Who is a 'Brad Holmes draft pick'? Pt. 2: PFF Score Eligible Players

No, I have them reversed. 1Y being 1 year ago, 2Y being 2 years ago, etc. I couldn’t come up with a good way to make it make sense and be condensed in spreadsheet form. But 1Y is most recent, 3Y is least recent.

1 Like

Makes sense. I was wondering how Bryce Young got a 50 something this year and how Witherspoon got a 90+ grade as a freshman. Thanks.

1 Like

As I’m starting to build the board in my head, I couldn’t help but notice Witherspoon is still up there. He has 2 seasons under 70.

Although, his season this past year was a 92, so is that high of a grade enough to offset his previous lack of production? Will be interesting to see.

But I’m sure a lot of other guys who didn’t make the cut didn’t also have a 92 grade for a season.

I personally think it’s worth it to include him.

The outliers are “breakout” players. Charlie ■■■■■■■ Jones was first team B1G this year but you won’t find him on there, he was in shitty situations before he got to Purdue. What it does show is a ranking based on mostly consistent growth/play. I think you can lean fairly hard on the results, along with the combine and RAS, the eye test and finally what your gut says.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. He’s one of the few exceptions I made based on 1) having a monster grade this year. and 2) his 69.3 is painfully close to 70 and 3) being at a position of need.

What is Sydney Brown’s PFF score? That’s a guy I keep coming back to as a perfect fit at Safety.

1 Like

Yeah, I love Charlie Jones. He’s one of my favorite late round talents. That being said, I think after the first 100, Holmes shows a little more tendency to draft some guys who are a little below the “threshold” like Barnes/Lucas, etc.

2 Likes

He’s another one of those guys, like Charlie Jones that I think Holmes could easily make one of his ‘outlier’ picks later in the draft.

2 Likes

Personally I think RAS scores are huge for some positions but WR’s are an exception.

1 Like

Yeah, I initially liked him for one our our 6ths but it sounds like the league really likes him.

If someone could do a 3 page summary that would be terrific. I’ll check back in a little later.

Wow nice work. First thing I noticed is that its a great year to need a running back in the draft, I thought that already but this really bares that out.

I was watching Tyjae Spears yesterday, for instance, thinking how crazy it was a runner this good might be like a 4th rounder or even later. I hadn’t really watched him this season but he is really really good.

3 Likes

Yeah, to be fair, it does appear that PFF is pretty easy on their RB grades just by briefly looking at past classes. Now, not every class would’ve met our fake threshold like this year, but a large majority of them would’ve.

I think this is probably why you see teams not drafting RBs as high any more. There are so many good ones available that unless he’s a game changer, there’s no need to waste important capital. I was really into Bijan at 1b, but now, I don’t know…

3 Likes

Come over to the dark side @Davicus. We can debate Izzy Abanikanda’s skinny legs and Zach Charbonnet’s questionable top speed together.

2 Likes

If we’d commit to carrying four RBs Jamaal on a 2 year deal, Swift with one left and take two late round rookies a la 2017 GB, that would be an interesting RB strategy.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered why more teams don’t do that, just hammer certain positions (especially lower value ones) on day 3. You’re bound to hit on one and maybe more. Just like that GB draft where they hit on both Jamaal and Aaron Jones.

McBride and Mitchell would be perfect. Would have to move around a bit but if done right it moght not even take a day 1 or 2 pick.

I saw this chart 2 hours ago, I was just slow to react

1 Like

Outstanding work, @Davicus you have a gift. Surprised Porter didn’t make the cut nor did LB Drew Sanders. I posted these links in another thread, but found comparing these lists to your analysis interesting. Thanks for your efforts.

PFF top 10 LB

PFF top 10 Safeties

PFF top 30 seniors

1 Like

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

1 Like