When does our Super Bowl Window Start?

How do you guys see our “window” for a Super Bowl?

Window being the span of years where we can add the most talent before we have to resign our own guys and it becomes unsustainable (to a degree). I hear this term a lot.

Does it begin as soon as next season? Will we ever do what the Rams did? They went after Ramsey, Stafford. They weren’t afraid. I ask because Holmes and his key man are from the Rams.

I’m curious as to everybody’s opinion on when we should be pushing our chips to the middle of the table and going for it…

I would say that the window is open this upcoming season. I also would put it at a 3 year window at this time. With that said I also believe the Lions have the opportunity to expand that window if they maintain their current plan of building through the draft and do not try to get too many answes from FA.

9 Likes

Started in 2022

We just didn’t realize it.

7 Likes

We’re on the clock.
Who knows, if not for some horrible officiating in Seattle, we might have gone this year.

2 Likes

We’re close, if not already there. Figuring out when/whether to resign our key guys on rookie deals (Sun God, Hutch, Sewell, Houston if he keeps it up) and which high priced veterans to move or let walk will be crucial. The offensive line presents a conundrum IMO- We already have big money in Decker, Ragnow, and Vaitai. Jackson will probably be sought after in FA, and even if Sewell is still playing RT his agent will push for LT money. He proved as a rookie that he can play at a high level on either side. Let’s say we cut Vaitai as soon as the cap hit becomes palatable. Do we then resign Jackson with that money for continuity, or should the savings go elsewhere?

As long as the 8-2 run to end this year was as legit as it looked, this team can contend now. The offense is at a championship level and the defense should improve with the maturation of young players and the right FA additions.

4 Likes

Let’s make the playoffs and win a playoff game first. Bills “window” has been open for 3 years already and show how hard it is to win. The window is open as long as Dan and Brad are here.

9 Likes

This

6 Likes

Daboll was a much bigger loss for Buffalo than anybody let on.

3 Likes

Wait you mean a quarterback with all world talent regressed when his very good OC left?

I heard that’s impossible

3 Likes

I agree w this 100-%. Love the bills coaching staff and how the coach up guys.

2 Likes

It started about 6 weeks ago. We could have competed with anyone this year.

It will have a higher likelihood next year, & still greater likelihood the year after.
The window will last until the day Coach Dan retires.

4 Likes

Ooooh great thread look forward to reading this one

3 Likes

I agree.

I just want to distinguish between “compete” and “beat” anyone. I don’t think this team could “beat” anyone this year. At least not when I watch some of these playoff teams, like SF. We may have competed, but SF may well have cleaned our clock. Same with KC, Cincy, and Philly.

Next year, I think we take the leap to “we can beat anyone.” That’s what makes that last win AT GB over Aaron so important. They have a taste for blood now, especially against top talent.

6 Likes

100%

2 Likes

Lions got to mediocre this season
Shitty start — great finish
My concern is how many wins can we add next year?
The better a team gets, the harder incremental wins become
Getting to 12 wins from 9 is a big leap

But we can consider the Lions as contenders next year — at least until September!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

With Holmbell, I don’t think the concept of window is relevant. Danimal will elevate whatever team he’s given, but Holmes is planning for sustained excellence and won’t contort his foundational values for a season or two unsustainable performance like Snead and McVay did.

Having said that, we could have true Super Bowl juju in 2023 like Cincinnati did last season if Brad really nails this defensive draft. That’s unlikely to happen, though I’m incapable of betting against that because history has shown I’m delusional about every next season. I think we get real playoff experience in 2023 with an ugly thud of reality at the end like Buffalo had yesterday.

Then we are “playas” for as far as the eye can see with Holmbell. “It’s easier to get worse at GM and Head Coach than better.” Change either one of those 2 and all bets are off.

5 Likes

now

3 Likes

They competed with and beat the best teams this year
Playing at a high level with last year’s team

So i think

Window is open even if it takes some seasons to actually bust through
Especially if thinking to win Super Bowl where it looks like AFC has a tough row of top QBs

Agree Pretty much with what most comments are Saying :smile:

3 Likes

It’s open now but only with an amazing offseason like last years, and should stay open unless get weighed down by top heavy contracts.

1 Like

I think it opens as soon as they clinch a playoff spot. It’s not always the best team but the hottest team in the dance. We get in and we have a chance

1 Like