Why I'm Happy with 2022 Even if we Lose the Last two Games

I hope to hell we win V. the Bears and Packers to go 5-1 in division. That would also give the Lions a winning record if we sweep the Bears and Packers and that means the playoffs are still a possibility. But even if we lose out and go 3-3 in division this season was still a HUGE success for the Lions.

I saw Dan Campbell turning the corner and becoming a viable head coach. I believe Goff is a guy we can win with. Even though the loss via the Panthers SUCKED I think Glenn showed improvement overall as a DC and Ben Johnson played BIG in big moments.

This run has been awesome. My faith has been renewed. But this Lions team isn’t ready yet to run big as the Panthers just exposed this defense by punching them in the face and we had no response. The offense also struggles to run the football too often. That is a problem.

I want to keep as much of this core intact but talent overall is STILL an issue and nowhere is that more apparent than the secondary. 2023 free agency isn’t going to save this team. Coaching and player growth and another strong draft WILL put this team over the top however as long as we retain the critical talent we need to keep. I think John Cominsky, DJ Chark and DeShon Elliott are at the top of the Lions retention list, above RB Jamaal Williams.

If the Lions see a significant jump from Jameson Williams, Josh Paschal, Levi O. (if he is ever healthy), Hutch and a few other that will help. James Houston too. But this upcoming draft is significant to cementing a team that can compete and never, ever get pushed around again like the Panthers and others have done to this club.

This DL isn’t there yet even if we get a healthy Levi and luckily there are two guys who can finish this DL available including Jalen carter or Bryan Bresee for my $. That DL is deep and talented. The secondary needs TWO CBs now that AO has regressed so badly that he may ne out of the NFL. Cam Smith, Kelee Ringo or a Brian Branch for my $. That is two critical starters for the defense.

In rd. 2 I think the secondary HAS to remain the focus as Iffy just isn’t an option. Brad’s first significant miss. This club needs another top CB (maybe a Garrett Williams?) and I think another strong safety. That will shore up the secondary for years to come if we lock down Elliott, we have Walker, we have Kerby Joseph and maybe a Tyler Nubin.

That leaves LBer, RB (which I see as a larger need now than I did two months ago at this point) and other positions of need out there for us still. But we only have a 3rd, 5h and 2 6th rd. picks to get this job done. With that in mind I might swing for a star and take a shot with this deep RB group and I add a guy like RB Zach Charbonnet in rd. 3. Big, fast and productive.

LBer is my real head scratcher but overall counting on development from Rodrigo might be our best option. Derrick Barnes is also continuing to grow and he is under contract.

With all that in mind my Lions became a tough out in 2022. Campbell is a viable head coach to me. Goff is a viable starting level QB. The offense is close and the defense still needs work but Holmes should have the tools he needs to field a better roster in 2023 than he fielded in 2022. That should mean playoffs in 2023. A more exciting season too and I am pretty damn happy with how 2022 is rounding out overall.

4 Likes

I think we need a top end rb too.

For me now that rams pick will be a bit lower would be to get with first 5 picks

1a- best cb available
1b- either top rb or a playmaker at lb
2a- another cb
2b whatever not taken at 1b
3- dt to help stop run

If they resign most of their guys the pass rush will be good enough

1a. BCBA (Cam Smith, Joey Porter, Christian Gonzalez)
1b. Bijan Robinson/Brian Branch
2a. CB
2b. LB
3. DT

And to answer the OP, if they don’t win one of these last 2 games I’m a lot less optimistic then I was at 7-7. They need to find a way to finish at least 8-9. 9-8 and I would be thrilled.

1 Like

Arrow definitely pointing up.

Studs = ARSB, Ragnow, Sewell, Jonah Jackson and Hutch
Solid = Goff, Decker, Kalif, Okudah, and Tracy Walker
Rookie Hopefuls = Kujo, Rodrigo, Jamo, and Mitchell

In FA we need a stud corner and run-stopping DT like Snacks was back in the day.
Then, I’d actually draft pass rush a stud C/G (to complete the line when we need a guard and to backup Ragnow when we don’t), plus an RB you gotta account for like Bijan.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.