What to make of the Lions silence in free agency?

Because we don’t want to overpay for a one-year wonder probably.

2 Likes

Because they’re saving the money for A-Rob and Marcus Williams…

grinch smile GIF

How did you feel about the Lions Day 1 signings in the past? Have any of them panned out?
Which signings did the Lions miss out on today that were realistic targets? Still haven’t seen an answer to this question by those calling today a disaster, disgrace or whatever.

3 Likes

Because Harris is likely trying to maximize his contract and testing market.

The issue isn’t that those of us up in arms want these bad deals. None of us are clamoring for Christian Kirk or that contract. We would however like to see some sort of influx of talent on what is probably the worst roster in football.

Sebastian Joseph-Day

But also what @Davicus said

Yzerman still has no plan. No goalie, no defense average scoring. Its what year 3 or 4.

Day 1 of the tampering period isn’t even finished yet, yet some people are ledge jumping already.

I get it, we all want to see the team to improved but it wasn’t going to happen in one day.

5 Likes

Except that we have heard nothing. How do you know we would be over paying if we don’t know the ask?

Doing nothing can be equally as bad as swinging and missing. Sure, you’re not hamstrung with a bad contract, but it doesn’t even feel like there is an attempt to improve this roster. Not a single signing from outside a 3-14-1 roster along with losing players on top of that as well. No replacement of the production from guys like Harris/Raymond, who were forced into roles they weren’t suited for, but still provided some sort of production.

1 Like

Probably not worth getting frustrated over the first day of tampering not resulting in overpaid signings. I don’t believe anyone this board wanted even agreed to terms today. ARob, Williams, Mathieu, Wagner are all still available, yes?

Holmes can build a quality team utilizing 2nd teir FAs. This team is getting built through the draft not FA

6 Likes

Just stop. Have you seen their prospect pipeline? They have like 5-6 future starting defenseman, a first found goalie, and a plethora of forwards working their way up. He did that through being patient and acquiring draft picks.

He was also left with a horrible roster, dead cap space, no superstars, and very few promising prospects. About as bad a team as you can take over.

Y’all look at things on the surface and pass uneducated judgement.

3 Likes

Steve Yzerman is a top 2 GM in sports. I’d stop comparing him to Brad Holmes.

3 Likes

I love Stevie, the man must have the patience of a god. How he can watch Blashill roll out the lines he does every night is beyond me.

I m just saying their getting better, but the future is still has a lot in question. Hes made some moves that i like but still a long ways away. For the lions there is no answer at all.

And to this… what players in free agency are going to come here on team friendly deals (or at all), and instantly help us win. There are phases to a successful rebuild, and part of the reason this organization has never had success, is management tried to expedite the process due to either a lack of understanding these phases or to appease the fanbase or other members of the organization.

As a fan of the team Holland is currently sewering, I concur that he left Yzerman a mess. Also, rebuilds in hockey tend to take longer than in football mainly because prospects are drafted at a younger age and also are under 7 years of team control so teams can afford to be more patient in the NHL. Yzerman is building something nice in Detroit. Seider was an absolutely brilliant pick.

Regardless, I think everybody needs to chill and see how this plays out. Again, this is just Day 1 of free agency, there’s plenty of offseason to go.

3 Likes

Holmes is better looking, if we must go there.
Also - it wouldn’t be right compare 2 to 1 (Brad, my dude).
Further…Brad has access to Fox (the planet’s best consultant on everything)

If you’re a bad team and you’re waiting for quality Free Agents to take “team friendly” deals, you’re never going to sign anyone. You’re going to miss on 60% of your draft picks and you’re never going to get better. By the time you do start to get better, the 40% of good players you have drafted are going to want to explore the market and leave to go chase a championship. At some point, you have to add outside talent as a bad team, otherwise you’re never going to improve or retain anyone of quality who wants to win a championship. You cannot solely build through the draft. It has to be a combination of internal talent developed and retained and external talent being brought in.

Holy armchair experts. As someone who played college hockey and a lifelong wings fan, this is an interesting place to find Red Wings managerial critique. You do realize the Wings don’t yet have the talent to make the playoffs. They have vastly over-achieved this season with what they have. Their best defenseman is a rookie. Their 2nd best forward is a rookie. Please, let’s stick to football here fellas

4 Likes