What were the expectations and/or hype behind Charlie Batch when he was drafted?

Batch was no overachiever. His sample size is way to small to get such a label. He showed some promising signs, such as the wonderful play-fake he put on the Packers on that ESPN Thursday night game. Thing of beauty. But being marrred by injuries and the inability to be on the field when the team needed him most, such as the second half of the 1999 season is why I wouldn’t call him an overachiever.

1 Like

You define words your way, I’ll define them mine.

You don’t need a huge sample size. Besides, 1500 passes is not a small sample.

Some of those injuries were from illegal hits. And regarding injuries, you’re missing the forest for the trees. Dude was sacked one out of every 10 drop backs (1998, 303 pass attempts, 37 sacks… every year is that bad). He got hit more. Yet he kept getting back up and hanging in the pocket to make plays.

Feels pretty unappreciative…

They had to hire a coach from the Tigers to teach him how to slide.
Once I read that, I knew he was toast.

1 Like

That was a publicity stunt

What? That’s ridiculous.

It’s not ridiculous. The fact they made it public means it’s a publicity stunt. Cross marketing.

When Buffalo Wild Wings got involved to sell their hamburger sliders, I knew something wasnt right :rofl:

Sure. The more I read from you, the more I understand what’s happening within your posts.

“We’ll work on that,” Zorn said. “I’m going to have renewed energy. I’m going to put some new feeling into the way I coach him sliding. He just hasn’t done it much, and he’s so big it’s hard to get the whole body on the ground smoothly. … If he can’t learn to fall better, he’s going to hurt himself. I had Charlie Batch in Detroit; he was exactly the same type of slider. They went to the same school of sliding.”

Jim Zorn was a tool for the Lions and Tigers marketing dept.

https://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2008Nov26/0,4675,FBNRedskinsRunningJason,00.html

1 Like

I’m not saying he didn’t suck at sliding.

I’m saying bringing in the Tigers coach was a publicity stunt.

Don’t make it personal, buddy.

He’s not your buddy, guy

2 Likes

I’m the Bee Bee King.

I saw him play in college. When I heard he was drafted by the Lions I thought it was a different guy than the player I saw for EMU. He played about like I expected him to.

1 Like