Who wants Kam Chancelor? (Antonio Johnson)

He is available in this years draft. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I like Anionio Johnson but I don’t see Kam Chancelor in his game. Kam was much bigger, thicker and slower. Johnson plays much faster and has much better skills in coverage. I love the way Johnson plays and crashes down in run support. I’d be tempted to take him at 18. My only concern is the way this dude brings it he may spend his career in the concussion protocol.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Is that pic of Kam when he was at VaTech?

1 Like

I like AJ alot, definitely a tone setter for the A&M defense. Went back and read some evaluations on him and watched the highlight clip, I found it humorous they used Will Harris as his NFL comparison :joy:.

Antonio Johnson - Draft Network

Did someone say Kam Chancellor?

5 Likes

I’m no scout, but that highlight real on Skinner shows a lot of DOG in him. :+1:

2 Likes

I think he would look great in our secondary. He will have to be coached up some on NOT leading with his helmet. Many of the plays on his highlight reel would probably be penalties/fines at the NFL level.

He’s one of the 3 defensive players I’d really love to add to Detroit.

Gonzalez = 6’2" corner with sub 4.4 speed
Sanders = 6’5" LB that can make plays all over the place
Skinner = 6’4" enforcer at the S position

3 Likes

I like Antonio Johnson. He’d be great to add in the 2nd.

1 Like

There’s your culture fit.

1 Like

But is he going to be a massive liability in coverage?

Overview

Interchangeable safety with above average run support talent and the versatility for multiple coverages. Skinner plays with good awareness to routes with eyes for short zone and the instincts to play over the top. He can line up over pass-catching tight ends and has the ball skills to make quarterbacks pay for off-target throws. He has good feet but hips that can be a little sticky when flipping to run with vertical routes. His agility and range help him as a tackle collector in the open field. Skinner should become an above average starter within a couple of seasons.

Strengths

• Adequate reads and angles to the football as run defender.
  • Great job of dipping pad level to leverage his tackles.
  • Agility to expand tackle net into wide angles.
  • Anticipation and reaction quickness on route breaks.
  • Puts squeeze on targets from short zone.
  • Arm length aids range over the top as center fielder.
  • Ball skills and hands to put numbers in the interception column.

Weaknesses

• Tall but lean through lower body.
  • Needs to run feet through contact.
  • Lacks proactive punch to keep receiver blocks at bay.
  • Trouble opening hips quickly to match vertical routes.
  • Takes poor angles getting to throws.

Yeah Kam was basically a glorified LB, while I think Johnson’s long-term position will actually be free safety. A free safety who comes down and eliminates ball-carriers. That’s a tempting proposition, but as you say I’m worried he might get hurt (I have the same concerns with Jay Ward and Christopher Smith), and if I’m right and his long-term position is free safety, well we already have one of those.

Now in a split safety look which we mostly ran last year, having two guys with FS skills is a major bonus, especially when one of them’s great in run support. I’m just not sure that’s in our long-term plans. And it makes Walker and his contract superfluous, which is also fine - never skip great to keep good - but I don’t know that it’s something we’ll look to move on from this quickly.

1 Like

The only way I see Johnson being a target is if we see him as our solution at Slot CB. Don’t think we go safety early.

And I think he could do that pretty well too, though like I said I think his best position will be on the back end. And whoever drafts him as a slot will really be testing his ability to hold up.

In the secondary Johnson forced no pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 91.2.

1 Like

Yeah I really don’t think he’s a great cover guy. That’s why I think he’s destined for the back end, where he watch the QB and break on the ball.

Then he’s not going to be a Lion.

1 Like

That’s been my thinking throughout. Though you never know, Brad might have different designs for him.

It won’t happen but I’d like to move El Jefe to slot and use him in the run game like we did in the Dallas game.