Who will change my mind?

Yes we are, that is why my hope is that we can at least see some player surprise us by improving.

Probably Tracy Walker, because I believe he has natural ability.

Tavai just doesn’t have enough talent. And I fear Okudah only has just-a-guy talent.

How does a guy w “Just a Guy” talent get picked 3OA?

Russian Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Look at this list of #3 overall picks…

Add to that:

2014 Blake Bortles
2015 Dante Fowler
2016 Joey Bosa
2017 Solomon Thomas
2018 Sam Darnold
2019 Quinnen Williams

A fairly shocking number of bums in that group (with lots of all-timers as well, obviously).

1 Like

Honestly. I think Tavai is gone. If he is on the team he won’t play…I’d love to be wrong but it was telling when they talked about LB’s Campbell mentioned every linebacker and what he brought but never mentioned Tavai.

I hope to see Walker’s play improve dramatically.

I’m curious about anyone who plays on the defensive line…and how they play under a new scheme.

I have talked to people who are in the know and they are not sold on Stenberg. They wanted him to play LG last year with the injuries and he couldn’t do enough to see the field…I’m hoping it could change…

We should flip him to the Pats for a 6th or 7th round pick since the allegedly wanted him so bad.

2 Likes

The thing that makes me happiest about seeing Barry picked at 3 is knowing he was ours.
The thing that comes right behind that is knowing that GB picked Tony Sandwich ahead of him.

Hahahahahahahahah!!!

1 Like

Do we need to send that idiot the JPP hand/claw photos?

1 Like

Lowest talent on that list?

Braylon Edwards?
Freeman McNeil?

Gotta be one of those 2

1 Like

Akili Smith was pretty awful.

1 Like

Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

Freeman McNeil had an 11 year career with several 1k yard rushing seasons, several pro bowls and an all pro season. He ended his career with over 8,000 yards rushing. Braylon Edwards wasn’t anything special but he had a few good years…including his 2007 campaign of nearly 1,300 yards and 16 TDs. That guy in 1994 though…crickets.

1 Like

I know he wasn’t a #3 pick but, back when I was buying boxes of football cards, I was so psyched to get an autographed card from the top QB taken in that draft … JaMarcus Russell.

Believe it or not, years later I sold it on eBay for … at least something. Probably an LSU fan bought it.

2 Likes

I know it’s outside of the scope of the OP, and I agree with others choices, especially Okudah.

But for me it’s Goff. I’m very curious as to how he performs under this staff. His effectiveness will be a big tell on how well they supported and prepared him for game time.

1 Like

I thought KJ would BUT he’s gone…

1.) Jeffrey Okudah
2.) Racy Tracy Walker
3.) Quintez Cephus
4.) Deandre Swift
5.) Jarad Goff
6.) Austin Bryant
7.) Julian Okwara

1.) I believe Okudah has the athletic and competitive chops to develop under Glenn and Pleasant’s tutelage. Perhaps no NFL position as a rookie is more volatile than CB. To have to approach it with a first time DC, a totally suspect HC, a global pandemic, no rookie camp, no mini camps, and no OTA’s is about as bad a situation to be thrown into as you can get. He may never be an All Pro, but it’s way too early to limit what he may or may not be. Certainly several Pro Bowls are still well within the realm of possibility- with this caveat; Okudah’s upside as well as Walker’s depends significantly on the defensive line’s ability to generate pressure on opposing QBs.

2.) Tracy Walker was an ascending talent when Patricia showed up. Whatever Patty was selling in the locker room caused there to be serious regression. If the damage can be reversed we could have one of our Safety spots filled with a really nice player. (Unfortunately I am not as optimistic on Will Harris. Felt he was a poor selection by Quinn and just doesn’t possess the requisite instincts).

3.) Quintez Cephus looked like he was going to get a lot of run when the season opened up last year- then he disappeared. I don’t think he’ll ever be a #1 but he could become a solid #2. Right now he’s probably a #4 or 5. But his physical skill set is intriguing. Perhaps he could develop into a poor man’s Pierre Garçon.

4.) Deandre Swift showed flashes of what could be last year. He was also lost most of the year in an offense that lacked an identity- or he was injured. This year he will have a significantly upgraded OLine, and will fill the clear #1 spot (no more sitting out first quarters while Adrian Peterson handles the workload). If he’s featured and has a scheme that’s customized to his strengths in space, it could be an eye opening year for the man. A lot depends on Anthony Lynn, but I think the Oline upgrade (Sewell is a massive addition) combined with Swift’s raw talent could push his production this year (if healthy) toward 1800 total yards,12 TDs, and a Pro Bowl.

5.) Goff is the wildcard. I know McVeigh soured on him but he’s got top talent, has been to a Super Bowl, and is only 26 years old for goodness sake! He still has 3-5 years of potential development ahead. It will be interesting to see if Lynn and Brunell can unlock a store of untapped magic in our new QB.

6.) Austin Bryant has shown brief glimpses of power and pass rush ability. He’s never stayed healthy long enough to begin to approach his ceiling however. These guys can be perpetual teases (see Hand), but he has a nice skill set to work with. Let’s see if he can surprise and put it all together by playing meaningful snaps and menacing opposing QBs.

7.) Julian Okwara on tape flashes some elite edge skills. He’s raw and needs to stay healthy too. If he can get stronger and plays in a system that puts him on an isolated edge, then his bendiness and ability to convert speed to power might make him a guy who could surprise with 6-8 sacks.

1 Like