
DL

1 Like

Our CB signings signify to me that Brad won’t be forced by need in any direction. Today’s seance reveals that he’ll take DL talent or AR at #6, not CB. If DL at #6, then a CB talent like Banks or Porter would be niiice. If AR, then VanNess, Nolan Smith, Bresee or The AA Bomb. So I say…

2 Likes

Smith is a great off ball linebacker and doesn’t have to play the edge exclusively. His coverage is good and he had a couple interceptions last year.

4 Likes

Trade down lines up best.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of mocks that have us taking Robinson. I hope he’s there, cause I got a feeling we just screwed the pooch.

1 Like

Believe he’s also had injury issues. I’m intrigued by Smith, but giving him time in an off the ball role as well as edge.

Probably not a popular pick here but Hendon Hooker at 18 makes a lot of sense IMO

5 Likes

I don’t think CB is in play at 6 because at 18 the value is so high at the position (think one of Branch/Witherspoon/Porter will be available). It’s also a deep class at corner so that being the reach position at 6 doesn’t make sense to me.

If we are going to reach at 6, because we don’t take Carter, I think it’s for a WR, QB, or an EDGE. Basically JSN, Levis/AR, or Wilson.

4 Likes

It definitely does. Because he’s not making it to 48. I think Hooker goes as high as 18 and I doubt he gets out of the 1st round. Raiders and Seahawks have a lot of draft capital to move back up into round 1 from 37 & 38.

3 Likes

I would be utterly shocked if he went that high.

1 Like

I get it. But he might be in the top 5 conversation if he didn’t get hurt. And because he’s probably out year 1, that 5th year is kind of important. I see it more likely he gets picked with one of the last couple picks in round 1. With a trade up from someone.

1 Like

He might be, but he’ll have to answer a lot of questions during the pre-draft process. Personally I wouldn’t be willing to draft him in the first 3 rounds because of all those questions, but then I’m not in a position to get them answered. Brad is.

With how Holmes has dealt with the LB position in his times in front offices, I’d be stunned if he spent a 1st round pick on a linebacker.

1 Like

You wouldn’t draft Hendon Hooker in the first 3 rounds? Why? What questions do you need answered?

1 Like

Why did Virginia Tech basically run him off? Why did it take him so long to show any pro potential? Was he just a grown man playing against boys by the end? Can he run a real professional offense? Tennessee’s is so wonky there’s hardly a single offensive play that he’ll use in the pros. Why did he lose the QB competition when he first got to Tennessee?

I’m not saying he can’t answer those questions, but for me they need answering. And since I won’t be able to get those answers myself, he’ll remain a guy who’s low on my board. Thankfully Brad can get those answers, and if he drafts him, it will indicate he must have answered those questions to Brad’s liking.

5 Likes

Hooker is also 25 and won’t play year one due to his injury. So in 2024 someone who drafts him has a 26 year old backup rookie from a one read offense

That probably lines up more as a 3rd or 4th round pick

4 Likes

Right, but those are facts lol, not questions. Which is another reason why I don’t think he’s our backup QB plan, he might not even be ready to play this year. If we draft him we’ll have to bring in a 3rd option as well.

1 Like