WR David Bell

Why the microscope of NFL Draft evaluators may not tell the whole David Bell story

By Scott Dochterman

Apr 17, 2022

INDIANAPOLIS — Along the notoriously tight sidelines at Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium, Purdue receiver David Bell shook hands, took pictures and exchanged hugs after the Boilermakers’ shocking 24-7 upset of then-No. 2 Iowa last fall.

Bell was Purdue’s offensive catalyst against a defense that ultimately led the nation in interceptions. On this mid-October afternoon, Bell caught 11 passes for 240 yards and a score, plus drew a pass interference call on a pivotal third-down play. His production was nothing new against Iowa; in three games, he finished with 37 catches for 558 yards and five touchdowns. The previous career best by a receiver against Iowa was 420 yards.

Just as Bell turned toward his locker room, an Iowa fan in the stands hollered at Bell. With seats located just seven yards from the playing surface, jeers often take opposing players out of their game. Instead, the taunts seemed to galvanize Bell. This time, instead of yelling anything negative, the fan held out his right hand.

“David, great game,” he said, which was captured by Big Ten Network. “As an Iowa fan, go to the NFL, would you please? PLEASE!?”

Bell (6-1, 212 pounds) shook the fan’s hand and said, “I gotta see.” By season’s end, after clinching consensus first-team All-American honors, the Indianapolis native made the Iowa fan’s day by declaring for the NFL Draft. Bell was named the league’s receiver of the year, which was no small feat competing with Ohio State’s trio of Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave and Jaxon Smith-Njigba plus Penn State’s Jahan Dotson and the 2020 winner, Indiana’s Ty Fryfogle.

For more:

Wonder if Bell is in play for the Lions especially if they focus on defense for the 1st three draft picks.

I want this guy just, for his name.

It’s a great article.

In 2020 vs IOWA Bell had 13 receptions for 121 yards and 3 TD’s. He gets open but can catch the ball in traffic. 2021 he had 93 catches for 134 targets, 13.8 ypc, 69%. If we went D with our first 3 picks, OK, but I want Bell at 66 then.

1 Like

If we wait on WR and just add him at 66 I’m totally fine with it. Dude is a baller.

1 Like

Beat me to it. Couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.