What's everyone's go to pizza

While I’ll eat most any pizza, I do have a preference with what makes a pizza good for me.

The sauce is always what makes or breaks a pizza for me. I hate when pizza places skimp on the sauce. I definitely only want a red sauce. Can’t stand this white sauce crap. So a good amount of red sauce, tangy and a little but spicey.

I hate when a pizza is over cheesed. I like a good layer of mozzarella, but I ate at a pizza joint in San Diego once where the cheese had to be an inch thick, and hardly any sauce. After 2 pieces I had enough. Way too much cheese for me.

Prefer a NY style pizza. Thin, a little floppy, and a little greasy. Not trying to worry about my health when I’m trying to enjoy a pizza.

That said, I think the best pizza I ever had was at AJ’s New York pizzeria in Manhattan, Kansas.

My go to frozen pizza is definitely Digiorno’s (Pepperoni, Garlic Bread)

4 Likes

@Wrath-SRT and @LineBusy not sure if you know about ferg’s in Parma…but it’s also fantastic pizza.

2 Likes

Via 313 Pizza in Austin TX. It is Detroit style pizza in the heart of TX

2 Likes

Sally’s or Bar

I’m spoiled

1 Like

Frank’s Pizzeria in Wyandotte MI. Nice and greasy. Been there since 1954 and the inside feels like it still is.
My go to frozen pizza hands down Home Run Inn pizza. Pepperoni and Sausage.

1 Like
  1. Green Lantern - Madison Hts.
  2. Red Knapps - Oxford
  3. Sicily’s - Flint
  4. Buddy’s - anywhere
  5. Shields - Troy
3 Likes

Rumor is Green Lantern is where the ‘Detroit style’ started - which Buddy’s kind of capitalized on. I’ll have to check GL out when the world reopens, never been there.

Because go-to means local, to me, I’d have to say Buddy’s for chain, Supino’s for mom and pop. Used to live in Eastern Market, great to walk a block and get NY style like that…

1 Like

Guess I’ll have to try the pizza at Red Knapps. I’ve only been there a few times and it’s usually for the tortellini.

1 Like

Minnesota has some of the worst pizza in the country. Couple of local places make an okay pie, but nothing great.

1 Like

Damn, Pasquale’s shut down? I used to go there all the time for lunch. I’m sorry to hear that. We held a surprise party for my buddy there when he got back from Afghanistan.

1 Like

I will second Supino’s. Pretty good pizza and if you like NY style then this is the best option in the south East Michigan area.

I never heard that before and I do love Green Lantern. They make both square and round pizza. There’s a notable difference between them and Buddy’s. Click the link.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jyteJHoZMCbh62Zu6

1 Like

Loss my pizza rights to my granddaughter we have pizza Friday every Friday and she only likes Walmart thin crust pepperoni. I would love to just have pizza hut even at this point. Lols

2 Likes

You can pull rank on her every now and then. I felt like I had to re-teach my parents how to be strict after my daughter was born. Sonofabitch, where was all of this leniency when I was a kid? :thinking:

2 Likes

Fricano’s is one of my fav’s. So thin and so greasy = so fricking good!!

Clover Bar in Grand Haven is good.

Giordanno’s opened a place in Holland a few years ago but unfortunately already shut down. I love me a good Chicago style pizza.
On a side note, my wife found a recipe online to make something like Giordano’s at home and surprisingly, it was pretty, dang close and was really good.

6 Likes

Best pizza I ever ate.

3 Likes

Taco Cabana was one of my favorite ff places to eat in Texas. Or any dive Mexican place in a small Texas town (even better).

Florida has a really good fine dining scene, but in terms of reasonable fare its lacking. Unless you like Cuban. The fine dining places have really good specials in the summer though. And the seafood is obviously next level vs Michigan.

We have a Jets franchise down here that I usually deal with for Pizza. An 8 corner is still where its at for me. I like the ease of use of a folded NY style too.

3 Likes

I remember my parents talking about Green Lantern and at some point, I may have had their pizza. Don’t remember. However, judging from the link below showing Green Lantern pizzas, they look great.

I can’t remember my source - I know I read it but I’m too lazy to find where right now - but part of the story that I remember is that Green Lantern and the current owners of Buddy’s were initially co-owners at Green Lantern. At one point they broke off and formed separate restaurants. And, as the story says, the unique folded corner square pan that donned the Detroit style actually came off the assembly line… an oil pan or something

2 Likes

That pie from Sally’s looks just like the pies at John’s on Bleeker st. The coal oven is the key. For the most part coal needs to go away, but it can stay when it comes to pizza.

According to this article Buddy’s was founded in 1936 but started making Pizza until the mid-late 50’s?

It also claims that Green Lantern came around about 55 plus years before the 2016 article. Which puts them both making pizzas around the same time frame.

Sounds like Buddy’s is claiming to be the birth place of the deep dish square pizza.

To answer that, we turn to the undisputed birthplace of the Detroit square — Buddy’s Rendezvous on McNichols and Conant, founded by Gus Guerra in 1936. Around ten years after the end of World War II, the speakeasy was looking to add food to keep drinkers on their barstools, so Guerra settled on Sicilian-style pizza. Blue steel rectangular-shaped pans that had previously been used to store nuts and bolts at a factory were the pizza pans. They never rust and, like a seasoned cast iron skillet, they’re never actually washed, meaning bits of previous pizzas permeate throughout the dish. Unlike other pizzas, toppings are placed directly on the dough, followed by an ample layer of cheese that caramelizes against the pan, creating that famous crunch. Then more toppings are added and finally sauce. If you come across another square that’s not constructed in such a manner, it’s simply not Detroit.

Other popular staples in the square genre include Green Lantern Lounge & Pizzeria in Madison Heights, started some 55-plus years ago by Thomas and Irene Vettraino. The couple bought an old farmhouse bar, creating a variation of that ever-familiar Sicilian-inspired recipe. This spot has since branched out to four locations that straddle both Oakland and Macomb counties.

You have me wondering now who started it all. Is it maybe one of those things were multiple people claim to have started it all?