Who are the 3 biggest sports stars in Detroit currently

It’s Miguel Cabrera and not even close if we’re going on name recognition. 2nd? I have no idea. Goff?
Nobody on the Red Wings that’s star quality, nobody on the Pistons although they’re headed in the right direction, nobody on the Tigers, nobody on the Lions really.
It’s unbelievable how weak all the Detroit teams are all at once, no star power whatsoever. All the teams seem headed in the right direction but the present is rough, to say the least.

One name to look out for in future years is Moritz Seider for the Red Wings. This kid has the talent and the style of game that Detroit fans will fall in love with quickly. I’m not a Red Wings fan (Oilers for me) but I’m a big Seider fan.

Isiah Stewart has the potential to be a real Detroit favorite too, similar to Ben Wallace or whoever the 2021 pick will be if they end up in the top 4 (please lose to Minnesota tonight).

Sewell should be pretty popular too although it’s tough to really consider an offensive lineman a “star”.

As Wes mentioned, Stafford would have taken the title of “Star of Detroit Teams” but he gone so, slim pickens.

1 Like

The downgrade from Davidson to Gores was like skydiving w/o a parachute

2 Likes

That Pistons TWolves game is the only one left on any of the 5 teams w 20 or 21 wins against each other. Pistons pretty much lock 2nd worst record w a loss tonight w 2 games left

Losing tonight would go a long way towards locking in 2nd worst but just 1 win in their last 2 and they’re stuck in that jumbled mess of 21 win teams hoping for a coin flip to save them so still work to do if they lose tonight. Hopefully Denver and Miami have something to play for in those final 2 games.

Yeah I’m assuming they lose the last two, could go sideways though for sure

I agree.
Hayes, Stewart, Bey and Grant seem to be the future there. Crazy how that Grant deal completely turned from terrible (imo) to amazing so quickly.
Doumbouya is also an intriguing developmental piece who could turn out to be a solid contributor.
Pencil in a top pick this year and the future looks amazing.

Can’t wait until this border opens so I can start attending sports events again :pensive: if that ever happens.

1 Like

Sure as hell are trying their best. I like this write up… “Jackson has been mostly exempt from the Pistons aggressive resting plan”

1 Like

Nice complimentary pieces, need 2 stars and have 0. Bey is a very nice piece but unlikely to ever be “the guy”. Diallo extremely intriguing if not for the injuries, oh well. No big time free agent is signing a max deal in Detroit. They need to smash their top pick and flip some youngsters for a star in 2-3 years. Then refill around that. Uphill battle. Hard to see this team as built doing anything significant. The parity between markets in basketball is starting to emulate baseball.

Cunningham or Mobley and they have their 1 star that will attract 2 others, albeit in 2025ish.

Bey, Beef Stew, Jackson, Hayes, Grant look like keepers and rotational pieces on a good team.

Add Cunningham/Mobley to that, then say somebodies like Ja and Giannis wanting to Superteam it here in the D? 2025. That’s when it gets real for them as the current superteams flame out

1 Like

It’s rough to be a Detroit sports fan right now.

Tigers - Miggy - A former shell of what he used to be. The worst part is, his shell is average for the rest of the team around him.

Wings - Larkin - Worshipped by some in Detroit. Kid is a #2 center on any other good team in the NHL.He’s not great, he’s just the best player (arguably) on a bad team.

Pistons - Jerami Grant - Of all the players in the NBA to score more than 20 points per game, he has the lowest FG% by a couple points at 42.9%. He’s not great. He’s just the best player on a bad team.

Lions - Goff? I mean, QBs are the faces of most NFL franchises, so it’s kind of him by default since since no one ever picks a center as a ‘star’ player, even though Ragnow is probably the best player at his position on this team.

1 Like

I could see 2025! You also have a nice trade deadline piece for next year in Plumlee to package with youngster not in future plans. They have some fun players, just so overmatched right now. Admittedly biased over here too with my last post. I lucked out being a Knicks fan after ‘72 :no_good_man:. So on the other end of spectrum hoping Zion ends up in the big apple as BK starts to splinter

The effect of “The Detroit Pick”

I know right? I was so incredibly pissed when I saw that contract, and look at it now.

