WR at 32/34?

Will any of them still be available?? Lol

The more WR’s that go early might help some linebackers and safeties drop which we desperately need.

5 Likes

There should be, sure. And if not, I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded up for one we liked. WR has a much higher positional value than S or LB, and as we can see by these crazy contracts, it’s just going up and up and up.

1 Like

I dunno. The Packers traded Adams. KC is about to dump Hill. Those are teams right in front of us who will need WRs. I figure there are about six guys that we’d love to have at 32.

Wilson
Olave
London
Williams
Dotson
Burks

I was pondering the other day a draft of London and Olave thinking that pairing them with the Sun God would be a blast. But I would be surprised if we got even one of them.

That’s my point. It looks like a gauntlet of WR needy teams right in front of the Lions picks at 32/34. Chark, St Brown, and Reynolds are at least passable starters in what I assume will be another throwaway year. So it’s not that pressing…. Maybe they load up on defensive talent instead.

But man WRs are breaking the bank. Really, really advantageous to have good ones locked up with a 5th year option right now.

4 Likes

Nakobe Dean at #32 sounds pretty damn good to me there are plenty of good WRs available in the 2nd -4th rds.George Pickens the height/speed type is the guy I keep coming up with if they take a WR at 32 or 34.

5 Likes

Yeah, I figured you were headed that direction.

The other thing worth considering is what we did last year. I know you won’t get a fifth year on it, but the other side of the coin is that WR talent has been streaming out of the draft recently. Yes, those are the six best WR (arguably) but how much worse are Pickens/Watson/Bell types going to be? We found St Brown in the 4th round. Can we do it again?

5 Likes

A guy you haven’t heard much about due to his injury, is Metchie. Most mocks have him in the third I’ve seen. Mid to late third. There will be options at WR most rounds.

4 Likes

It is what it is, the only thing we can do about it if we love one of those guys is trade up. Personally I like Skyy Moore, Pickens and Watson enough that I’m fine no matter what happens. Even if we don’t end up with any of those guys, I’m fine. WR classes are getting deeper and deeper thanks to all the collegiate passing, I’m not sure this spike in pay is gonna hold over the long term. Too much supply.

5 Likes

Yep. Metchie is almost forgotten about. Jalen Torbert might drop to 66 who knows. Nobody thought St Brown would be there. Pierce is another guy who might drop.

3 Likes

I swear everytime I play with mock drafts, I always forget about Metchie and am shocked with where he goes. It’s always damn, what a value pick.

I’d love the Lions to move back from 32 or 34 and pick up an extra 3rd, then take him.

If that many WR’s go then that will push other talent down the board. I am all for adding a WR early in this draft, but if we have to grab another mid round guy wait until next year then so be it.

Chark, St Brown, Reynolds, Cephus, and Raymond isn’t horrendous. Still probably a bottom 10 unit, but not bottom 5.

I’m starting to wonder that we may end up drafting a 2nd or 3rd position reciever in round 3 with all the teams sitting between our top 2 picks possibly drafting the top 5 to 7 recieves. As you said, Lions may just go defense in their first 3 picks with BPA formula.

1 Like

After watching the prices for WR’s skyrocket this off-season…that 5th year option sure would look better on a wideout…than it would on a LB or DT.

That’s definitely a thought going through Brad Holmes’s brain. That 5th year option is valuable, and you don’t get it with the 34th pick.

But what the hell do I know?..pick a LB…or Safety at 32.

3 Likes

Receiver is deep. I’d rather have 3rd/4th best safety or linebacker.
Just personal opinion.

That fifth year option will be enticing trade bait. They will get calls.

2 Likes

Not after Green Bay and Kansas City rake in their harvest. :face_exhaling: :face_exhaling: :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Holmes got St. Brown in the 4th. I absolutely trust his judgment wherever he drafts them.

4 Likes

Now that we have Reynolds and Chark, drafting a better Cephus-clone like David Bell falling to #66 is far from the worst thing in the world. For instance, biting into an apple and finding half of a worm is worse. I mean, it’s protein but you get the idea…

1 Like

Playing with the sims (I know, I know), Metchie goes near 78, Bell is there at 97 multiple times where I get him.

It is entirely possible that he will fall to #97, but that is an overreaction to his combine performance, IMO. He never was going to beat you with long speed, but he does everything else on the football field well, apparently with spatial awareness rather than pure athleticism. He’s the football analogue of Greg Maddux. How the hell does he do that?

Do not mark my words…

1 Like