Why I lost hope in the Lions future

You fail to take into account the obvious fact that this franchise has had terrible luck for over 60 years! Good organizations built on a sound foundation overcome “bad luck”. The original post was only meant to note how quickly a franchise, at the bottom, can turn things around with the right leadership. It starts with ownership, unfortunately the Lions have the Fords.

I’ve lost hope in the BQ/MP tandem. They have taken a winning team that was challenging for the division into a cellar dweller. They’ve steadily gotten worse in the process.

Now we’re told they will make changes but I can’t see those changes being successful. Seriously what coach would want to come here and work under MP? Especially nowing that they’re likely on a one year deal.

Then I look at our roster and I see.

Slay wants out of DET and MP has tried to trade him without much success. I’m expecting us to trade him for far less than market value.

Robinson is a FA and it’s rumored he wants out. I don’t expect him back.
Snacks is coming off injury and talking of retirement. So we’re likely looking to overhaul our DT rotation.

GG is gonna test FA and likely won’t be back.

Our star RB can’t stay healthy and we’ve struggled to find a solid backup.

Our entire WR Corp has finished the season (two years in a row) injured. They can’t stay healthy and we have little behind them.

Our TE tandem which was suppose to be our strong point has TJ who had a sporadic rookie year. JJ who didn’t live up to his contract and Logan Thomas is a free agent.

Bottom line is I’m expecting our roster to be weaker in 2020 than it was in 2019. I see BQ/MP as selling the farm in an effort to save their jobs but ultimately failing to do so. I view 2020 as a lame duck year that’s just putting off the inevitable … which is another rebuild.

1 Like

I haven’t failed to take it into account, I just refuse to believe that these things can’t change. The Steelers were a laughing stock for 40 years under the Rooneys until they got the right coach. The 49ers fans I know have always claimed they win in spite of their ownership (from DeBartolo to York). The Giants and Maras have won multiple Super Bowls despite many awful decisions (McAdoo, Handley, Gettleman, Shurmur, etc…). The Fords don’t meddle like the Haslems and they aren’t fanboys like Snyder and they don’t believe they have all the answers like so, so many other owners; there’s no viable reason they shouldn’t be able to steward a winning franchise…

Except, as you mentioned, bad luck. And I admit that we’ve been unlucky. But I also don’t believe it’s something that’s contagious. Someday, we will have good luck.

Two years in a row now the Lions tailspin after midseason trades - of good players - on a team with a fighting chance (at the time of the trade)

2 Likes

You would think after sixty plus years, they would “stumble” across a better-than-average coach or GM. But alas, here we are. I have been convinced for many years now that a change needs to happen at the top…Ownership. This thought just grows and grows with every passing year. “If” they sell and they move the team, so be it. I’ll be better off in the long run.

I’m old and tired, and really do not give a shit anymore. Tired of our “Super Bowl in April”, “Super Bowl FA signing day” and planning for the next season before Thanksgiving. Maybe the off time will stem this sour taste, but doubt it this time. Six brief happy times does not cut it for over 50+ years of viewings.

Yeah, call me done…

1 Like

It does crack me up when peeps say we “fleeced” NYG out of Snacks. Yet, we’re defensive when Seattle does the exact same thing.

Hilarity ensues…

1 Like

Is the Rooney rule even an issue nowadays?

I actually think the weeks 1-5 2019 Detroit Lions were by far the best group of the BQ era and if they could’ve sustained that level of play perhaps even better than the 2014 team. Certainly more balanced. I think some of the Schwartz teams clearly had the most talent of any modern Lions team but woefully underperformed most of those years.

2 Likes

Snacks was an aging player at a position where when they hit the 30 year mark players often decline heavily. Rarely living up to their contracts. The NYG got out just before the decline hit. That‘s what good GM’s do.

Diggs was a young team leader on a cheap contract. A locker room guy who was in his prime. Good GM’a build around those types.

I think BQ made a bad trade in both scenarios.

1 Like

I’m talking about performance (record wise) not talent. I liked our roster at the start of the season. I think they over performed under Caldwell and have underperformed under MP. I had hopes they could build on 2018 but they’ve gotten worse.

MP took over a 9-7 team that was a divisional contender. He turned them into cellar dwellers in one season and his record has declined two years in a row. That’s a bad trend.

LOL! First time I ever heard Gettleman as a good GM.

lol … I was saying good GM’s do that not that Gettleman was a good GM.

Let’s not forget he shipped out a bunch of young talent to. Which I also stated bad GMs do.

1 Like

I took the last 2 seasons of Lions off, pushed over the cliff by the kneeling, but Lions are in your blood and you can never be cured. I even rooted for the Colts for a few years and they won a Superbowl while I was living there, still come back to the Lions. They really need something to bring back the fun though, I remember when Calvin, Stafford, and Suh were all young and there was hope, false hope, but hope. We have nothing now to get excited about.

1 Like

Except 60+ years of cold, hard evidence.

I truly believe it has to do with being inheritance babies born with golden spoons in mouth. They never built anything up. Any of them. William Clay, Martha, the kids.

2 Likes