Why Aidan Hutchinson, Kayvon Thibodeaux Are Not Best Edge Rushers in 2022 NFL Draft

I didn’t draft what I want. I put Travon Walker and he’s way down my list. I just put down what I thought the Lions might do and other people didn’t have, you know to win. You don’t pick the same lottery number as everyone else if you want the mega-millions.

1 Like

May be absolutely true as they take Malik Willis. Since they can sit him behind the biscuit for a year and after a year of seasoning, Willis > Pickett for NFL duty, while the opposite is true right this moment.

Ahh… the ol cherry picking of stats. For reference, Willis ranked 74th in the NCAA in completion % this season. This is a tactic CNN uses to get viewers to buy into their stories, cherry pick stats and information.

By this metric, Cade McNamara should be 1st overall this year. Why he didn’t declare for the draft is beyond me!

A lot goes into completion % - system, progressions, competition, QB expectations, offensive talent, etc. it’s an atrocious stat to use in evaluating potential.

It’s not one stat, it’s two, plus the combination of the two. So three metrics actually. It is harder to be accurate when you are throwing shorter routes, than longer routes. Being 74th in todays college game does not mean you have “accuracy issues.”

Your argument is self-defeating. It’s also incorrect. It is not harder to complete short passes. I don’t even need a stat to back that up, it’s common sense.

Im not on sold either. Please for love of how many times we sucked, just a trade.

Thank you for posting this. Chris Simms brought up the same thing I brought up, which is what is clear when someone actually watches the film vs watching highlights and crunching stats without film study. The Georgia boys were asked to play a different style of defense that didn’t allow them to put up big numbers. As an example let’s look at a simple RPO. Someone like Thibs was allowed to attack the QB and if it got him out of position to make a play…oh well. At Georgia they would often play the same RPO completely different. They honored the run. They aren’t going to have a high “win rate” on the play because they are literally not trying to win the pass rush rep.

I think leaving Thibs out of the top 5 is a bit clickbaitish. They couldn’t even leave him off with a straight face, which is why they almost went into a full blown conversation about Thibs before talking about the #1 edge guy. But I understand where they are coming from. I think Kayvon is a classic case of when the tape doesn’t match what’s being written about him.

1 Like

This article was fortune telling.

That dude is in Guinness book of world records for tiny hands though…so…
That picture of him makes me want to buy him some toddler mittens for Christmas!

LOL. You’re right though, man. good call.

1 Like

Pickett is going to a stacked team with a great coach. He’s a pretty lucky SOB. TJ Watt is almost like having Aaron Donald on your team.

1 Like

Yup. I love the Steelers coach. I didn’t figure they’d put up with Rudolph for long…that dude is not a fit there. Tough team…most like Detroit out of anything out there. I think the Lions will look very much like the steelers in another year or 2…just a more handsome version of it.

1 Like

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike

·

5h

Highest graded college season per

@PFF

of the last eight #1 overall picks:

Jameis Winston 93.9
Jared Goff 92.4
Myles Garrett 90.6
Baker Mayfield 94.5
Kyler Murray 94.6
Joe Burrow 94.9
Trevor Lawrence 91.1

— Travon Walker 70.5

Wonder if Lions will used Hutchinson in similar role used these past season at Michigan. Will he be more of a stand-up OLB? Interesting, because I thought we were moving to a 4 man front?

1 Like

Interestingly enough Glenn mentioned Hutch’s freshman tape where he was playing some 3 tech. So I’m wondering if Glenn is gonna employ some stunts and twists with him.

2 Likes

It’s a good thing DE’s do more than just rush the passer. That’s the thing with Hutch. He’s not just a god pass rusher, he’s a good DE. He’s going to help in the run game. He makes the D better overall from day one.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough his small hands led to some “experts” worrying how he would play in a place like…wait for it…Pittsburgh! So they literally questioned whether a kid that played a Pitt could play in Pittsburgh. And he literally went to the team that experts said he would be a bad fit for because of his tiny little baby hands.

I think my feelings on Thibodeaux have been clear. But I also said I wanted him to go to the Giants because that is a perfect fit for his “brand.” For THAT kid, I am so damn happy for him. He didn’t even get announced by Goodell. He got the special treatment for the announcement of his pick. So from day 1 in the NFL he is being treated like he is something else. I love that for him.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.