Skeptical…

2 Likes

LOL - exactly like that!

1 Like

Okay, which one of you has the voodoo doll? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn.

3 Likes

I would ping the Rams pick at mid 20’s to low 30’s with normal NFL injury attrition. That being said, ya never know. The Rams pick could be number 1 if half the team sinks off the coast of Malibu in a freak yacht accident.

Injuries are equally inevitable and unpredictable.

1 Like

Reading: “something more like a baseball player” scares the hell out of me for Stafford. That seems like something a baseball team says before they announce a guy has to have Tommy John surgery.

For the Rams, I wonder if they’re watching the Jimmy G situation a bit more closely now. As a just in case of emergency, break glass type thing.

3 Likes

If Stafford goes on IR we could trade them Goff for two firsts and a third

2 Likes

But we’re keeping Cristen Harper. We drive a hard bargain.

4 Likes

I immediately thought “Tommy John” as I just read this on the ESPN bottom line….if it’s that he’s out for the year

Can you recall a QB ever needing Tommy John surgery?

No but when a coach says “baseball injury” that’s the first thing that comes to my mind

2 Likes

Rob Johnson and Jake Delhimme both had Tommy John surgery. Carson Palmer considered it but I don’t know if he actually had the surgery.

1 Like

I also mentioned this concern previously… that tendonitis is a risk factor for subsequent injury.
Big Ben had mentioned he was having elbow pain for quite awhile before he tore the flexor tendons in his elbow. Based on the info given so far (tendonitis, baseball-like, rest needed)… it would appear that Stafford could have tendonitis of the flexor tendons.

here is some background anatomy

On the inner and outer sides of the elbow, thick ligaments (collateral ligaments) hold the elbow joint together and prevent dislocation. The ligament on the inner part the elbow (closer to the body) is the ulnar collateral ligament. It runs from the inner side of the humerus to the inner side of the ulna and must withstand extreme stresses as it stabilizes the elbow during overhand throwing.

Several muscles, nerves, and tendons (connective tissues between muscles and bones) cross at the elbow. The flexor/pronator muscles of the forearm and wrist begin at the elbow and are also important stabilizers of the elbow during throwing.

Moral of the story (anatomy review)… is that tendonitis is damage to the tendons… which form at the end of the flexor mucles. If the tendons and/or muscle are inflamed… it means tissue damage has occured, and can make the elbow less stable. That is what leaves the UCL vulnerable to injury.
As for quantifying the risk of “Tommy John” surgery to repair the UCL in the elbow…
Here is a link to a study abstract, where baseball players (MLB and minors) were studied from 2010-2014.

from the link:

In MLB, 134 forearm flexor injuries occurred with a mean player age of 28.6 years and 111 (82.8%) were pitchers. In the minor leagues, 629 injuries occurred with a mean age of 22.8 years where 494 (78.5%) were pitchers. The highest percentage of injuries occurred in the month of July in both MLB (17.2%) and the minor leagues (17%). The median time spent on the disabled list (DL) for MLB players was 42 days (mean 128.1) compared to 28 days (mean 105.7) in the minor leagues. Of the players in MLB who sustained a forearm injury, subsequent injuries included 50 shoulder (37.3%), 48 elbow (35.8%), and 24 forearm (17.9%) injuries. Over the study period, 26 (19.4%) MLB and 56 minor league players (8.9%) required UCL reconstruction within 365 days of sustaining a forearm injury. Performance declined in virtually all categories in the season leading to the injury when compared to the previous season (n = 75) and significant differences were present in walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP) (from 1.24 to 1.34, P = 0.04) and strike percentage (63% to 62%, P = 0.036).

Conclusion:

Flexor-pronator injuries are responsible for considerable time on the DL in elite pitchers. Injury may be preceded with declines in performance and be associated with subsequent injuries to the shoulder and elbow.

One last note… is that unlike pitchers… QBs often have their arm hit while throwing the ball.
Any kind of contact (i.e. QB hand hits DE’s hand) to the throwing arm or even hand can significantly increase the stress on the tendons and ligament (UCL) of the inner elbow. Stafford may have to take care to throw the ball even quicker to make sure he doesn’t have his hand/arm hit this year.

1 Like

This is what made me think of Tommy John.

At first:

Then:

Now that Stafford won a Superbowl is it ok to hope he’s out for the season or is there still any Stafford slappies out there? I cared last year where the Rams finished, Brad Holmes let me know I don’t have to this season.

3 Likes

Yeah… I’m a Lions fan… hope the Rams go 0-17.

5 Likes

They had their “eff them picks” moment. They won the big show. If everything goes all wrong for them from here on out, it was still a good deal for them winning the SB.

But now it’s our time. We only got the 32nd pick out of them last year. The well-wishes are over. There’s no more coming from them, just the 2023 1st round pick. I’d like that to be as good as it can reasonably be.

3 Likes

Getting Von Miller and OBJ were huge pickups. Not sure they can pull that off again. Von Miller was big in the playoffs. I can see the Rams in the SB but I think an AFC team wins it this year.

2 Likes

Barring major injury to a really important player, i have rams coming out of NFC.

Buffalo will destroy everyone though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.