When do we have to make a decision on Goff?

Not when should we get his replacement, when do we need to make our final decision on if he’s the guy or not?

I say by the end of next decision it need to be a yes or no question. No more excuses. Either he performs with what he has or we move on.

By the end of this year. That doesn’t mean we need to move on and release/trade him (although I think we should), but we can’t waste another year hoping he pans out.

That’s the million dollar question. I’d feel much better about this if I loved a QB coming out.

Contract-wise, its best to part ways with him after next year.

1. Draft a QB and let him sit behind Goff next year as we continue to improve the roster.
3 Likes

Yep. Next year. Load him up with weapons and see what he’s got.

2 Likes

For most the decision has already been made. He isn’t Stafgod so he is worthless.

When you have a better option witch may not be this year. Only get rid of him if there is someone you like better. Goff isn’t bad enough to make you have to run out a take just anyone wait get the player you really like then you make the move.

4 Likes

It’s killing you Stafford moved on and is doing well, all BS and he still making some look foolish.

Jared Goff will be with the Lions through next season. That’s a given.

Even with a bit of restructuring of his contract, I think he wouldn’t be particularly painful to move on from after next season.

As for when the Lions draft his replacement, I don’t see a QB worthy of our top pick, for sure. The Rams pick, or that pick near the top of the 2nd, might work for a QB if the Lions love one of those guys who’s not going to be the first or second QB taken – maybe somebody like Pickett from Pitt or Strong from Nevada.

If not? Goff was going to be here all of '22 anyway; Goff was probably going to start a lot of '22 anyway, even if you picked your next guy. The only downside is, if you know you want to move on from Goff, waiting until '23 draft to take your next guy puts pressure on the necessity of doing it then. What if the Lions get just enough better in the '22 season that they pick just below where they can get the top draft QBs?

I don’t foresee Goff getting another starting job, barring injury or whatever. If he’s willing to stay here and be the backup, I’d love it. He’d vault to one of the best backups in the league, and we were kind of spoiled with Stafford’s durability until recently. In many places, your backup QB is playing a few games every season.

2 Likes

Yep! This is it!

Everyone keeps saying 2022 class of QB are not worth a draft pick……

Not much else the coaches and leadership can do or control.

Yup. I honestly don’t think QB is even on Holmes’s radar screen this year unless there’s a good value opportunity to upgrade the backup position.

If Goff stinks up the joint next year, that will likely force leadership’s hand. But I think their strong preference is to proceed with the idea of Goff as the starter and building around that.

4 Likes

Show us on the doll where Matt Stafford hurt you…

9 Likes

Well, technically we can now say we lost the game due to Matt’s play?! :crazy_face::heart::+1::pray::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This. We probably won’t move him next season, unless we con someone into a trade and drafted a guy. Then we could start the process. Our Oline should be really good for a rookie and he’ll have what Stafford never did. A running game and a elite TE. I know many feel this is a bad QB class and we should pass until 2023.

I think a guy will emerge who will be deemed as worthy of a top 3 pick. If we are at 1OA and Kayvon is healthy, you just take him. But if we somehow win our way out of that pick and don’t like a QB that high, then we should absolutely be trying to trade down and get more beans, because if we are sitting at 10 next year needing our QB1 it’s going to take up all our beans to move up to 1-3 to get a guy better than who we could take this year sitting up top. I already like Willis and Corral is really growing on me as having some of that “it” factor. Pickett and Carson have better size, but are lesser athletes than the other two. I watch last years Ole Miss v Bama game and watched Corral light up that defense for 40 some points. I know he’s a bit small, but damn… Arm, leadership, intangibles, plus runner with what we could hand him?

cannot get rid of Goff until you have a better option -first, that becomes available.

I almost feel as though the Goff restructure was done with the knowledge they weren’t doing anything for two year anyway. Goes back to some of the debate on the other thread regarding a trade for Swift.

Better than a guy who can lead us to 0-7? The bar is low.

1 Like

It’s such a weak year for quarterbacks though. I don’t want to draft a guy just to draft a guy. We honestly don’t need to make a decision before 2023. We’re not going to be that good again next year. You never know with the nfl but I doubt we’d be better than .500 at best.

And,

Let’s say we draft a QWB in the 23’ draft.

Then what?

• do you immediately start him?
  • do you plan to let him sit and learn?

I’m both cases, imho, we will still keep Goff as a mentor and backup…

Under most scenarios I feel we keep Goff at least thru the end of 2023

we are not 0-7 just bc of one player, with The Lions? its always death by papercuts…aka all the little things we are not doing well…

1 Like