Who would you prefer as the next HC

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Bieniemy go to Houston to coach Watson.

His experience working under bengals ownership

That’s exactly my point.

For all those who wail and gnash teeth about the Fords, Mike Brown is the very definition of shitty ownership. He’s both cheap and meddlesome. He depends on Bengals gate money to put food on the table. @wesleysh21 has posted some really good stuff about how bush league the Bengals organization is.

And yet Lewis was still very successful. In the same division as the Steelers and Ravens, and with Andy Dalton as his QB.

If anyone on this entire planet of Earth can bring order to this organization, it’s Marvin Lewis. He’s done it in worse circumstances. I think he’d be an unbelievable architect to set the franchise up for the future.

3 Likes

Butler or Bowles, a defensive HC, then let a young guy from an innovative offense take over the offense, that would be Kafka. Although if Bienemy bolts, he is a shoe in to be the OC in KC which would obviously be preferable to coming here. Reid was his HC and recommended that the Eagles draft him, then he gave him his first shot at coaching in the NFL. So I’m sure there is a lot of loyalty there. But he’d probably be my first choice for OC.

This move would interest me. Keep Staff and let him throw it 45 times. The Pirate also features the RB in the pass game a good bit. A healthy Swift probably gets 80 catches in that scheme. We’d need A LOT of WRs though.

Plus his pressers would be so much more entertaining

I would love a Marvin Lewis hire. It’s top 3 out of moves that I view possible.

1 Like

I think Ron Rivera is going to turn the DC team around because of his leadership and respectability two names stick out out to me that i think are similar. I don’t anyone will have success in Detroit but I would think the odds of it happening are higher if it was someone like Marvin Lewis or Del Rio. Those would be the two from a leadership perspective I would look at and then go get a first rate Offensive Coordinator.

If not them…go get Caldwell back. At this point I would take 9-7…10-6 sprinkled in every few years…

I don’t want Caldwell back, I average coaches won’t get this team to a SB. I actually want a coach who can take us to the big dance.

Caldwell had a bad record against good teams. 10 wins and a first round exit just isn’t good enough. I’m pushing 60, been watching the Lions for near 50 years, I want a SB title before I die, just one.

I want the next BB, there has to be a coach who can build this team in to a winner, a winner that beats good teams and is able to win playoff games.

He did take the colts to the Super Bowl as a Head Coach…So he is capable.

If we’re going to recycle past Lions, I say get Mayhew back here as GM.

1 Like

This is not a defense of Patricia - but the players tanked big. Since you can’t throw all the bums out, seems that you have to find someone that can relate to pampered millionaires. That’s a strike against anyone from the college ranks.

They hated him so much that they tanked for 3 seasons. Thats real commitment.

2 Likes

Raheem Morris
Young has experience

NFL News: 49ers DC Robert Saleh is the early favorite to replace Matt Patricia as the Lions next head coach - Niners Nation

I don’t want a first time HC. But if we go that route I admit Saleh is at the top of the list for me.

I like Urban Meyer, but for a name that hasn’t surfaced alot, I’d like to submit Joe Woods for consideration. He’s had a lot of experience in different locations, working with a great cross section of coaches, including being on Mike Tomlin’s staff for a lot of years when Tomlin was the defensive coordinator of the Vikings.

Sorry, but this has to be 100% BS. To have any discussion whatsoever with Saleh is tampering. To have settled on a HC at this point seems really silly. Not saying he wouldn’t be a good hire. But what bothers me on him is some negative articles even suggesting he be fired pretty recently. That he got what he got with amazing players. I just have read some stuff from Niners land on that, I have zero idea. Supposedly he is a fiery guy and did post some good numbers without Bosa and Ford, so just not sure.

Matt Eberflus is the guy I’m looking pretty hard at right now. Read through the guy’s resume. What isn’t to like, is that he’s never been a HC at any level. But other than that, and I agree that’s a big gap, this is a very impressive dude. He had recruiting duties at Mizzou who pulled in guys like Sean Witherspoon. You have to be likeable to be a good recruiter of todays young people. Patricia was not a likeable guy and that was a big part of his undoing. Next is he has had success with both the 3-4 under Rob Ryan and aided Marinelli in the transition to his 4-3. He was the LB coach and look what he did with those guys during his tenure. When he was hired by Josh McDaniels for the DC gig in Indy, when Reich came in the GM Chris Ballard convinced him to keep him on even though the two had never met:

Though Eberflus and Reich had never met, Colts’ General Manager Chris Ballard “was very persuasive and very strong in his conviction [to Reich] that Matt was the right guy.”[8] Eberflus was credited with instilling an “ultra-demanding culture of hustle, discipline and teamwork”[9] that ultimately helped turn the Colts around from a 4-12 team in 2017 to a 10-6 playoff team, reaching the AFC Divisional Playoff Round.

Inheriting a defense that finished No. 30 in the NFL in both scoring defense (25.2 points allowed per game) and total defense (367.1 yards allowed per game) in 2017, Eberflus immediately turned the defense around in just one season to rank No. 10 in scoring defense (21.5 points allowed per game) and No. 11 in total defense (339.4 yards allowed per game) in 2018. Impressively, he did so without major personnel changes, as seven of the team’s 11 defensive starters were with the club last season.

Eberflus’ cultural impact and expertise in player development was put on display throughout the 2018 season, achieving the team’s defensive heights without preeminent talent. The team’s previous coaching staff advocated for cutting linebacker Anthony Walker last year, but the front office resisted and he was retained.[10] Under Eberflus, Walker became the team’s second-leading tackler with 105 on the season (53 solo). Rookie Darius Leonard, a 2nd round pick out of South Carolina State, led the NFL with 163 tackles (93 solo), earning First Team All-Pro Honors and making the All-Rookie Team. Eberflus’ improved the Colts rushing defense from No. 26 in 2017 (120.4 rushing yards allowed per game) to No. 8 in 2018 (101.6 rushing yards allowed per game). The Colts rushing defense allowed just 3.6 yards per carry, good for 6th in the NFL, and did not allow a single 100-yard rusher all season.[11]

Eberflus also improved the Colts’ passing defense from No. 28 in 2017 (246.6 passing yards allowed per game) to No. 16 in 2018 (237.8 passing yards allowed per game), doing so with their number one corner, Pierre Desir, already having been waived by three NFL teams since being drafted in 2014, and Kenny Moore II who was an undrafted free agent out of Valdosta State. Even more remarkably, Eberflus accomplished such feats with a Colts’ defense that ranked dead last in the NFL in defensive unit salary cap spend.

Read his whole wiki page, just seems like a very impressive dude. As a player his college HC had this to say about him: As a walk-on who willed his way to all-league honors, former Rockets coach Dan Simrell called Eberflus “as intense of a player as I’ve ever coached. He made himself great.”

2 Likes

Bill Belichick has GM and President, Brian Bilichick as head coach

Why? Serious question. What has he done that says “make me a HC”?

Matt Eberflus is one of my top candidates.

I think Eric Bieniemy needs more time. I think he picked up a lot of the play calling/plays from Andy Reid. You also need the right players to run that offense. The Lions are not even close to that offense.

Robert Salah is interesting. He’s been coaching banged up/back up players and is having them compete.

I like Don Marindale but I want the HC to be younger. He’s been part of the great Ravens D for a long time and became the DC two years ago.

I would also add Raheem Morris to the list. He’s got HC experience and has Atlanta playing good ball right now.

Keith Butler, DC since 2015 for the Steelers is worth mentioning. Always fielded a top defense.

Of course this is all subject to change as there’s still some games left. I’ll need to do more research at the end of the season.