Wide Receiver targets

What I like about Godwin is he’s currently 25, by all accounts is an extremely hard worker, healthy, and has had success with different QB’S. Brady no longer has the arm he had ten years ago, and I don’t know how either one currently compares, but I would think that the arm strength of Brady and Goff to be comparable at least?

Godwin is about as far from a “turd” as it gets, and I think from multiple aspects that he presents the best all-around fit for what Campbell has said they’re looking for at the position.

Something else to keep in mind is how the Rams front office, and Holmes has been in several articles about those transactions, have shown a tendency to go for the gold in free agents and trades. Suh, Ramsey, Cooks, they made a practice of going after game changers.

1 Like

Agree 100%.

We have zero dollars invested in the position. Get a reliable WR. One that is an actual upgrade to the position. Not a body…we have those.

It would also be extremely disappointing to see this staff not recognize what a disaster this season was due to this exact strategy at WR. We did it with Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman. If they choose to do that again, that’s a recognition issue. Which is a big problem with building a roster that can win games. If they are so incompetent as to not fix the biggest hole on this team, my doubts skyrocket. I believe it’s a forgone conclusion they are signing the best FA WR willing to come. So I worry about this very little.

1 Like

Why on earth would Chris Godwin willingly leave Tampa Bay for Detroit and that team for this team?

mOaR mOnEY!!!

How much would you have to offer him though? 23m per? We’d have to overpay for sure. If he leaves I think he goes back home to Philly. They can also franchise him once more I believe. I’d imagine that TB will do that if necessary.

Allen Robinson is probably the most realistic option. And he is a really good WR who’s produced with straight bums his entire career

3yr/60m

It’s more than 3 straight bums, :laughing:. I don’t think he’s had a decent QB his ENTIRE career. Blake Bortles?

I really like Robinson, I do, but the nicks and dings are really adding up. I just don’t see the value if he’s going to miss half the games. If you’re going that route, you might as well include Will Fuller in the conversation.

At this point in his career, for his third contract, I see Robinson as being better served from his career standpoint, as being 1A, not undisputed #1, which this team needs.

As others have pointed out, rookie receivers seldom make the anticipated, immediate impact. Randy Moss and Jamaar Chase are exceptions, not the rule, and plenty of them bust altogether.

If you can entice a guy like Godwin, you take a deep breath and back up the Brinks truck, cross your fingers and hope you nailed it. From an all around fit standpoint, I just don’t see a Better option, but that’s just me.

I wouldn’t discount a trade either. We have the picks. Seattle might blow things up this offseason, something to consider :thinking:

If the Lions draft a big-time prospect, you’d think that the role would be more like 1A between the rook, Hock, and Swift. The mere presence of a legit guy like Robinson would immediately make those other guys better.

1 Like

ARob and Marcus Williams is my bone run free agency scenario. We really have to win and for Goff to play well down the stretch for that to be possible. But we have the hometown connection with ARob and the coaching connection with Williams.

1 Like

So the forgone conclusion is ARob will only play half his games moving forward? If the league thought that, he probably wouldn’t get another contract.

Of course I would choose Godwin over Robinson. But I was just giving the most realistic get at our biggest need. If we sign Robinson + add a WR with either our 1B or 2nd round pick, this staff recognized their biggest need, and filled it with an A+ grade.

If we landed these two FAs I would be so stoked headed into the draft. And I honestly think it’s doable.

I would give up our 1B pick for metcalf…but not Lockett.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Love GIF

I’m adding “bone run” into my lexicon now, even though I know it was a likely swype mistake.

Well, let me throw a :wrench: wrench in this. Let’s say you can trade for DK Metcalf and nail down an extension. Not out of the realm of possibility.

For it to be doable we really need to play well down the stretch with Goff showing well. We have a culture that players will want to join but they have to think they can win.

I can’t imagine that Lockett is really all that traceable. Long in the tooth with a big contract.

Edit: actually looking at it he wouldn’t be too bad through '23. But still those are his age 30 and 31 seasons. Still doubt he would command much in a trade but he probably is traceable.

Cutting Flowers gives us over $50 million towards the cap next year, we have the dough to go big. I like ARob but he is in decline and would be 29 when next season starts, and IF he can play the rest of the games this year he projects out at under 600 yards. Signing Reynolds would be a great step forward if he can keep up his play from what we’ve seen the last 2 games. I’ve been higher on Cephus than pretty much everyone here but counting on him to be more than a 3 is a stretch in the near future. I’m really having a hard time trying to put a stamp on any FA WR at this point, I can only really say who I don’t want. I’m all over getting one with our #2 or #3 though.

1 Like

I’m really intrigued by Chark bc a true vertical threat would really help Goff in the intermediate game.

1 Like

See, this is exactly why I am so pessimistic about being able to really do anything in FA. No decent (let alone elite) player is going to come the the Lions unless we break the bank for them (even then not a guarantee). Godwin has had great success playing with the GOAT, won a superbowl, has a great chance to win another and we think he is coming here?! Not a chance without HUGE compensation.

Let’s see how we play these last five games. Can we go 3-2 down the stretch? If so (and provided) Goff plays good football I think we can be a compelling destination. We have very charismatic coaches which will help us if we can get FAs in for visits.

He had 86 for 1333 and 9 TD’s with Jameis Winston. It’s not just Brady he’s been productive with.

All true, and that will be true of any game changers you sign or retain. It’s a hard sell to say, honey, pack the house up, we’re moving to Detroit. You better have millions of reasons why.