Would you be ok with paying Goff 35 million a year to win one playoff game?

God Please would the draft just get here, only the 1,346,456th thread on QB and Goff :exploding_head:

1 Like

Here are the “viable” plans I see with Goff.

1. Goff does great in 2023, Detroit wins 1 or more playoff games. We extend him prior to 2024 season.
  2. Goff does great in 2023, Detroit wins 1 or more playoff games. We don’t extend him until after 2024.
  3. Goff does mediocre in 2023, we draft a QB in 2024 draft and let them sit behind Goff 1 year.
  4. Goff does mediocre/bad in 2023, we draft a QB in 2024 and they start right away, Goff cut.

I believe options 1 or 2 are the most likely. I expect Goff to do great and him to be our QB for the next 5 years with a SB appearance. If Goff slips in 2023, then I’d entertain the drafting a QB discussion.

For those that make the illogical move of drafting a QB in 2023 at #6

1. The ONLY way the scenario really works out is if Goff sucks or is mediocre in 2023.
  2. I don’t think ANY of these QB’s are going to end up better than Goff as a pro with the maybe exception of Stroud. Downgrading our QB position makes no sense to me.
  3. If Goff does have a great 2023 and wins 1 or more playoff games, you WASTED the QB pick. We could have had a probowler at another position. This isn’t exactly the Jordan Love at the bottom of the first discussion. #6 is where you expect to draft franchise cornerstones.

I would prefer a QB who does not demand to be the highest paid QB but wins Super Bowls. If that is Goff cool, if not that is OK also.

2 Likes

I’m fine with Goff for these 2 years but if we extend him and paying him close to 40m I’ll pass. I don’t think we can win a championship with him. With our roster and o-line he will be a top 10 QB I just don’t want a good regular season performance and a playoff birth blind us into believing he’s worthy of that contract. I think if Holmes believes in any or these QB’s coming out then you go for him, if not ride with Goff let’s get the division then get our QB in the 24 draft. It’s Rams all over again. You can win with Goff if you set him up right but all it takes is a bad start or being down and in that situation i don’t think he can deliver. It’s my opinion. And I’ll come back to this after he panics in the playoffs and lays a egg… don’t come to me if he puts up top 10 stats I think he will ball out this offense and Ben Johnson will make it easy, playoffs a different ball game.

There’s no other option, the dude will ball out and make playoffs this team is ready to compete and he’s set up perfectly rn… let’s say we win division and win one playoff game is that good enough for u to extend him? And let me ask you do you think you can win a championship with Goff? Idc about making a Super Bowl appearance. I’m talking about winning it

1 Like

Huh?
Was he behind "this OL and in this “system” when he went to the Superbowl ?

Also, why do you think the Giants paid DJ that money? Like honestly, I don’t think DJ is even close to the QB that Goff is…but yet we’re not supposed to pay Goff!!!
And will paying Goff 15 million more a year really going to “cripple” us when the salary cap keeps going up every year?

Dude shit himself in the super bowl. He missed cooks the dude was open for a min, he had a solid offensive line and the defense shut Brady to 13 points. What else do you want? This is my point, Injuries happen when things go south can he deliver? No he can’t… the rams literally traded him after giving him a contract cause they knew they ■■■■■■ up, they moved quick and ate it. Stafford lost Odell, playing with his 3rd string tightend and 7th round reciever and running game was averaging 2.9 yards per carry and only really had Kupp… he delivered it and found a way.

1 Like

Goff didn’t have his best WR (Kupp) and Brandin Cooks dropped 2 TD passes. What would his stats had been if Cooks catches those passes? Something like 300 yards, 2 TD’s, and 1 interception.
I know, what-if’s, you don’t want to play in what-if’s but it does help with some understanding.

There’s a short list of QB’s that have thrown 2 interceptions in a Superbowl and their team still won the Superbowl and Matt is on that list…oh but “he delivered and found a way”. More like the Rams defense found a way to hold Cincy scoreless in the 4th quarter to hold on to a 3 point win.
Do you think the 2021 Bengals were as good as the 2018 Patriots?

1 Like

Did you vote in the OP poll even though you don’t agree with scenario in the poll question?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I would pay Goff 35M a year on an extension after the draft. That’s a deal for what QB’s are getting now.

