What's wrong with Kerryon?

Its Angry Kid. You never watched Angry Kid back in the day? LOL

Never even heard of him…or it…or whatever.

I just looked it up on Youtube. It’s a British show?
What channel was this on?

Yes, and according to PFF it’s true, but our fullbacks and TEs, conversely, have been some of the worst in the league (especially Bawden and James). This shows on tape. It’s the extra guys in the 7-8 man boxes who are wreaking havoc with our run game, not the down linemen. It explains Bevell’s statement about being just a little bit off too.

Bevell is using different players in various ways…aka, a RB doesn’t just run a lot. this shows why KJ has so few “rushing” yards right now. He has been used heavily to block…like TJ Hockenson.

Nothing

We are taking what they are giving. Matt has to burn the D for a few games and back the other teams off.

Teams are daring us to beat them through the Air right now

I put “LOL” because I’m pretty sure its not common to know who he is. I discovered him in college in the early days of the internet. And for anyone I’ve played fantasy football with, this is the character my name is based on. His “oh bugger” was on my mind when I created my first team. I was thinking of naming my team the Juggernauts, but I switched it to a goofier Buggernuts. I’ve kept the name ever since.

And here I was thinking it was the freakish love child of Carrot Top and The Noid…

Running into an 8 man box is the opposite of taking what they are giving. They are daring us to do it and we are obliging.

Most teams realize our WR group is not great at getting separation so the threat of being beaten big aren’t great. They also know we are in a new system and it takes time to get the kinks out. It allows teams to keep more near the LOS. Hopefully we will continue to beat teams approaching us this way and our balance will emerge. I do think that Hockenson being a 3rd down threat would be a huge addition. Our OT’s need to get better.

I haven’t checked the numbers but I really don’t think our rush attempts are that high. In the 4th qtr…yea…been running into a wall trying to work the clock. But until they are in the 4th with a lead I think we are passing more than we run. Which is why people talk about us “getting conservative”. We have been running a lot of play action and screens early in the game.

Not exactly. As I’ve said, you HAVE to run into 8 man boxes at some point or else teams quickly figure out that all they have to do is align in an 8 man box and bail. The second point I remember years ago from a coach is…when you can successfully run against an 8 man box you are a god. You own the rest of the game. The reward is high. The next point is something I just heard Stafford say about it, which I’m sure the coaches are harping on so he remembers it. Sure the box is stacked and difficult. But if you can break thru the initial resistance, its off to the races.

1 Like

How many times have you seen a team backed up against their own goal line and they are running it just hoping to get some breathing room while the other team is going all out trying to get a Safety.

And the RB breaks through for a big gain…or a TD

Like Tony Dorsett did on MNF once for a 99.9 yard TD
I will never forget that play. :slight_smile:

I think Jaded is on the right track. I think our facing an 8 man box is so high is because we’ve been winning and then trying to run the clock out. I’m sure if someone checks, we’re probably not running into 8 man boxes much in the first 3 quarters.
I wonder what KJ’s YPC is in each quarter?

1 Like

I still need to find the time to go back and chart all of this stuff. In a few weeks when things die down at work I’ll be able to do it. One thing I’m wondering is if our personnel groups and alignment are leading to stacked boxes. We are are obviously using tight ends and even a fullback quite a bit. Plus we are running alot of tight formations.

this is one area (Kj / running game) where the stats based on what i’m seeing during games don’t tell the whole story. i actually think the lions running game is a part of their bigger plan as it should be and it’s currently opening things up for the passing game. i also think things like KJ catching a pass in the flat and taking it to the house are as good as a run but don’t wind up reflected in the carries on the stat sheet.

if opponents respect the run / double tight end run scheme i don’t care if the stats look pretty. if the O makes the most out of each of it’s opportunities / weapons and can put points on the board, that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

I want pizza now!!

1 Like

It’s a miracle KJ has been averaging 2.6 YPC. He’s been dodging guys in the backfield and making incredible efforts just to get back to the line of scrimmage. I know the bar is low, but if that was AA, Blount, or CJ Anderson, those go for negative yards.

2 Likes

It it makes anyone feel better, he has 5 receptions for 67 yards, 13.4 average, 1 TD.

Add/average the rush yds and rec yds and it’s 53 touches for 197 yards, 3.64 average.

I think the biggest factor is that we’ve been leading in the 4th quarter. Teams know, between the scoreboard/time left/our coaching staff, that we want to run the ball.

Teams that are down by 14 points in the 4th can put up great YPC numbers because the other team is looking to prevent the big play.