Who to blame if Goff sucks this season

This thought came into my mind earlier when I was thinking about all of these “way-too-early” mocks that have us taking a QB.

Obviously I think we are all in agreement that if we finish with a pick high enought to take a QB then we probably should because that means Goff didn’t play well.

However, that had me thinking. Who would be at blame for Goff not playing well? Would it be Goff, Campbell, someone else?

I think we also are in agreement that Campbell needs to win at least 6 or 7 games to keep this trending in the right direction, and that if we finish with a top 5 pick then we would start asking if he’s the right guy.

So would we be blaming Goff for not playing well? Or would we be blaming Campbell for Goff not playing well.

Obviously this is way too early to be asking this question, just like these mock drafts, but the question remains nonetheless. I really hope though that we are not in the position where we will be asking this question.

Goff. Simple as that.
He won’t suck.
He won’t be Erin Rogers either, though. That being said, the QB hater’s will never be happy.

12 Likes

Christen Harper. I’d struggle to concentrate too.

5 Likes

I think this is a make or break year for Goff. I personally think he’ll be alright and we wont see a need to go QB ahopping in the 2023 draft. But he does need to step up.

I’ll definitely be questioning Campbell if we’re draftimg top 5 again but my timeline for him wont change. Playoffs by the 2023 season or it’s time to go.

3 Likes

They will go QB next season even if we win more than they think.

After next season if Goff shines they will rework his deal , most think he will be just OK an Lions will draft his replacement.

We will know end of season they will extend him or trade him an draft an rookie

2 Likes

Surrounded by so much talent. If you made this a poll, it would be 100% Goff. At this point, seems like a silly question. Goff had better produce this year…I think he will.
I like him as a dude, but I want warrior leadership energy.
Give me a gunslinger that is a football player, instead of the cerebral surfer dude, who is a very likable human, but a 2/10 on the warrior energy scale.

Goff is going to do well, this year.
I predict
-10 wins (which means a mediocre draft pick)
-QB limbo, without more luck in a trade (or cooperation from the Vikings, who will likely pick much higher than us)
-Massive controversy among fans, with more supporting Goff than not (mostly because they are going by the old standard of Lions football, and don’t view SB as a reality)

If he takes us to the playoffs, that’s good enough for me.

If he shits the bed, he’s merely confirmed that we were right to lack confidence in him.

5 Likes

Totally agree.
But, there’s this.

1 Like

…that’s exactly what I’m afraid of.
Reasoning → I feel this roster is better than most think. We are very capable of giving any team all they want and more. I sincerely doubt we get blown out this year, and more likely will blow some teams out, as well as win the ones we are supposed to.
Lions football will shift from hope…to optimism…to FAITH over the next year and a half.

I hope we have the right QB in place when that happens. Goff is plenty good enough for what we are up to right now…but next year, we start flirting with the big time!

We’re going to ride with Jared until we draft Arch Manning. So it has been written.

1 Like

How far out is that?

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

3 Likes

LOL.

1 Like

Either he plays good and gets a extension or the Lions underachieve and they draft a QB next year with a top ten pick.The Lions in my eyes have made this perfectly clear with no real back up for Goff.Im honestly on board put your resources else where not into a backup QB.

1 Like

If Goff is out due to injury and we pick top ten, I think we still need to target a QB. Even if he played lights out before the injury.

1 Like

Goff was sacked 35 times last year. I don’t know whose fault that is, however needs to be way lower.

Also, if Goff has to keep his TD/INT ratio way better… I am not a huge fan of how the football travels when he throws. Wobble wobble… Maybe he gets a killer instinct or chip on his shoulder this off season and gets someone to teach him to throw a real spiral.

So, its on Goff this year. If he is average, trade him. Get the best QB available. Maybe its B Mayfield? And draft someone that is worth the pick. Whether its 1st 2nd or 3rd round??

1 Like

Here is my take…. Look closely at the Raiders, Titans, and Colts rosters- as I think those are the teams we most closely model.

Goff is the youngest, by far, and 2nd most accomplished of the group.

Henry, T Burks, Woods, Westbrook-Ikhine, Hooper…top 5 D top 16 OL

Taylor, Hines, Pittman Jr, A Pierce, Campbell, Alie-Cox, J Woods… top 12 OL- top 12D

Jacobs, Drake, Z White, Adams, Renfrow, D Waller, B Edwards… shitty OL and shitty D……they did add to their OL, and really bolstered their front 7….

I’m not saying the Lions aren’t close to being in there…

Factually we don’t have a single player on our team who has ever had 1,000 yards rushing, and we have one WR who has had 1 season over 1,000 yards…that was 1,008- so barely…

We also don’t have an edge that’s ever had 12 plus sacks, a DT who has ever had 6 sacks, a LB who has ever had 120 tackles, and we gave 1 DB who has ever had more then 3 ints in a year.

Bottom line- lots of projection.

Matt Ryan hasn’t lost his arm, he literally played with dog shit last year, similar to Goff. I think the Colts win 11 plus games this year.

If our cast is healthy? If Swift runs for 1,100 yards, if our D cracks top 16, and if Williams or Chark play at least 15 games…. Then we win 10-11 games with Goff

2 Likes

Baker and Goff are the same age…so I guess if we wanted to contractually obligate ourselves to a more entitled, lower rated, worse TD/INT ratio, worse winning percentage former first overall pick, it would make sense???

Eyeball test- I get it… when he threw 400 yards and 4 tds beating Mahomes 54-51, it was totally their D… or the run game?

Goff played 2 years with a solid WR corps and a great run game. He had a playoff run and a SB appearance those 2 years at age 23 and 24…

Then his run game died and his WR corps regressed…. They abandoned him and did what they could to bolster WR and RB…

D Jax, Tutu, Michel, OBJ were all ADDITIONS from what they gave Goff the prior year???

2 Likes

I mean, you’re kind of making the argument against Goff. Tutu and DJax were basically irrelevant. Michel, while a nice piece, is no game-breaker. OBJ more or less replaced Robert Woods, who Goff had as well.

Goff had Kupp, Woods, Reynolds, Everett, Higbee, Akers, Gurley (few years ago). Listen, I’m a fan of Goff but let’s not create false narratives. My personal opinion is McVay ate into his confidence and they seemed to have a falling out. I also wonder if Goff was in a bad head space, maybe lost a little passion for the game, etc. Just as much as Stafford needed new scenery, I think Jared did as well.