Who's the guy you most want to slip to the 2nd Rd

If he stays healthy Shenault can be one of the truly great pros of this draft IMO. Unfortunately there is considerable evidence that suggest he won’t be able to stay healthy.

The guy I want the most in the 2nd is Baun, and I think we’ll be interested if he’s there. I also think there’s a legit chance we take Malik Harrison because he won’t be around by our next pick, and I have a hunch the staff really liked him. I like him too, but I’d draft a lot of guys before him in the 2nd.

Thing is there’s about 7-8 WR’s with first round grades on them. A few will make it to us round two. Some teams will have Ruggs higher than Jefferson, Higgens, and Shenault while others will see it a different way. I think there’s a chance that any of the second tier of WR’s could fall to us.

But I agree that there should be a reason they fall but every year a player falls that no one expected to.

But I think some of the OT, WR, RB and DL prospects will make it to us.

Shenault ran a 4.57 and if you watch him its hard to imagine he is that slow. I know he had a core muscle injury discovered at the combine. He’s a guy that could drop IMO.

Tee Higgins big day is coming up 3/12 at Clemson’s pro day. The knock has always been speed, and what reinforces it is that he didn’t run. I think he’s worried about it. If he can run in the 4.5s he’ll be fine. People have been dogging him, but he plays above-the-rim very well and does some really nice things for Clemson.

1 Like

I like Baun too but Harrison not so much.

I am curious what you like about him.

For me when I watch a game I’m always looking for guys who stand out. Then once I notice them I start to pay closer attention to them. Harrison never really popped for me. He always came across as mediocre, mid round pick type. So I never watched him very closely. I’ll admit it’s possible I just overlooked him. He’s surrounded by so much talent maybe it’s possible they drew my eye over him… lol

Well, first of all he fits the Patricia profile. For as much as I might like a guy like Patrick Queen, there’s almost zero chance of us taking him, so I don’t waste my time on guys like that.

Harrison checked in at just shy of 250 at the combine then ran in the mid-4.6s, jumped 36 inches and 3-coned a 6.83. That’s crazy athleticism for a guy that size. I thought he looked athletic on tape but you never really know until they test.

When I watch linebackers I’m looking first and foremost for guys who are 1) good at navigating the traffic at the mesh point, and 2) good at taking on blockers (which is why I’m not nearly so high on Isaiah Simmons). Harrison is good at the former and great at the latter. And when he hits you, it’s over. I’m surprised you didn’t notice him… it’s easy to see him screaming through the line to drop a guy with regularity. It’s never good to scout with highlights, but if you want to see examples of this, they’re all over Harrison’s highlights.

I also liked that he improved dramatically in 2019. There were legit questions about his coverage coming into the season, and he went from a liability to above average. And you have to think he can keep improving - he looked very good in coverage at the Senior Bowl (on Patricia’s squad), coming away with a couple of picks.

He’s not a perfect prospect by any means. He can be a tick slow to recognize what’s happening in front of him, and before 2019 he was especially susceptible to play-action. But again, he improved dramatically in 2019 so it’s not out of line to think it just stemmed from a lack of experience. The more he saw, the better he got.

Personally I wouldn’t take him at the top of the 2nd… I’ve got him graded right around #50 overall. So I like him, but not at the risk of missing out on other players I like more at the top of the 2nd. But I think our staff is gonna love him, and we know Quinn’s not afraid to “reach” (although frankly some of his best picks - Golladay, Walker, Glasgow - have been “reaches”), and if they want him, I don’t think he’ll be around in the 3rd. So without some sort of trade-back in the first that nets us extra second-rounders, I could easily see him being the pick.

2 Likes

Like I said maybe I am missing something here but … I played DIV I ball and I played a hybrid LBer, box safety role. So I tend to notice good LBer and S play fairly easily. When I watched OSU games the kid just never really jumped out at me. Don’t get me wrong I saw him make plays but nothing about him screamed day two pick. To be honest he did test better than I was expecting him to. I don’t know he just doesn’t excite me I guess. Just Meh about him.

You are right about Harrison. I only looked at his 2019 stuff, but he doesn’t flash as much as he just plays solid. But then you can see it sometimes when you go back and watch again. I think he needs to hone his instincts some so he moves a step quicker. And he’s a little high cut too. I still like him though, but I think of him as maybe a round 3 guy.

2 Likes

Valid concerns for sure and I agree about his instincts (though was pleasantly surprised by the progress he made in that regard this past season). And he is a little too high cut but for being that way, he’s got remarkably loose hips (as shown in the 3-cone) and holds up great at the point of attack. He really knows how to use his arms.

I suppose one of the main things I like about him is his rate of improvement indicates that he may have a very high ceiling. From 2018->2019 he improved dramatically, and then again from 2019->the Senior Bowl. That’s not exactly natural, and then you look at his athletic testing and he’s an easy guy - for me, at least - to get excited about.

Well then you’re certainly more of an expert than this bad, backup high school QB lol (and backup punter!). And you could certainly be right, I’ve whiffed on so many prospects I’ve lost count, but I like Harrison. As I said in a post above, I think his rate of improvement could indicate a high ceiling, especially with his testing.

1 Like

I’m not resting WR ONLY on if they have “first-round grades” , the class is deep and there are some producers all through it. I like Bryan Edwards out of SC because the kid got 3045 career receiving yards and earned ALL-SEC Or you can go with a guy like Denzel Mims from Baylor , 182 grabs for 2901 yards and 28 TD’s my fave is Jerry Jeudy , but you can’t count on him being there.
I like Jalen Reagor TCU & KJ Hamler as well.

Hard worker …Gritty kid, hustle, nothing was given to him …he is a LB I’ve watched play, every game actually … In the NFL I only see a Mike LB… not fair really because he will get a knock for being a down hill guy, a thumper or be projected as a 2 down LB only , hell of a tackler .I think his best fit early will be at Mike …but he is LB that can adapt and be SAM in time but Mike being his best spot …the fit is the issue here with J. Tavei and I think Harrison will be better served not to be taken early …if he goes in the 4th or later the commitment to him and investment being low will allow him to learn . He will take some time to develop .

If he was there in the 2nd, i’d be so happy. Never happen, IMO

I really, really like Edwards as well. After Pittman he’s my next favorite outside WR that we might be able to get in round 3. Edwards might even last a bit longer tbh

I know you love stat producers Cub. Check out this guy.

Omar Bayles he dominated in 2019 and is not getting a lot of media attention. He’s my sleeper day 3 pick. Here’s an article.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/11/arkansas-states-omar-bayless-the-most-disrespected-wr-on-earth-sun-belt-heat

Here we go, intriguing kid, I like that he produces better results each of his following seasons for the most part, I like his OA size, I have read the accomplishments he’s reached but two things stick out.

A. The number of games he typically plays is 11, which is not a full season in the NFL which is concerning.
B. TD’s are rather low except for 2019. bottom line is he has to play more than 11 games a season to last in the NFL. I don’t know if he was their 3rd WR or 4th or what and just always saw that kind of play time…but hard to say what he’d do even on the Lions.

I’d say he’s one of the top guys I’m hoping makes it to the 2nd.