Why the Rams won the Stafford-Goff trade in an absolute landslide

While I agree that had very little help while he was here and could/should thrive elsewhere, it is absolutely debatable. In fact isn’t that the whole purpose of these boards?

That story is a joke. Dude is basically comparing Stafford to Goff and if it were a one for one trade then yeah we got hosed, however, two first round picks and a third may slightly tip the value scale over to our side.

3 Likes

I don’t think its a landslide either way. Think of it like this:

Part A: Stafford for LAR 2021 third and 2022 first. To me, that’s pretty meh, especially where the Rams will likely pick.

Part B: Goff to Lions and Lions get a 2023 first to take on his bad contract. This is what the Rams were faced with. Even this part of it, no one really comes out ahead.

The lions could trade Goff this off season yet…who knows what their big picture will be?..we could be looking to get another qb in the draft to sit and wait while the Lions improve all over hhe place especially the defense. Need better O line play especially in opening holes for the Rbs…

This is key and will be interesting to watch.
Obviously Lions fans weren’t the only ones who think Stafford is good enough
We felt had Stafford been paired with a McVay type coach on the Lions
The Lions were in the mix for Super Bowls.

I think now we find out some more like what are Stafford’s strengths ? How does he adapt or how will Rams adapt to him ?
Is he strength going through progressions and reading defenses or audibulling out of bad run plays ? How does he read defenses ?
Are his passes really accurate or tough to catch ?

I think Stafford is good.

I’m still shook lions culture change actually has them trading him away rather than forcing him to retire a lion

I’m also shook that after years of reading how bad Goff is ( mostly in Pride of Detroit )
I’m
Now reading a lot of different opinions in his potential.

I wonder if he can just buy or rent the Stafford’s home. That place looks lovely.

You figure that the Rams gave us a first rounder to take Goff off of their hands. If we trade Goff, it would probably be along with one of those first rounders for, for, …nothing maybe? Never say never, but I don’t see it. I think we’re giving him a chance in 21.

I suppose if there is a developmental QB at 7OA (i.e. Lance) that others like and that Dorsey doesn’t like, we could move back along with giving up Goff. Somehow I think if that there’s any possibility of moving Goff, that it would be on draft day.

First of all, I don’t give a flip which team won or lost, I only care it is was in the best interests for the Lions. If Stafford and the Rams win the SB over the next couple of years, hooray for them. I do hope for the best for Stafford, the guy was a warrior here and IMHO deserves a shot at the big game. Maybe the Lions coulda got a better deal from the WFT or some other team, but to me this is good for Matt, good for the Rams, and should be good for the Lions in the long run.

Why? Cuz right now this team has a lot of issues, which I think we all know. The truth is that Stafford wasn’t going to take this team to the playoffs; IMHO, no QB could. That being the case, the Lions have tried to rebuild the team through the draft and probably some inexpensive FAs, and claw their way back up to respectability. Can’t happen, you say? Bullshit. But they’re going to need to hit on their picks and those FA signings. No more wasted money on big contracts where the guy comes here and basically goes through the motions. More picks = a better chance to build a good team.

I don’t see the Lions as an above .500 team this year and maybe not next year either. After that, it depends on how well Holmes and co build our roster and how well DC uses it. It sucks to lose Stafford, I think the guy did the best he could under the circumstances. And I am perfectly fine seeing him in LA with a team that has the potential to be pretty good. I wish him well.

3 Likes

This is an idiotic topic. This trade will take years to settle. The Lions could use
That first in 2023 to draft the next Brady, and that might not be realized until years later. Too many media outlets online and people are desperate for views as a result

1 Like

They could have just cut Goff and taken the same cap hit.

Goff was the enticement in addition to the pair of future 1st rounders and the 3rd.

Every year the rams get criticized for mortgaging their future. Every year they are competing for playoffs and championships. They are getting just as good draft classes without their first rounders. And the picks they trade are going for elite proven players. Two or three years from now they will trade away more future picks. People will make the same comments. The rams will keep competing in the playoffs.

2 Likes

It’s sad “journalism” has sunk to this type of level. The “reporter” just sees something on Twitter, parrots it as absolute truth while doing no thinking of his own, and created a clickbait headline. Barf.

Anyone with even a basic understanding of the NFL clearly knows the Lions didn’t “hamstring” themselves with Goff, or take on “frightening debt” in this deal.

Goff will cost the Lions a salary around the ballpark of Teddy Bridgewater. And probably get Teddy Bridgewater production as well if I had to guess. The Lions have to have someone start at QB until they get the next guy. Might as well see if Goff can be a reclamation project while taking a boatload of picks in the mean time.

Very short sighted article and a sad summary of where “journalism” has gone.

3 Likes

Is that sustainable though? Has anyone ever had sustained success in the NFL doing that model for a long period of time? Just because you can get away with something for a couple years, does that mean it will continue to work as it had forever? Just questions…

If they have to win a Super Bowl to justify the trade, that naturally means you have to make the assumption that they would win the Super Bowl if they kept those picks.

We get nothing that helps us in 2021. Our cap situation just got worse, our QB situation just got worse and all we get for 2021 is a 3rd round pick in the 80s.

The two 1st round picks will be in the 20s. Not exactly great ammunition for trading up.

The Rams get a QB who is smart enough to work with McVay and will transform their offense, and the get rid of Goff just like that.

I wonder how much Agnew as their former head of pro scouting had to do with the evaluation of Stafford on their side, and how tough Holmes would have been making his first deal with his old boss. That part of it stinks.

Overall the Rams have done well out of the Lions this offseason: QB upgrade for draft picks they like trading anyway, and four 3rd round comp picks for our GM and AGM hires. If we had hired someone else they probably get none of that.

9/10 for the Rams, Stafford has the brain to maximise a McVay offense, the only risk is his health.

4/10 for the Lions, solves the QB issue but no benefit this year and the future picks won’t be high.

Maybe it’s not sustainable. But who cares? If they make runs at championships for 3 more years… then it falls apart so what? So then they start a new. Just like the lions are all the time without the playoff wins

2 Likes

That works for me… He can be our coach in 2-3 years after Knee Cap gets canned :joy:

Anything short of a SB and the Rams lost this trade, it’s as simple as that.

1 Like

Need to take it at face value. Goff comes in on a 2 year contract to audition as a franchise QB. To rebuild this franchise properly will take in excess of 2 seasons. Use the picks wisely and no need to reach for a QB this year. Fix the D first and foremost, select your QB when he falls in your lap, vs. selling the farm to get to him.

1 Like

That’s not what you said though. You said in 2 or 3 more years, they will trade all their draft picks again, and “keep winning.” I’m saying the assumption that you can trade away all your draft picks while still winning and it’ll last forever may be a flawed assumption. Lions fans should know more than anyone - if you don’t hit on some of your picks it comes back to bite you 3-4 years down the road. It’s not an immediate thing. I have no crystal ball of course, but I’m curious if this is sustainable, or whether the lack of young home grown talent just hasn’t caught up to them yet.

Trading Goff saves them $11m against the cap ($30m dead cap against Goffs $41m charge). Cutting him would have cost them $30.5m against the cap ($71m dead cap). He has guarantees for future years, that are now ours, so we can’t cut him either.