Who are your favorite Safeties in this draft?

What safety would you target, what round and for what role? Curious what everyone has to say, safety is a position I’m not well versed in. I’m sure @Air2theThrown, having played the position, could shed some light on the prospects and what type of safety we should be targeting. I’ve heard people say Walker’s ideal position is as a free safety, but has the ability to work in the box. Harris is a box safety, but we could definitely improve there. What exactly do we target in the draft, FS, a FS SS hybrid, a true SS or a SS LB hybrid?

Definitely not Paris Ford. That guy is terrible.

2 Likes

Start here…

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/syracuse-dbs-strong-pro-day-performance

Of the three…it has to be The Cisco Kid

Absolutely. When I go to the racetrack, I bet on the coloring of the ponies and who took the biggest dump in the paddock. When I pick safeties, I go with the one who would have the best walk-up music. :grinning:

Brad Holmes obviously liked Lamarcus Joyner coming out of FSU. Ar’Darius Washington is very Joyner like. Being that he’s both small and a 4.6 guy I bet we could get him in the fifth. Reallly good player. Not sure whether he’s ever more than a depth guy but he can help us.

I think Holland is currently my favorite of the safeties. Good punt returner too.

Richie Grant. I’d play him at SS and leave Walker at FS, then bring in some competition for Harris for the 3rd Safety spot which will get a lot of run IMHO in this defense. But he can play either side.

Probably one of the TCU guys. I like what I’ve seen out of Holland too.

I’m getting Jeremy Chinn vibes out of Richie Grant. Someone from a non-Power 5 school who I think is going to suck that actually turns out good.

I don’t think Grant has anything close to Chinn’s but I think he’s got just about the best skill set in class.

I didn’t mean player comp, I meant just from the “I don’t think he’d be good” first inpression I had of both of those guys.

My opinion of Grant has changed though, he’ll be an excellent pro. I never did that with Chinn.

PFF has us taking him in the second round in their latest mock. I agree with you though, His 40 time and height should make him a third round pick at best

Good player though. His game speed is def faster than his 40

Yeah, I don’t think he should go on day 3. I just think give his small and slow athletic profile he might.

Jevon Holland
1 Like

Christian Uphoff intrigues me as a day 3 guy.

I’m hoping if we can amass picks we can double dip in the safety class. One guy early and one guy late to develop.

1 Like

So I get Paris Ford being a no go on account of 40 but this is awesome. Makes me smile. Pop Warner level gamesmanship. Hope we can grab him on day three. Still a believer.

1.Jovan Holland
2.Richie Grant
3.Andre Cisco
4.Hamsah Nasirildeen

I was all over Ford but his 40 scared me off. He does looks better on film and I read alot of good things about his game.

Shocked me. I’d think he’s not on the board till mid to late day 3 now. I imagine his teammate Hamlin now goes higher. Both were big time recruits fwiw.

Hamlin’s profile is very similar to John Johnson btw.

1 Like

I’ve gotten to the point where I recognize my ability to evaluate safety talent is weak at best…and its one of my weakest position groups.

I stopped listening to my own opinion on safeties after Matt Elam and Karl Joseph.

1 Like

People keep saying this is a deep safety class but I think it looks pretty weak. Just like the poster above me, I’m not the best evaluator of safeties and offensive guards so take that for what it’s worth.