Why I think Anthony Richardson's in play at #6

That’s a argument I can see merit with. I can also point to it easily could hurt the team if he flops,. If he doesn’t beat Goff you’d be extremely lucky to recoup a 6 OA pick. Your best hope would be he beats out Goff and Goff plays lights out for 2 yrs.

We are in a great spot to win the division next yr. A clip board holder doesn’t help that.

I see numerous people point to wanting a Herbert or Allen, etc, but what have they won? Goff has proven he can get there. We’ve entered our window, is throwing away a 6 OA pick that wont help next yr the right approach or is getting a potential immediate help the better approach.

I’ll put it this way. If Caleb Williams was there at 6OA, im with you. AR15 or Levis, not even a little. Id gamble on someone that’s shown me enough to be a star at 6. I wouldn’t even consider a project at 6. It’s way to high a pick imo for a project, i want someone that’s proven a lot more than that.

Your premise i get, and could get on board with if the QB was there. I don’t view him as anywhere near that

1 Like

LOL and ferraris are notorious for breaking down.

I get the point, but you’d have to start with the better car, not a yugo.

I don’t see a better car at 6, I see hopes and dreams, and those are yrs down the road on a huge if iit ever happens.

The car we currently have is a proven model, a top 10 at that. It’s going to need to be a hell of a car to beat it

2 Likes

I’m not for or against the idea. I trust Brad’s judgment on whether Richardson is worth the pick.

Drafting a QB is an investment unlike any other position. Even if they “miss” they can still trade him for decent draft capital, because teams will always take a gamble on the reclamation project. It’s just too important of a position, so I get the positional value argument.

4 Likes

That’s actually a really good comp. Good call.

Now obviously Richardson doesn’t have the off the field stuff that Pryor did.

I’d also argue Richardson is a much better processor than Pryor was and he seems to at least have a plan when he goes off script.

For sure, I definitely hear ya… it’s all hypotheticals at this point and we all know there is gonna be a ton of change to prospect rankings between now and April…

In regards to the drafting a QB argument, I think even if you have a rookie or second/third year guy you aren’t wild about or who isn’t developing, they still hold value. For example, what would a trade for Trey lance look like if some team wanted him? What about Jordan love the past couple years before Rodgers took a step down this year? A good example I would say is what the patriots did with garrapallo when they still had Brady…

I definitely hear where you’re coming from, and trust me I really like Goff… but if you can take a guy who can 1) start and be cheaper in a year or two or 2) you protect and cover them up so other teams don’t really know what the potential is and trade them for more draft picks down the line, I think you really can’t go wrong either way. And given we have so many top picks and this draft seems to be deeper in middle talent than top end, it makes sense to draft a project QB while still being able to address holes on the team.

1 Like

I very much agree with this, what defines a project? Every rookie is a project, some with less development needed than others, but they all still need to develop. Very few walk into the league at NFL level talent

Well, I’ve saved this post and i will
Be reminded of it in two years. We will revisit this in two years.

1 Like

This Dre Bly news has reinvigorated my Emmanuel Forbes love.

Lol I’m sorry… Desmond Ridder…

OK.

The same Desmond Ridder who went from a potential top 5 pick to a 3rd round pick… and if I recall was a notorious asshole…

Yeah certainly a similar sort of dude, we always brought Bly up when we talked about Forbes. Of course I wouldn’t expect Bly to have much input into our draft just yet. I’m sure they’ll get his opinion but that will probably be that.

1 Like

Let’s play a what if game: companies, teams, world gov’t plan for contingencies. Let’s say in 2024 you have to pay Goff his money or Sewell his money. Pay Goff or lose Sewell, Sun God etc……who do you sign? Is Goff that important? Do you believe in Goff THAT much?

3 Likes

Goff is 3rd on that list for me great point… and that’s what they are looking at, because they want Sewell and st. Brown to be lifetime lions

2 Likes

Hahahhahshahshaha

Please go find examples. State your case with real data. I will wait.

I dont remember a single person on this board who thought Willis at #2OA was a sane idea…

2 Likes

You sign both, we’ll be in good enough cap shape to do so.

If you draft AR15, and get super lucky and he hits, how much more are you paying him just 2 yrs later? Do you resign him or Hutch, Kirby.,Jamo?

Fun? We’ve been done with Lions football for 1 month and I am already over some of these threads lol

1 Like

Seems a lot of guys I really like are likely to go in between our first and second rounders.

Lol, I’m trying to be positive. I’m already annoyed it’s the offseason and it’s feb 3.

1 Like

True that! Next year will be much better for us!

1 Like

I wish it was that simple. If it was then we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. There wouldn’t be rumors about qb being in play. They wouldn’t be scouting so many qbs so extensively. They aren’t going to be able to sign all the key pieces they want to sign IF they sign Goff to the deal that he is going to be wanting………I stand by what I said. Goff will not get an extension in Detroit. You are more likely to see him traded.

Because it won’t be the offseason yet

1 Like