Why Ben Johnson should not be the OC

I saw that too. You’re counting on him making one man miss.

We are back to should have could have Like Lions are only team that makes a mistake or has a INT or a fumble or a bad play or plays take a break from constant complaining .Like you really know what is happening.

You had all rest of the day an night to think about what should have could have If he throws it an we win great throw great play call.
At least he took the blame an remember experts in the Den it was his second game as starter for the season.
I have seen other backups this season look a lot worse.

You talk some of you like you know everything when in truth its hindsight .

By the way…
In yesterday’s post-game presser, when Dan was asked about the future of the offense, he responded that they will continue this year with him (himself, that is) as the OC.

This is on the heels of A-Lynn’s presser a couple days before the game where he refers to himself as still being the OC. (Then again, in that same presser he admits that he’s not doing what he was hired for.)

Anyhow, it’s good that we’re not making too big a deal about this, but for a guy who’s listening to too many interviews, this is starting to get a little uncomfortable. :slight_smile: A-Lynn has been as good about this as you could ask, but he’s quite obviously not part of the Lion’s future. (Yes, I know this has been abundantly clear, but this one is even beyond “so you’re saying there’s a chance”.)

1 Like

Ben Johnson + Dan got the offense to competence. Ton of injuries aside, can they turn this offense into a strength in the league?

If this offense has topped out and will only get a little better with Hock, Ragnow, Swift back + a shiny new 1st round WR, then BJ may not be the guy.

That’s what is so hard to know is that we don’t know if this offense is now over performing or just needs more time and health.

1 Like

Well if the great Mitchell were playing. The second best QB in Lions history, that’s a fade TD to Moore all day long

1 Like

So…one thing…on the Lions post game breakdown with TJ Lang…he pointed out the OL played well. They did play well as far a pass blocking. Run blocking was very inconsistent.

But he did point out how good the Lions WR block.

One thing that caught my attention and even TJ said “yeah, he should not be blocking that guy alone…”

It was a 1st quarter run…(I think it was 1st quarter)…lion were in a bunch formation and they had Kalif Raymond blocking EDGE Chandler Jones.

Raymond just enough to make the play a success…but I dont know why Ben Johnson or even Campbell would have him do that.

Also…at one point in the run game they asked Brock Wright to block a DE one on one and poor Brock got ragdolled.

One…we need to get a big blocking TE because we wanna pound the rock.

Two…I dont wanna see little guys blocking explosive and big DEs…

So…I hope we see improvement with the scheme here.

Yes, and…I love the idea of using backup OL for those plays too (we do some of that, but it’s more obvious when we do).

Right on! LOL. Big ask, unless it’s some sort of trick play/quick release? I remember the play you are talking about. LOL

Always, always, always room for improvement. We will always be able to find some things wrong in every game. When we consider what’s going right, I feel like they are doing quite well. Bunch of couch dwellers starting in the NFL. LOL. When we get more talent, a whole lot of things are going to become far less glaring.

Yeah, so the TE or 6th OL thing is a an issue. We did lose a bigger TE in Fells so they know we need a bigger guy.

Everyone wants to have the fireworks offense, whereas I wanna see a completely dominant run game. I prefer a big RB. I thought Duce might wanna look at Freeman (former ducks RB)…just based on size. All Freeman needs to do is be one cut and go and run behind his pads. I dont know why no one can get more out of him but he is a load, and pretty freaking nimble for his size. And he has the size to pass block. Similar to packers AJ dillion. But Dillon finishes his runs better.

Ok…im just ramblin now.

1 Like

Our 2nd TE retired before the season and then Darren fells retired midsession. I’m sure we are aware of the issue and will address it in the off-season. Seems like they’ve tried to work around it but know exactly what they want

1 Like

The thing is this: is the bigger TE gonna be a staple of our offense or are we just gonna bring him in on certain formations to run the ball…?

That is very predictable…as is a 6th OL in the game.

Ok…and I did just remember that A-Lynn has a lot to do with the run game…

Was that his design to block Chandler Jones?

Maybe AZ gave a different look than expected?

Maybe Goff should have audibled??

I think a blocking atE with good hands will be a staple. Even though teams knew we brought in an extra lineman it still worked. If we get a guy who can block we’ll and get the occasional pass that’s be awesome for us.

1 Like

I mean ARSB was pancaking DEs at the top of the season. Khalid needs to eat his st.Brownies and catch up.

Word.

I would have had an orgasm if we would have somehow drafted Javonte Williams. Denver has snagged the guy I wanted 2 years in a row, now. ■■■■■■■!

1 Like

Javante is a monster. Looking back now he would have been a better pick than Levi.

1 Like

Would have had to trade up to get him too. Maybe Levi plus our 4th?
Levi + Iffy? (am I remembering that right?)

We wouldn’t have had Levi or iffy

1 Like

Sure stinks so far…

Levi was my guy in the draft.

1 Like

He’s going to improve. Not sure how much, but he will improve.

I feel like McNeil may outperform him. McNeil could be really solid. Levi might be serviceable-to good.

Dline guys can take a few years to develop. Especially inside guys. They need to build that man strength.

3 Likes