I will say though, with Weaver’s hit rate (at least 75%) through 4 picks, I wouldn’t mind flipping Grant for multiple 1sts and moving up for Cade when we have to. Cade-Bey-Stewart is the big 3, with Killian and Saben there also.

1 Like

Ok, so now, my picks…

Baseball - Casey Mize

I’m trying to think of guys that when other fans think “Detroit ___” they think of this player. I’m going to be honest, there are people I know who I’d believe have forgotten that Miggy is still on the Tigers. Tork, it’s too early with, so I’d say Mize.

Although baseball is the one sport where I’ve gotten away from Detroit with, so don’t take my opinion for much.

Hockey - Dylan Larkin

I don’t watch much hockey. I just know this guy’s name.

Basketball - Saddiq Bey

I have a really good argument for Isaiah Stewart here too. The reason it’s not Grant, the best player on the team, is I feel like other fanbases know the Pistons for the young core we’re assembling, not for Jerami Grant, who most everyone knows is a product of the opportunity he’s getting on the floor (a lot of minutes and being our volume shooter).

Football - Dan Campbell

This will be D’Andre Swift by the end of the season. Mark that down. If not, then it’s Hockenson, and if not him, then it’s Sewell, although I doubt it’s not one of the first two. When we said that this team’s biggest need was “star power”, we meant it. There literally is not an acceptable answer here. It’s literally the head coach right now, and that was because of a singular group of sentences in a press conference.

1 Like

You just have to shake your head about the luck this city has. Of course, right after our championship, the league decides to expand and we can’t protect one of our key players who happened to be Mahorn. We really never were the same without him. If it wasn’t for bad luck this city would have no luck.
And now, the hockey gods are saying only two teams can move up in the draft rather than three. This was one year after there were three clear consensus stars in the draft, the Wings had the worst record by far (historically worse than everyone else), and of course, we watched three teams pass us in the lottery to take the top three stars. One year too late, guys!
I don’t think the Wings or the Pistons have EVER moved up in the draft lottery. 0-fer…20??
You couldn’t make it up.

4 Likes

Tigers have a few young guys who could become that guy: Mize, Torkelson, Greene, probably the top three.

1 Like

Man I’ve seen the lottery nonsense debated on other boards and what not… but that is some stupid, stupid stuff…

The oilers had like five 1st overall picks and ten top 10 picks in the 2000s and continued to be the worst team in the league for a long time (those aren’t exact numbers but you get my point). They made the lottery because of the oilers.

Then the wings legit have teams equally as bad as those terrible oilers teams and they get screwed two years in a row.

It should just be like NFL. Worst record? Here’s the 1st pick. This whole “it prevents tanking” argument is ridiculous.

Also the closest the Pistons got that I remember is the year they took Darko at #2… is that right?

The Pistons have never advanced their lottery position. Ever. In the history of the lottery. They’ve either stayed where they were or dropped every single time.

They’ve never had the no. 1 pick, and have only had their pick drawn as no. 2 once. That player was Isiah Thomas. The Darko pick we got from the Magic in the Grant Hill trade, and it was no. 1 protected, so the Magic would’ve still gotten LeBron.

1 Like

I just looked it up. Apparently we have advanced up - one time. Detroit Strong nailed it - it was in 2003. We had Memphis’s pick from trading Otis Thorpe in 1997. Memphis was slated to pick sixth, but got the second pick. So we “sort of” did advance, under Memphis’s pick …for Joe Dumars’s infamous pick of Darko Milicic. With Carmelo, Bosh and Wade on the board. Hell, if we stayed at six, we probably would have gotten Chris Kaman, who at least made an all-star game or two!

2 Likes

My bad. I thought that pick was part of the Grant Hill trade.

Either way, the Pistons personal pick has never advanced in the history of the lottery.

1 Like