My reference was his time here. When the OL was healthy and Johnson’s offense was implemented he thrived. In order to retain that OL and the weapons it’ll will be tough. Yes the cap will keep going up, but we have multiple players due at the same time as a potential QB extension. And agree with DJ, using the reference that he got an asinine amount and frankly he blows. The Giants, not aware of their situation, don’t have multiple OLs due extensions soon, ASB due, defensive pieces (I’m speaking 3 years out on all this). How many large extensions can we afford? We can’t keep all, and if the rest are due it’s hard case to make paying a QB that much. Eagles we’re able to draft and build their team exactly how many of us want by having a cheap QB.

Is extending Goff at 40 million the viable play when, as in LA, his most effect time was with a great run game.

Just don’t feel we are prepared for QB as a winning team, because we haven’t been. We are in a situation now where the QB could hold us back, or an injury to Goff can kill the season. I like Goff, but I’m not paying him that amount of money.

1 Like

I just know how hard it is to find a QB. Maybe you are too young to remember the decades pre stafford…

We are 10 time more likely to get worse than better if we moved on from goff.

Personally i do have an issue with the qb prices. I understand wanting to go cheaper. But expect to get much worse. The odds say you will miss a couple times before you find decent qb play again. That process normally takes many years

So now we gonna play the what if game… lol. Bro that’s exactly my point, everything needs to be perfect. Dude laid an egg end of discussion. He’s a good QB but if we pay him 40m We won’t win a chip.

Stafford game on the line delivered didn’t throw a duck with a wide open cooks calling for the ball. He makes that throw game changes. There was another play 3-3 and missed him wide open in the middle, these things happen often with him, it happened this year vs cowboys, holds on to ball and panics. Sure there are games where the team doesn’t help him and it’s not all on him but if I’m paying 40m to a QB he better grab the game by the neck and come thru when shit going south.

Let me ask u, Jalen Hurts rn has a solid team this par year team stacked, you think eagles will be able to retain those players and make it to the chip with hurts making 40?

Most dangerous thing is entering QB purgatory with a guy that’s just good enough to not move on from for a long time.

Brad Holmes;

Far easier to go backwards than forward at the QB position.

1 Like

I said this earlier and I’ll say it again… your best chance to compete consistently is to take
the high upside guy you can develop. It’s worth the
risk. Drafting a bust at QB doesn’t set a franchise
back as much as drafting a mid QB. People freak out
at Zach Wilson being awful but the Jets can just
move on now. Meanwhile the Patriots are entering QB purgatory with a guy that’s just good enough to not move on from for a long time.

So do you expect the Eagles to let Hurts go?

1 Like

Closer to 60 than 40 by then… 40 will be middle of the road qb pay

1 Like

I don’t expect them to let him go but I promise you his game will drop and he will be exposed once he gets paid and the talent around the team takes a dip. Same reason why I wouldn’t pay what Lamar is asking for nor Daniel jones or Kirk cousin… those QB’s u can win with but not good enough to be taking a big percentage of the cap and carrying a team. Goff can’t carry a team, he’s a good QB but he can’t carry a team that’s weak running the ball or offensive line.

It’s not though, if Stafford’s receivers dropped some TD passes in their Superbowl and they lost, would you be saying that Matt needs everything perfect?..that Matt didn’t figure out a way to win it?

And how is “everything perfect” while Goff has been in Detroit? Our OC sucked, we have a record-setting bad defense, our 2 big Free Agent WR’s last year barely played and totally sucked ass. Tyrell had 2 receptions and I don’t think Breshad had any. Our best O-linemen played 4 games last year and played most of this year injured. Swift doesn’t know what it’s like to play a whole season or not play injured.
Sorry, I’m not buying what you’re selling.

1 Like

Matt doesn’t need everything perfect he won’t shit himself when he sees cover zero or struggle to read the defense or throw the ball out or bounds on 4th down. And I don’t like the what if, he delivered and won the chip. Y’all celebrating Goff and he lost it. Goff is good QB! Let’s get that straight we can win with him, but we won’t won’t he chip with him, games get tighter and it gets hard and when defenses know you’re passing and we need him to be clutch in those games… I don’t believe in him sorry